Skip to content

Please reconsider the save game location

KahenrazKahenraz Member Posts: 70
edited August 2013 in Feature Requests
Although perhaps a design decision, Baldur's Gate: EE's behavior of placing saved games in the user's Documents folder is in error and violates application guidelines put forth by Microsoft years ago. The Documents folder is NOT an appropriate location to place this kind of application data; there is a folder for this purpose appropriately named "Saved Games" in the user's profile directory.

Please review the "Windows File System Namespace Usage Guidelines" for additional information on locating appropriate namespaces:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=88ad7e7c-4068-48b8-9503-e160a6693bba&DisplayLang=en

When possible, applications should use an existing folder that Windows Vista has already defined in the
User Profile namespace that matches the file types that the application supports. For example:

For document files, like .docx, .pps, .xls, and .txt files, you should use the Documents folder.

Stop the madness: Subdirectories of My Documents
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2006/12/28/1374334.aspx
Microsoft said:

Everything in the My Documents folder the user should be able to point to and say, "I remember creating that file on such-and-such date when I did a 'Save' from Program Q." If it doesn't pass that test, then don't put it into My Documents. Use Application Data.

Comments

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Yeah....ever since about 2009 or so, pretty much every game saves to my documents, along with config files and certain other things.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    I think it's way better having my saves in the documents folder, it's more accessible for when I feel I need to back them up, or otherwise copy them to a different device.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I prefer them (saves, characters, core game files) being all in one place personally. Like how BG1/BG2 operated.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It's worth noting that the microsoft resource quoted is from the Vista days. A lot has changed since then.

(It's also worth noting that the msdn source quoted is a blog, not an official resource.)
  • AluminumHasteAluminumHaste Member Posts: 2
    What would be really great is if you moved the save folder to the game directory, that way I could play off my USB key and not have to remember to back up my save games every time I go to/from work/home.