Skip to content

Murder in Baldur's Gate!

13»

Comments

• ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    Much appreciated, thanks - I especially like the pat where R.A. Salvatore mentions coming out of the meeting with ED Greenwood and planning ahead by years on how they were going to fix it all. Gotta tip your hat to them for that.

Now if WOTC had any brains they would pay for them to write some DLC for BG, one that actually involves the player and has some continuity. Given their direction I don't know if they would take that as a fan dreaming or trolling.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I have to say, I've been really impressed about how wizards have accepted and taken on board the criticism about what happened in 4th ed.
  • gholamgholam Member Posts: 12
    FelipeH92 said:

is there a special spoiler tag in this forum?

\\*/\*SPOILER*/\*//

Basically the adventure begins with Viekang trying to murder Abdel in public, and even if Abdel wins(with or without the help of the players) Viekang dies and Abdel immediatly becomes the Bhaalspawn Slayer, a monster in frenezy, and the players kill him(or Viekang if Abdel loses) .After the death of the Bhaalspawn Slayer, Bhaal ressurects. Simple as that. I mean, tecnically the players don't even talk with Abdel :(
    The adventure itself is about whom of three citizens of BG will become the chosen of Bhaal(or one of the players).

\\*/\*SPOILER END*/\*//

The teleporting guy?! This is just absurd!
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Absurd, yes, but what can they do? He's the only possible Bhaalspawn left, unless you decide to bend and distort the story even further.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    ajwz said:

I have to say, I've been really impressed about how wizards have accepted and taken on board the criticism about what happened in 4th ed.

So far they have severed all ties of interest I have in their setting. I know there are people out there who just keep re-rolling characters per pnp/CRPG session, but the BG character is my FR alter-ego, so I see it as "You are permitted to have -this- much involvement in our setting and your character's canon ending will be this".
    I don't get upset about it, and don't expect anything from a potential BG3 to match my concept of the product, as they're making it very clear that BG3 will not involve me or my character. Same thing with Dragon Age - my character ending was in Origins.

I just find these decisions strange with anything carrying a roleplaying label.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

Absurd, yes, but what can they do? He's the only possible Bhaalspawn left, unless you decide to bend and distort the story even further.

The novel itself is the distort and bend in the bhaalspawn saga, the fact someone without good taste in WotC give an approval for this novel to be official doesn't meant it's good or nice, neither that the game franchise must suffer the incompetence of a writer. With all due respect to Philip Athans and Drew Karpyshyn, the novels sucks. Not that it was good from the begin, but apparently Drew Karpyshyn know how to end bad a serie (killing abdel with viekang) as he was on the team that made mass effect, the better game ever launched on the mix of RPG/FPS style with the wrost end possible.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    edited October 2013
    I don't understand what you guys don't like about this ending for Charname. IF you want BG 3 this is the only way (I think). You can't become a God because off lore (PnP books). A LG paladin god of Murder, yeah right :S.

So you choose to stay mortal and give up your heritage. You think its all over, your power is fading, but though you live extremely long. (BG3 lets you inport your tob charname, you can walk around for 2 minutes). Viekang also knows this and finds you. He walks up to you you have a dialog and you get a scene like the Sarevok-Gorion fight (player loses control) the fight is scripted but uses the skills of you old-charnames class, when both the Bhaalspawn are near dead, a roll of the dice chooses a winner. It turns into the slayer but it is still near dead.

Before this al you created a character/party and played the prologue. (@FelipeH92 is there a specific place known for the fight? I found out, the centre of the city) After the prologue you withness the fight and have to kill the slayer (about as hard as Tarnesh/Illasera, so you will die a lot the first time :D )

The rest of the game follows MiBG

You can actualy read/play the first encouter with free material from WotC and its very well written.
    Post edited by artificial_sunlight on
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400

I don't understand what you guys don't like about this ending for Charname. IF you want BG 3 this is the only way (I think). You can't become a God because off lore (PnP books). A LG paladin god of Murder, yeah right :S.

Actually, in ToB your alignment is changed to Neutral Evil, no matter your class, which makes things interesting.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    ajwz said:

R.A. Salvatore and Ed Greenwood were very unhappy with the 4E changes immediately and apparently devised a plan to fix the setting from the beginning of the 4th edition.
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87

Actually, in ToB your alignment is changed to Neutral Evil, no matter your class, which makes things interesting.

It doesn't change unless you 'fail' one or more challenges in hell at the end of SoA.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    KolonKu said:

It doesn't change unless you 'fail' one or more challenges in hell at the end of SoA.
    Ah, of course, I knew that. I just forgot when posting, promise.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    gholam said:

FelipeH92 said:

is there a special spoiler tag in this forum?

\\*/\*SPOILER*/\*//

Basically the adventure begins with Viekang trying to murder Abdel in public, and even if Abdel wins(with or without the help of the players) Viekang dies and Abdel immediatly becomes the Bhaalspawn Slayer, a monster in frenezy, and the players kill him(or Viekang if Abdel loses) .After the death of the Bhaalspawn Slayer, Bhaal ressurects. Simple as that. I mean, tecnically the players don't even talk with Abdel :(
    The adventure itself is about whom of three citizens of BG will become the chosen of Bhaal(or one of the players).

\\*/\*SPOILER END*/\*//

The teleporting guy?! This is just absurd!
    If he hadn't been an uncaring asshole and actually kept his companions from dying (specifically Imoen in this case), this would never have happened. Serves Abdel right.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    At least Coran is around to shoot an arrow in tour face He survived because he didnt traveled with AA