Skip to content

changing party alignment

Hey,

So I'm relatively new to Baldur's Gate and am currently at the area where you've recently stumbled upon -- and decimated -- the bandit's camp.

My party at present consists of Minsc, Dynaheir, Imoen, a chaotically good Mage, Xan and Kivan.

After looking around, I discovered Viconia, saved, reloaded and then rescued Branwen for the sake of comparison. I'd like to swap out Xan for one or the other.

I'd kind of like to spice things up and have some more evil characters in my party, though my moral inclination in most quests so far has been to do things with the best intentions. My reputation is currently at 17.

I read evil characters are likely to leave once you scale past 18 and that you can prevent this from engaging in small acts of cruelty (being caught pickpocketing etc.).

I don't really have any inclinations to play in an evil sense, so am I missing out by sticking to the higher road? Are there more cool good/neutral characters to come?

Most of this internal conflict (and hence my reason for signing up here) arose because Viconia just seemed so damn cool.

Comments

• FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    doctordog said:

Most of this internal conflict (and hence my reason for signing up here) arose because Viconia just seemed so damn cool.

She is, but like most NPCs in BG1 she doesn't have too much dialoge.

All joinable NPCs in BG1: http://gamebanshee.com/baldursgate/companions.php
    if you click the image you can see their alignment.

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    doctordog said:

Hey,

So I'm relatively new to Baldur's Gate and am currently at the area where you've recently stumbled upon -- and decimated -- the bandit's camp.

My party at present consists of Minsc, Dynaheir, Imoen, a chaotically good Mage, Xan and Kivan.

After looking around, I discovered Viconia, saved, reloaded and then rescued Branwen for the sake of comparison. I'd like to swap out Xan for one or the other.

I'd kind of like to spice things up and have some more evil characters in my party, though my moral inclination in most quests so far has been to do things with the best intentions. My reputation is currently at 17.

I read evil characters are likely to leave once you scale past 18 and that you can prevent this from engaging in small acts of cruelty (being caught pickpocketing etc.).

I don't really have any inclinations to play in an evil sense, so am I missing out by sticking to the higher road? Are there more cool good/neutral characters to come?

Welcome, it seems you've done well for a first playthrough if you found the bandit camp easy. A few things to say regarding your questions...

1) I know it's tempting to recruit everyone you come across and try them out, you would be missing out on xp for your party if you keep switching members around.

2) Evil characters will complain if your reputation gets high (which it already is), and will leave you once it hits 18.

3) In general, Evil characters are stronger than their good/neutral counterparts. (Edwin > Dyanheir, Kagain > Khalid etc). However...

4) The game strongly pushes you to play good. In most circumstances, choosing the noble path provides greater rewards.

5) Merchant prices depends on your reputation, so an unpopular party (not the same thing as alignment) will find their shopping expenses to be significantly higher than a 'heroic' party.

6) Ajantis is a decent Paladin you may or may not have come across already.

7) Just so you know, there is such a thing as a 'canon' party. But it only matters if you want to roleplay your way into BG 2.

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited July 2013
    @doctordog, I love your screen name. :)

Are you playing Enhanced Edition or Gog.com? If it's Gog.com, then I can recommend that you install a mod called "BG Tweaks". It has a component called "happy party pack" that prevents party members from leaving over reputation, and a lot of other conveniences that make the game more fun.

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=693

If it's Enhanced Edition, then you can still run a mixed alignment party, but you'll have to do it the hard way. Either get caught stealing or kill somebody, basically. There's a mod called Sword Coast Strategems that is compatible with Enhanced Edition, and it has a component called "bardic reputation adjustment". (I think it's SCS - some one please correct me if I'm wrong.) It also has a whole bunch of components that make the game harder, but you can install bardic reputation adjustment and leave out the rest.

It places a bard in the Friendly Arms Inn whom you can pay to adjust your reputation for you either up or down.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/scs/

There's a sticky somewhere around here with instructions on how to mod Enhanced Edition. I thought it was too complicated for me, but a lot of people are doing it. With the Gog.com version, all the mods come with a utility called "Weidu" built in that makes installation relatively easy.

