Skip to content

Question on all the dispel protection spells

There are so many of these spells that it's difficult to know which to use for each situation. Here's a list by level

3rd: Dispel Magic. Remove Magic. Spell Thrust. Which is the best to use, when do they become redundant?
4th: Secret Word
5th: Breach. this is supposed to dispel all protection from a single target, so why would i need anything else?
6th: Pierce Magic. i can see the use in this as it all reduces MR, but it only dispels one protection
7th: kheblen's warding whip. drops one protection per round which i guess is good to combat sequences and contingencies. ruby ray of reversal: drops one protection spell. why would you choose this over KWW?
8th: pierce shield: drops one protection and heavily reduces MR, seems like an improved version of PM and makes it redundant
9th: Spell Strike. this should dispel all protections on a target creature, but then so does breach so why would i was a 9th slot on it?

any insights would be super!

Comments

• BJMJDBJMJD Member Posts: 192
    I found this link on this forum. I think you should have the answer to your question ;)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoLScCUe7V__dE1RaEhCbm5na0VlakQwYVMxOFJVc1E#gid=0
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    @wisp that's awesome, i'm going to print this off and have it to hand when playing BG2!
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    BJMJD said:

I found this link on this forum. I think you should have the answer to your question ;)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoLScCUe7V__dE1RaEhCbm5na0VlakQwYVMxOFJVc1E#gid=0

mmm spreadsheets! is anything sexier than spreadsheet? great find!
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    Breach kills Damage-Resistance spells and Attack-Immunity spells. These include:
    Protection from XXX Weapons, Mantle, Imp. Mantle etc.
    Protection from
    Some other Specific Protections are removed as well, but these are rarely noteworthy of the spell's function.

Secret Word kills one spell-specific protection spell, not including Spell Trap (L9 spell). Spells include:
    Spell Deflection
    Spell Turning
    Globe of Invulnerability***
    Pierce Magic (or w/e the Level 6 one is) and Warding Whip dispel the same list, but with different additional effects.

Ruby Ray is Secret Word, but can remove Spell Trap.
    Pierce Shield (The Level 8 one) is the same but with additional effects.

Spellstrike kills everything Ruby Ray and Secret Word do, and all at once.

The L3 spells are pretty much useless at dispelling defenses later in the game, so pick Dispel Magic for self-dispelling if you take any of the three.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited August 2013
    dispell magic has 1 thing going on
    if lich is protected by spell shield and spell trap and pfmw you have tp use 2x ruby ray + 1x breach to hit him with weapons (3 rounds or 3 mages)
    high level dispell like inquisitors 200%power will bypass everything and dispell pfmw (1round)
    so inquisitor is pretty OP

also from forum knowledge those statements are only true with scsii because liches in vanilla are immune to 1-5 level spell and that means breach doesn't work all the time

can someone say if that is true in vanilla? Wisp?

Does anyone know the levels of liches in bg2 soa? that would help in dispell level math

wow this file above is great
    Post edited by zur312 on
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    zur312 said:

also from forum knowledge those statements are only true with scsii because liches in vanilla are immune to 1-5 level spell and that means breach doesn't work all the time

can someone say if that is true in vanilla? Wisp?

Does anyone know the levels of liches in bg2 soa? that would help in dispell level math

Hmmm... I've been playing BG 2 SoA Vanilla with just Corefix pack. I recently defeated my first Lich in the Underdark, without even realising that it was one. I think I just threw multiple Breach and Remove Magic at it until the Flail of Ages and Celestial Fury could get the job done.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    @zur312: It depends on the particular lich in question. Generic liches are usually lvl25, but liches go all the way up to lvl40 in ToB, with several 30+ in between. That is with mods, of course.

Liches are indeed completely immune to spells of level 5 and lower, both in vanilla and in SCSII. SCSII merely added a change that allowed Breach to affect them as a special rule, so they are easier to dispel. Keep in mind that this means regular Dispel/Remove Magic never work against liches; an Inquisitor's Dispel Magic is special, because it's a "lvl 0" spell that doesn't fall into the 1-5 immunity. This is also true for both vanilla and SCSII.

Note that there are other creatures with spell immunities as well. Demi-liches I think are immune to anything of lvl8 and lower, and Rakshasa lvl6(?) and lower. Certain bosses may have immunities as well (I think I remember Demogorgon having that) but I can't say which, and to what extent exactly. These immunities are, of course, inherent abilities that cannot themself be dispelled, the way Spell Immunity could be.

