Skip to content

See what killed you?

TheIronRoseTheIronRose Member Posts: 20
Normally, in both BG I and BG II, whenever CHARNAME dies, that's it. The game pauses, you get the "load" button, all that's fine and good. The only problem with that is that you cannot actually see what killed you. In a game that's decently strategy minded, perhaps there could be some way to at least see what caused you to die?

I mean, it'd be something like:
"Bandit Archer did 8 damage to CHARNAME."
"CHARNAME: Death"

And then actually have that visible, so before you click "Load", you can see where you screwed up, and what you need to do to fix it.

Unfortunately, in order to do this, it might play hell with the the display and the like, seeing as the only thing I'd see stopping everything is that gray "Load" screen that appears over the text box, and of course it's potentially unfeasible, but it seems to me like it would be an exceedingly useful tool.

Comments

• DelvonDelvon Member Posts: 77
    Fallout style kill cam. That is all.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Agree that this would be a nice feature - especially later on in the game with a lot of abilities/damage going around. Even more so if you play using difficulty-increasing mods that give enemies more abilities. Of course, with the UI reworked, this may already be possible.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    A nice feature would be to have the game pause on the final moment of death and only showing the dying hand animation after you've clicked continue, so you can still view the combat log and see what went wrong in those final rounds of combat.
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    Would be good, I can agree with this.
  • GrumpwagonGrumpwagon Member Posts: 25
    @Son_of_Imoen

Do want.
  • diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132
    Why is CHARNAME the only character that can permanently die in combat anyway? If my cleric has a Resurrection spell or scroll handy, (s)he should be able to use it on CHARNAME. I mean, especially considering that CHARNAME has some sort of divine essence inside him/her...

Makes a bit of sense while CHARNAME has no soul, but otherwise, it just doesn't seem to balance. Even elves, who cannot be resurrected according to official AD&D2E rules, can be brought back.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    edited July 2012
    diggerb said:

Why is CHARNAME the only character that can permanently die in combat anyway? If my cleric has a Resurrection spell or scroll handy, (s)he should be able to use it on CHARNAME. I mean, especially considering that CHARNAME has some sort of divine essence inside him/her...

Makes a bit of sense while CHARNAME has no soul, but otherwise, it just doesn't seem to balance. Even elves, who cannot be resurrected according to official AD&D2E rules, can be brought back.

@diggerb Probably because the Bhaal essence leaves the PC when he/she dies. Even if PC could be resurrected, he/she would just be an ordinary Joe/Jane without a destiny. Another take on it would be that the essence leaves the body and pulverizes it beyond any form of possible resurrection magicks (as the death animation seems to suggest).
  • diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132
    edited July 2012
    Winthal said:

@diggerb Probably because the Bhaal essence leaves the PC when he/she dies. Even if PC could be resurrected, he/she would just be an ordinary Joe/Jane without a destiny. Another take on it would be that the essence leaves the body and pulverizes it beyond any form of possible resurrection magicks (as the death animation seems to suggest).

@winthal I considered that, but this is countered by the fact that Imoen can be resurrected, as well as Sarevok.
  • TheIronRoseTheIronRose Member Posts: 20
    Imeon can, and that's what we call a plot hole, but Mr. ToB is justified.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    @diggerb Maybe CHARNAME was simply born with a serious gaseous intestine problem that causes him/her to spontaneously combust upon death? Did ya think about that? Huh!? :P