As to the other part of your question, I can think of at least three good-aligned npc's you haven't met yet, assuming that you haven't been to the Cloakwood Mines. There's a cleric, a fighter/thief, and a regular thief.

EDIT: I thought of one more super-easy way you could adjust your reputation down. Just use EE Keeper and change it to whatever you want.
  • doctordogdoctordog Member Posts: 44
    Thank you for your quick replies everyone.

@Heindrich, yeah the temptation is pretty strong, but I've kept this part together since rescuing Dynaheir. I was on the lookout for some sort of healer/cleric, so Branwen seems like she'd fit the bill nicely.

As you suggest, the game does seem to be pushing me to play 'good' -- it's felt like the natural inclination in most cases, whereas in certain games I just feel compelled to be evil.

I suppose since the evil character thing would mostly just be an aesthetic choice, I'll stick to good/neutral for this playthrough. However, does having 'evil' characters in your party compel you to make certain choices or is it still possible to play nobly, pending your reputation doesn't get too high?

@ belgarathmth, thanks for the compliment :) I'm not sure what edition I'm playing to be honest. A friend simply gave me a copy on a disc. I'll take a look at that mod, but I am admittedly something of a purist in that I enjoy playing games the way they were originally released.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    doctordog said:

Thank you for your quick replies everyone.

@Heindrich, yeah the temptation is pretty strong, but I've kept this part together since rescuing Dynaheir. I was on the lookout for some sort of healer/cleric, so Branwen seems like she'd fit the bill nicely.

As you suggest, the game does seem to be pushing me to play 'good' -- it's felt like the natural inclination in most cases, whereas in certain games I just feel compelled to be evil.

I suppose since the evil character thing would mostly just be an aesthetic choice, I'll stick to good/neutral for this playthrough. However, does having 'evil' characters in your party compel you to make certain choices or is it still possible to play nobly, pending your reputation doesn't get too high?

Jaheira, Yeslick and Branwen are all perfectly capable of providing divine spell casting support. On the whole, healing is not particularly useful in BG, compared to actually preventing damage. This is because you can recover hp through resting, and healing magic is pretty weak compared to other games. For example in Avernum my healer essentially kept everyone else alive in the heat of battle, and if she died in the middle of a tough fight, the party was basically doomed. In BG healing spells take too long to cast, can easily be disrupted and only heals a small fraction of a character's hp, so 'battle healing' is not really a good option.

In BG 1, having evil party members does not compel you to take any evil options, short of managing your reputation carefully. In BG 2, I'm not sure.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited July 2013

In BG 2, I'm not sure.

Some NPCs can be opinionated and force your hand in some situations. It's much more common with good NPCs, though.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2013
    It's ONLY good Npcs....the evil NPCs don't give a crap what you do as long as your rep is under 18 (though they might complain about it). (which I feel the reputation is retarded as implemented anyway.....every single one of the evil characters you recruit except Tiax, who is a lunatic, would be perfectly ok with you taking good paths as long as it kept huge gobs of coin, gear, and/or prestige flowing in. Monty and Xzar probably wouldn't respect you very much, but as long as you got results, thats all that matters.

One thing sorely missing in this game is the ability to alter your alignment over-time, or having companions react appropriately to certain choices (most paladin or particularly good aligned people should desert or outright attack you for any choice you select that is highly opposed to their personality). There a tiny number of situations where it can happen...but there should be WAY more.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 877
    If your PC is some flavour of Neutral (or perhaps Chaotic Good) here are three ways to lower your reputation in order keep the Evil characters in your party from leaving, none of which seem too non-RP in nature (IMO).

1. When you accept Silke's quest, kill the three innocent guys (you were confused!) and then kill Silke.

2. Kill Shandalar after the polar island quest. The guy sent you to a frozen hell-hole with no warning! He deserves to die.

3. Walk into the inn in SW Baldur's Gate where the fanatical paladin Phandalyn sometimes hangs out (only during the day, iirc). He will attack any party with an evil character in it, no matter what your PC does or say.

Also, just having Viconia (or the surprise NPC) will lower your party's rep by 2.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Holy!...a paladin that actually does what they're supposed to? I'm shocked.