Skip to content

BG:EE on Gamersgate

24jel24jel Member Posts: 71
How is it that they sell the game while it has been taken of the shelves (so to speak)?

Edit: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-BGEE/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013
    Its up to Atari who gets to sell the game. As it currently stands you can buy the game from Atari, Steam, and I guess Gamersgate but not the App Store (Apple) and Beamdog.
  • 24jel24jel Member Posts: 71
    Ah ok - that clears stuff up.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Yep. I think the issue is between BeamDog and Atari more than it is between Overhaul and Atari. Overhaul stopped promulgating changes, presumably because it is the only leverage they have (and because, for some inexplicable reason, they want to be paid for the effort).

My feelings on the matter are mixed. While I understand the situation (broadly - I have no actual knowledge of the specifics), I feel like withholding the patch unnecessarily penalizes the consumer and I can't help thinking that it's a very significant breach of the consumer/provider relationship. It's basically changed what was ostenibly a professional project to more of a mod - it is what it is, and might not be 'better'. In this case, actually, it's worse than that; it's like an unfinished mod that the modders have improved, yet withheld the changes.
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127
    I think that regarding the new patch,it was still in the beta stage when this storm blew up.Beamdog suspended all work on the project wether a 'gentlemans agreement' or a contractual agreement,who knows.Why would they want to release a patch(if they could) that's not finished and in the worse case scenario could contain game some new serious game breaking bugs,which they then couldn't touch.Common sense really when you think about it.

As for Atari selling the game elsewhere.I think their Parental Company in Europe want some bucks on the table in whatever shape or form whilst the the shit is hitting the fan.I hope as we all do,everything goes in Beamdogs favour whatever the outcome.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I am under the impression that they are prohibited from releasing the patch. Meaning that the fact that they suspended work on it isn't just a matter of them not bothering to work on something that won't get them paid, it's a matter of them not bothering to work on something that they won't be able to release regardless.