Skip to content

Improve custom portraits management

O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
There was a feature request like this, but the topic is probably long=time forgotten.

So, after my last character creation, I have thought that custom portraits management could use some improvement. It might working fine, when you have only few portraits, but when you have over hundred of those, not too well.

1. First of all, if you have those hundreds of portraits, you either have to be completely sure of which one do you like for your current charname, or spend time clickling on evet portrait's name to view the preview.

2. Size of our portraits browsing window. When you are choosing a large portrait, it is ok. But browsing hundreds of small portraits is a one of the evilest thing I can imagine. Seriously, right now patience is required to just nail the one you want, considering that you have to scroll down from tens of portraits for a unnecesary long time.

I have thought of two ways of improving custom portraits management. It can be done either in easy way, or harder way.

Easy way:

1. When searching for large portrait, only bmp files of an exact large portraits size should be seen. Same for small portraits. So, if you have one hundred of the portraits, the game will only show you those you need to find right now.

2. Size of small portraits browser ought to be increased in size.

Harder way:

1. After clicking at "custom portraits" you are asked to choose "Large portrait" or "Small portrait".
2. After choosing one of those, you are introduced to a new browsing window. This window is big, scrolling up and down is comfortable, and you don't have to click on the portrait you want to see a preview. In other words, you are actually browsing portraits rather than their file names. Think of something like NWN portrait browsing.
3. I might update this post on the future with drawing where I present how I imagine this system.

Thank you for listening and sorry for my English.

Comments

• DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    Actually I've always wondered why does one even need to select the smaller portraits since they're named so that there should be no need to. I totally agree that something should be done to make it easier to select proper portraits for your character. I myself have close to thousand portraits in my game and choosing between them can sometimes be quite a tedious. Same could be said about soundsets too...
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    I definitely support a change to the portrait selection screen. I like to keep all the portraits I've ever made/cropped/edited in the same place and while I have no problem scrolling for the big ones it's pretty painful when it's time to select the small image especially if it starts with a letter from the middle of the alphabet.
    If we could at least get the option to press a letter and have the cursor jump to the first name starting with that letter, that would be great.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    YesYesYes. The selection thing is a pain, especially the scrolling. It should auto-point to same name of the S/M file (if it exists) and the scrolling should work better. A total re-vamp of that page (select custom portraits) would be much appreciated.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    A simple alternative I can think of is to have some form of folder navigation. That way you can setup a system if you use custom portraits often, or nothing if you don't. Solves all of the issues you present here too.