Skip to content

Charism did nothing in BG, did not effect spell amounts or affects, wis didn't help monk...

chainekchainek Member Posts: 3
You could create a sorcerer with a 6 char and still have your full assortment of spells. The bard also had no benefit for taking cha even though that was his main stat. From my understand, these classes were last minute addons in the original.

This is one of many 'bugs' that irritated me in the original. I think the wis modifier did nothing for the monk as well. Are things like this being addressed?

Sorry if the answer is posted somewhere. I have read through quite a bit and haven't come across anything about this.
Post edited by Bhryaen on

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Hi @chainek.

Sorcerers' spell selection is currently based on no stat, and changing this qualifies as a feature request (in fact, I'm quite sure it has been requested already, I just don't have a link handy). Same applies to WIS adding bonuses to Monks, although I don't think it has been requested.
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    So higher carisma will make my bard able to cast more spells now,right`?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @FillaFillason - nope, none of this has been confirmed as implemented - just requested. Bards' spellcasting is based on INT in PnP AD&D, which is what Baldur's Gate is based on (this was changed to CHA in 3rd Ed. D&D), so I'd like it to remain so. The Sorcerer class, however, was borrowed from 3rd Ed. D&D where its spellcasting abilities are based on CHA, and so they should be in Baldur's Gate imo.
    FillaFillason
  • FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    Ah, right. Thats why I made my bard whit high inteligence, I had forgot. Long time since playing ad&d, not a big comunity where I live unfortunaly :-(
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    If its possible, I'd like for CHA to affect a Sorcerer's spellcasting in some way.

Mainly that if they do not have a high Charisma stat that they woul get penalties to their spellcasting.
    FillaFillason
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    This does look like a good thing to get implemented and not too difficult... but it is a feature request, so shifting it over there...
  • chainekchainek Member Posts: 3
    Thanks. I'd very much like to see this changed.