Skip to content

BG for the very first time.

Hello, I recently purchased the EE, and I am looking to roll a fighter, currently his attributes are;

STR: 18/98
DEX: 16
CON: 16
INT: 12
WIS: 12
CHA: 17

is this okay or should I hold out for a better roll or allocate points differently?

also, any recommendations for a dual-class?

Thanks.

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    That's a pretty amazing roll.

If you were a powergamer (i.e. wanted to optimise everything), u'd put Dex and Cons to 18 too, and sacrifice Wisdom, but that's more than enough to beat the game.

I finished BG 1 with a Fighter/Mage that started with.

STR: 15
    DEX: 17
    CON: 15
    INT: 18
    WIS: 10
    CHA: 14

As it stands, your character doesn't have much Dual-Class options cos he will need a minimum of 17 in the primary attribute of whatever class he wishes to learn.

i.e. Wisdom for Cleric, Intelligence for Mage, Dexterity for Thief.

For my second BG EE run, I will probably use Kensai --> Mage or Fighter --> Mage. Fighter --> Cleric is also very good, as I discovered from a BG 2 NPC companion.
  • revan299srevan299s Member Posts: 64
    Hmm, really don't want to drop any CHA so I may have to reroll for awhile if I decide to Dual-Class.

Thanks for the info!
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    Honestly, I would drop a couple points from INT or WIS, and add them to DEX or CON for a fighter, but as @Heindrich1988 said, you have more than enough to beat the game right there already.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I am of the opinion that Dual-classing is only worth it if you intend to take the same Charname through the entire epic. i.e. BG EE to BG 2 EE. Especially if this is your first attempt. If you REALLY want somebody with 2 classes, just start with a Multi-class character like I did, it saves a lot of hassle.

Unless you powergame and dump-stat something, it'd be difficult to have near max for 4 attributes, which is ideally what you'd want for a dual/multi-class character. A roll of 90 is pretty damn good, and 92+ is amazing. I have never seen 94 or better in all my rolling.

Honestly, I would drop a couple points from INT or WIS, and add them to DEX or CON for a fighter, but as @Heindrich1988 said, you have more than enough to beat the game right there already.

Yeah, I was just really interested in trying to Dual-Class as a Cleric or Mage. I Guess I'll just stick with fighter. I'll drop INT and WIS to 10 and get DEX and CON to 18.

• theoricustheoricus Member Posts: 115
    @revan299s, as for first gameplay I would recommend to role-play this game ;) You have all the time in the world to become a powergamer and even more to become a metagamer (which is worst). So don't bother with rolls, try to set the attributes that will truly express your character. I'm going to do this myself in the next run.
    @theoricus, Yeah that is what I ended up doing. So, I traded Khalid for Ajantis and Xzar (while keeping Monty :P)for Neera. Was this a good idea? Just hoping I didn't back myself into a corner this early.
  • 24jel24jel Member Posts: 71
    Don't worry about backing into any corner. I did that all the time during my first playthrough but I found that, once you learn the game, there are not that many ways to screw it up. Just keep regular (and different) saves and enjoy the ride.
  • nihility00nihility00 Member Posts: 5
    Personally I would have maxed out con and dex by sacrificing wis and int. You've missed a decent con and dex bonus there. This game is timeless though and the best and most fun way to learn would be just to play it.