Skip to content

Noob question

Many of you recommand me to go though the game with only 1 character to start with. Let's say I complete the game with this character, can I do it again during a multiplayer game? Or since I completed the game once, my toon is unnaccessible?

Thx again :)

Comments

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    you can but there is really no point because with max level character you will be like a demigod fighting rats at early and mid game
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Encase you misunderstood. We didn't recommend that you 'solo' the game. We wanted you to begin the game with one PC, and pick up NPC companions along the way.

And yes as Zur312 said, it's a bit pointless playing again with an overpowered character. That said, you can always make a save of his stats right at the start of the game and import it again for the start of a new run. For instance I intend to play 'The Black Pit' sometime, and will probably do it with the same Charname I've used for BG EE. But I will be importing his stats from the first save from the Prologue, rather than the endgame save file that I used to transfer him into BG 2.
    atcDaveDexter
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    There's an export character option on the character page. Just export your character, and you can redo, if you really want to. It's pretty boring though, so I don't recommend it.

Solo play only really works if you know where everything is and whats coming...

I personally feel everyone should play their first complete playthrough blind....because the game loses a far amount of it's replayability if you already know where everything is and what the secrets are etc...
    atcDaveHeindrich
  • PuebloPueblo Member Posts: 21
    I was planning to go through the game without a walkthrough, its trully the best way. I can tell by experience.

But since I am using a cap remover ( i know I know) I was thinking of leveling a kensai and than redo the game and dual class to mage. You know, being really geek :)
    Pueblo said:

I was planning to go through the game without a walkthrough, its trully the best way. I can tell by experience.

But since I am using a cap remover ( i know I know) I was thinking of leveling a kensai and than redo the game and dual class to mage. You know, being really geek :)

You CAN do that, but the game would be stupidly easy... so why not just continue the journey with BG 2 as I've done with my Charname, and experience the complete trilogy in its fullest. Your BG EE endgame save works perfectly fine with BG 2. You can level your Kensai in BG EE, and begin the transition to Mage near the start of BG 2. The beauty of having so many companions is that your Charname doesn't need to be optimal all the time. You gain loads of xp at the start of BG 2 (in proportion to how much xp you got to start with) that you can make up the Mage levels in no time to recover your Kensai skills.

Also, BG 1/EE was a great game, hugely enjoyable, but BG 2 blows it outta the water! I'm still fairly earlygame in BG 2, but I'm totally immersed in the world and the progression of my party. I'm also really glad I played BG EE first so things makes more sense.
    so, you're telling that I dont need to wait BG2 EE to play it? I can go from BGEE to regular BG2?
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Pueblo said:

so, you're telling that I dont need to wait BG2 EE to play it? I can go from BGEE to regular BG2?

Yes, it's actually pretty easy to move the "final save" folder from BGEE to a BG2 game. Then start a BG2 game by creating a new character, choose "import" from a save game file, and you should see your "final save" file come up along with your PC.
    The file structures are completely compatible and its easy to do.
    Heindrich
    Pueblo said:

Yeah that's exactly what I've done. Which is also why I recommended that you might wanna stick to the canon party for BG EE, so that your entire trilogy plot makes a bit more sense. But it only matters if you are a RP nut like me, the NPCs you choose will not have consequences for what happens in BG 2.
    canon party? What do you mean by that?
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    The canon party is your PC plus Imoen, Jaheira, Khaldin, Minsc and Dynaheir. BG2 starts with the assumption that was your party at the end of BG.

It's not a huge issue. Arguably, even if you only adventured with those characters briefly it flow pretty easily into BG2.
    Pueblo said:

canon party? What do you mean by that?

BG 2 follows on from BG 1/EE, and it kinda assumed that you travelled with a specific group of NPC companions. I don't think telling you who they are count as spoilers, but it's up to you if you wanna find out.

Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir and Imoen

You don't have to stick to them, because what happens in BG 2 happens regardless of who you travelled with in BG 1. Also although you can transfer your PC faithfully (with regards to spells, xp and proficiencies), you cannot transfer the stats and xp of the NPCs. So you don't have to worry about setting up a team for the entirety of BG 1 and BG 2.
    once again guys, thx a lot for your patience and quality answers!
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    The only catch is, you can't import any of the new kits (Blackguard, Dragon Disciple, Darkmoon/Sun Soul Monks, Dwarven Defender, Shadow Dancer). Anything else is fine.