Skip to content

Murder in Baldurs Gate

StreamhopperStreamhopper Member Posts: 19
It seems that Abdel Adrian still lives as Duke of the city and turns out to be a very friendly guy.

Coran still lives and Minsc has a statue in the city.

Have we given up on Abdel to soon or would you consider it a huge retcon?

Comments

• LordIrenicusLordIrenicus Member Posts: 4
    I think that in general we have definitely given up on the Abdel.
    Also apparently his conflict doesn't go so smoothly? I won't elaborate because of spoilers, but I think he lost 20 levels and Bhaal powers or something along those lines.
  • StreamhopperStreamhopper Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2013
    *spoiler alert*

It seems that there was one surviving Bhaalspawn besides him, Viekang (the teleporter). Because of the Bhaal essence Abdel lived much longer then a normal human. After he fights with Viekang, the survivor contains all the essence of Bhaal, becomes the slayer and is then killed causing Bhaal to return.

This confirms that Abdel did not choose to be a deity. He returned to Candlekeep and then became a duke in Baldurs Gate. Even being the most loved duke in Baldurs Gate and head of the Flaming Fist.
  • LordIrenicusLordIrenicus Member Posts: 4
    But Abdel was only ever able to get the chance to become a deity by virtue of him being the last Bhaalspawn. if Viekang was still alive then how did that work? Also, I'm assuming that upon Viekang becoming the slayer he destroys part of (most of) the city. Because its the slayer.
  • StreamhopperStreamhopper Member Posts: 19
    Viekang was the one that you could help teleport when he was afraid. It seems that after dodging many assasination attempts he becomes a badass. Keep in mind, that he to lived longer then anyone else due to the essence.

The slayer seems to have been seriously downgraded as he can be killed by 5 lvl 1 adventureres. Although he goes to town first on a few citizens.

The explanation given is that it's a bit like highlander.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Hmm, I suppose Abdel's finally proven himself useful; making it cannon that our personal CHARNAMEs (as well as Imoen and Sarevok, potentially) could survive to the modern era. This almost makes up for his otherwise retched existence.

Almost.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited October 2013
    I deny the existence of Abdel Adrian; CHARNAME is the last Bhaalspawn after Imoen had given up her share of divine essence.
  • NepentheNepenthe Member Posts: 15
    Sorry for the slight necro here, but Wizards has a bunch of downloadable material, including an introductory adventure featuring Abdel, which spurred me into purchasing this. Going from the supplementary material, Bhaal(spawn) have an important part in the arc.

Makes for an interesting supplement to the TOB endings as well, CHARNAME becoming the marshall of the Flaming Fist and a Duke of Baldur's Gate... Not bad, even if making him/her a level 4 punk stings a bit.
  • AnprionsaAnprionsa Member Posts: 106
    It is an abomination that he has been allowed to continue in anyway shape or form. It's a massive middle finger to the game (which isn't canon) and to the fans (who HATE him with a passion). It's also a poor attempt to continue the Bhaalspawn saga by effectively erasing what Solar said and having yet another bhaalspawn. Baldur's Gate (the game) is the best thing to happen to the Forgotten Realms and by continuing Abdel they have destroyed the best part about that game.

Also I'm sick and tired of games/books/movies where the protagonist doesn't choose godhood (Hercules, Potter, etc...) because of some stupid reason. I would choose Godhood and then take Aerie with me.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @koawinter In a way, I agree. Why aren't you able to make your lover/wife/husband your chief servant in the outer plane you come to inhabit as a God/Goddess? If they are a cleric, why can't they become your chief servant on Faerun? I mean, maybe some of your lovers/whatever decide they can't go with you, but ALL of them? That doesn't seem right. Why can't you gift them with some of your divine essence or make them your immortal (or even extremely long-lived) consort? I mean, yeesh! You're a GOD now, and you can't do this? That makes NO sense. I get that it was probably meant to make you choose leaving all your earthly cares/loves/life behind, but why couldn't you do that? There's no real reason- I mean, even elves like Aerie are going to live at least another 500 years- they can't decide to live with you in whatever plane you end up on? You could argue that humans are not meant to live that long and it might drive them crazy or whatever, but Elminster is human- he could do it. Admittedly, he's one of a very few, but it should be possible to find people like that for you as a God as well. If Mystra could do it for her chosen, CHARNAME should be able to do it for him/herself.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I don't think it's a big deal at all. Abdel has nothing in common with the protagonist of the nonexisting books beyond the name, which is his canon name anyway.

I also don't get your gripe with Viekang showing up. That was always a... I wouldn't call it a plothole exactly, but certainly a thread left untied. All in all, the module seems to contain a whole lot more nods to the game series than to the books.

By the way, is there a description of the statue in the module? Is it bald?
  • SageSage Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2014
    A little bird whispered this into my ear:

"The Beloved Ranger
    Standing in the Wide is a 15-foot-tall statue of a powerful
    warrior in plate armor. Far from being the typical
    sort of grim guardian, this warrior grins enthusiastically
    and cradles a hamster in his hands. The statue was
    erected about 70 years ago by an eccentric textiles merchant
    named Orburt Lewel (now deceased). According
    to legend, the man is Minsc, a dull-witted but brave
    ranger of Rashemen who saved Lewel’s life from some
    forgotten danger, and the hamster is Boo, a pet that
    Minsc believed to be a “pygmy giant space hamster.”
    The quirky statue is a favorite landmark and meeting
    spot in the ever-changing sea of market stalls, both
    because it’s easy to spot and because Baldur’s Gate loves
    its peculiar characters. It can be climbed with a DC 10
    Strength check, much to the disapproval of onlookers.
    Being atop the statue wouldn’t give a character a better
    chance of hitting a target in the crowd, but the statue
    does provide a vantage point to see things happening at
    a distance."

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/45370000
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/MIBGlaunch
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Too bad it doesn't mention whether he's bald or mane-haired, though. However, I immediately headcanoned that that merchant was the one getting chased by a bear over the bridges west of Nashkel, and Minsc saved him on his way to save Dynaheir.