Managing dispels is a crucial part of many of the difficult mods, such as SCSII. Mages are the toughest opponents, and will put up layers of stacking protections to make your life hard. Knowing which spell to use when is very important, and @Wisp's list is quite comprehensive in that regard.
    so how do you kill liches in vanilla without inquisitor? waiting until pfmw expires sux
    Vanilla Liches put up far less defensive magics than the modded ones. Their offense is pretty laughable as well. You can literally just stand there and beat on them until enough hits connect.
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    What level do Arrows of Dispelling stop working ?
    I found they were great for not only attacking enemy mages but also my own team.
    Minsc just got Held or Dire Charmed ? Shoot him in the butt with an arrow of Dispelling.
    He'll get over it and I'll buy him some mead after the battle.
    from what i asked on forums arrows works 100% of the time so they are pretty good
    Makes them kinda OPed you think ?
    Especially in BG2 where you can buy / steal a zillion of them.
    Thanks for feedback.
    I haven't really been paying attention, but aren't Arrows of Dispelling quite limited in BG2? I can't recall having more than a handful of them... But I might be wrong, I so rarely have archers.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    @Lord_Tansheron Are you sure Liches are immune to Dispel Magic by default? Somehow I remember it working, but normaly Liches are so much above your level that actually succeeding in Dispel Magic is nearly impossible.
    I'm pretty sure, yes. While you do get the animation, and may even get the "Dispel effects" message, you should also get "Spell ineffective". The feedback can be a bit confusing at times...

I haven't really been paying attention, but aren't Arrows of Dispelling quite limited in BG2? I can't recall having more than a handful of them... But I might be wrong, I so rarely have archers.

There are 40 at the Adventurers Mart alone ( Weapon Smith shop I believe )
    That's a good start. I know I found or bought more.
    Even if a zillion is over the top...they are still plentiful.
    You don't need an archer...just a bow. It's not like your trying to do damage.
    They can easily turn a group wipe into victory.

An interesting possibility to be sure. Do they dispel if they fail to hit, though? Or fail to connect (due to PfMW for example)?
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Arrows of Dispelling is considered +1 weapon. I know it cant hit a lich/mage protected by PfMW. There are 80 arrows of dispelling at Wakueen's Promenade (merchant above the Adventure's Mart). Also, there are 5 at the wall container at Spellhold.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBSWtFGwFrA
    it is not quite it+ language but i think everyone can see

arrow dispells elemental protections + potion makes guy invisible while waiting for time stop to end+ mace of disruption before new pfmw
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Wisp said:

Ruby Ray of Reversal removes a single spell protection, regardless of level. This means it's the lowest-level spell that can deal with Spell Trap. It's also an Alteration spell, whereas all other magic attacks are Abjuration spells. Depending on mods, this may or may not be significant (it's mostly not significant)..

Extremely significant under SCS. Arguably almost too significant, it tends to make Ruby Ray the most important protection-piercing spell in the entire game.

spell immunity with scsii doesn't protect vs breaches i tried
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Shin said:

Extremely significant under SCS. Arguably almost too significant, it tends to make Ruby Ray the most important protection-piercing spell in the entire game.

Yeah, unless there has been some major policy reversals the past few versions, SI: Abjuration has no effect against anti-magic in SCS (with the exception of Dispel). There is nothing you have to use RRR against.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Wisp said:

Shin said:

Yeah, unless there has been some major policy reversals the past few versions, SI: Abjuration has no effect against anti-magic in SCS (with the exception of Dispel). There is nothing you have to use RRR against.
    Really? I'll test it, but really never noticed. Why then do SCS mages still use SI:A to such a degree? And what's the effect that keeps it from nullifying the anti-magic as well?

It's important to distinguish here, between Dispel/Remove Magic and spells that remove spell-protections. SI:A *will* stop Dispel Magic, but it *will not* stop the removal of spell-protections (Spell Thrust, Spellstrike, etc.). The only spell in the game that does that is Spell Shield, and it is consumed in the process.

SI:A in SCS is used primarily to stop Dispel Magic; I was under the impression that it stopped Breach as well, but it seems @zur312's testing suggests otherwise.
    edited August 2013
    Shin said:

And what's the effect that keeps it from nullifying the anti-magic as well?

Anti-magic spells have the secondary type Magic Attack (4). Spells with that secondary type bypass spell protections (otherwise they couldn't dispel spell protections).

I was under the impression that it stopped Breach as well, but it seems @zur312's testing suggests otherwise.

Breach not penetrating spell protections is an optional part of SCS, but it looks like the code for reclassifying it as something other than a Magic Attack is missing from the relevant component (in SCS 24; SCSII should work).
    Well, that's good to know. I've not been firing Breaches into SI:A anyway, guess I'll continue doing that and pretend the component works.
    edited August 2013
    i was soloing sorc vs firkraag with SI:A and he breached me SI:A doesn't stop breaches
    zur312 said:

i was soloing sorc vs firkraag with SI:A and he breached me SI:A doesn't stop breaches

It doesn't in vanilla, but it does if you install component 2010 ("More consistent Breach") of SCSII.

edited August 2013
    all those vanilla mod no mod different mod rules become really confusing