Skip to content

Language choice does not affect directory selection in lang for sounds

IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
edited September 2013 in Not An Issue
As of now (version 1.0.2014), there is still no official sound package in languages other than English. For French, one player provided a method to reuse original Baldur's Gate sounds for NPCs and main character. For the main character this implies copying the files in the lang\en_US\sounds directory, as it does not work from lang\fr_FR\sounds.
When the 1.0.2014 brought the ability to use custom soundsets provided the files are named CUSTOMxy, it seems localisation was forgotten as, according to my own experience, the custom sounds are not found by the game in what looks like the proper place for them, lang\fr_FR\sounds.

Here's what I get with main characters sounds when I use files from original Baldur's Gate :
in directory Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\sounds: voices in English
in directory Data\00766\sounds: voices in French
in directory Data\00766\lang\en_US\sounds: voices in French
in directory Data\00766\lang\fr_FR\sounds: voices in English

With custom sound sets CUSTOM0y and CUSTOM1y:
in directory Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\sounds: not available
in directory Data\00766\sounds: not available
in directory Data\00766\lang\fr_FR\sounds: not available
in directory Data\00766\lang\en_US\sounds: selectable

I tried with French INTRO*.WAV files recovered from original Baldur's Gate:
in directory Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\sounds: voices in English
in directory Data\00766\sounds: voices in French
in directory Data\00766\override: voices in French
in directory Data\00766\lang\en_US\sounds: voices in French (also selectable as main character soundset!)
in directory Data\00766\lang\fr_FR\sounds: voices in English

Finally I decided to try and build bif files for NPC sounds from Baldur's Gate French sounds and BGEE files for all that was missing. Despite the hard time I had to build them with WeiDU with the right order to match the order in the English LocXXX.bif files, I managed to build them and have the game work properly with them.
Here's how the game behaves with my newly build bif files:
in directory Data\00766\lang\fr_FR\data: voices in English
in directory Data\00766\lang\en_US\data: voices in French
in directory Data\00766\data: voices in English

To sum up, basically, if I want to have sounds or bif files that work, I have to put them in the lang\en_US directory and sometimes in some override directories.

Overall, this is a huge disappointement since it shows that the game executable is not ready to use voices in several languages and is not even friendly to foreign languages for the main character soundsets.

I hope a fix will be available in the highly praised upcoming patch. I strongly urge Overhaul Studios to show more consideration towards their non-english customers. So far some of us have the texts in our own language but it's a disappointement we can't even have original Baldur's Gate soundsets yet.
Post edited by Aedan on