Skip to content

Any way to change forum skins? To something less eye-burning?

Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
I really can't take the light-text-on-dark-background thing. It hurts my eyes. Is there any way to change forum skin to something more traditionally legible?

Comments

• dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Yes please.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    What we really need is the option to change the skin ourselves. A lot of forum sites have that.
    That way, everyone wins.
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    Actually, scientifically speaking, light text on dark background is easier on the eyes than the other way around. And i think the current skin is very atmospheric.
    Still, if you want the option, you should have it, if it can be done. It won't be MY eyes hurting.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    Actually, scientifically speaking, it's the exact other way around. Dark text on a light background is less straining.
    This usually only becomes an issue once you get older, but considering this site is full of D&D enthusiasts, we probably have a few more "oldies" than the average gaming forum.

I can highly recommend the software "F.lux", which changes the saturation and light levels of your screen, depending on the day of the time. It's important to keep good care of your eyes.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Michail said:

Actually, scientifically speaking, light text on dark background is easier on the eyes than the other way around. And i think the current skin is very atmospheric.
    Still, if you want the option, you should have it, if it can be done. It won't be MY eyes hurting.

Well the fact remains that I can't spend more than 30 minutes on this forum without getting a headache.
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196

dib said:

Well the fact remains that I can't spend more than 30 minutes on this forum without getting a headache.

It may have to do with the lighting in the computer area. If the lighting is bright and colors light (like white walls), the contrast between them and a dark screen may actually tire your eyes. Also, people with astigmatism may read back letters on a white background more easily than the other way around, so it's pretty much subjective.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I REALLY like the way this looks. I find white backgrounds far too bright and sometimes ugly if the page is too busy. White is only ok if it's to make it look minimalist, like apple's website. The black background also fits a Baldurs gate site better.
    Though I do agree that if someone doesn't like it or it hurts their eyes there should be a way to change it.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited October 2013
    Looking at it now, in a somewhat dimly lit room, I think the bright white text is the problem (as seen with the thread names here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussions). I find the light grey-text-on-dark-background that you see when you're actually in a thread to be much easier on the eyes.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • SgthawkerSgthawker Member Posts: 31
    Back in the days of DOS I found reading yellow text on a brown background to be easily read.