Skip to content

Marvel's characters alignment

Let's make a list of the various Marvel's heroes and villains with what we think they are their alignments.

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited September 2013
    Ok... not a comic fan, but I have seen most of the recent movies.

I'll just do the Avengers

Thor: Neutral Good
    Iron Man: Chaotic Good
    Captain America: Lawful Good
    Black Widow: Neutral Good
    Hawk Eye: Neutral Good
    Hulk: Chaotic Neutral
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Dr.Doom:Lawful Evil.

Magneto:Lawful Evil.

Red Skull:Chaotic Evil.

Loki:Neutral Evil.

Galactus:True Neutral.

Norman Osborn: Lawful Evil(Iron Patriot), Neutral Evil(as himself), Chaotic Evil(as Goblin).

Venom: True Neutral(Eddie Brock), Chaotic Evil(Mac Gargan).

Carnage: Chaotic Evil.

Bullseye: Chaotic Evil.

Thanos:Neutral Evil.

Daken:Chaotic Evil.

Ultron:Lawful Evil.

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Wolverine: Chaotic Good
    Spider Man : Neutral Good
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2013
    About Thor, I've always kind of seen him as chaotic good, because of his fiery temper and hot-headedness, and because of being influenced by knowing the Norse myths on which the character is based, in which he is a womanizer and a heavy drinker.

A lot of this stuff is highly debatable, and in fact, sometimes discussions about it can get rather heated, especially with certain DC comics characters. (Batman, I'm looking at *you*.)

Let's see if I can think of any that haven't been mentioned.

Professor X: Lawful Good
    Jean Grey/Phoenix: Lawful Good/Chaotic Evil
    Cyclops: Neutral Good
    Pyro: Chaotic Neutral (leaning Evil)
    Iceman: True Neutral (leaning Good)
    Rogue: Chaotic Neutral (leaning Good)
    Gambit: Chaotic Neutral
    Punisher: Lawful Neutral
    Beast: Lawful Good
    Sabretooth: Chaotic Evil
    Mystique: Chaotic Neutral

Bruce Banner/Hulk: Lawful Good/Chaotic Neutral
    Loki: Chaotic Evil ("the trickster", dominated by his impulses, and love of power for its own sake)
    Odin: Lawful Neutral (leaning Good)

The Watcher: True Neutral

Even though Galactus could technically be seen as True Neutral, (from his own point of view), if you live on one of the planets he decides to eat, I think you're going to see him as Chaotic Evil.

Reed Richards: Lawful Good
    Susan Storm-Richards: Lawful Good
    Johnny Storm - Chaotic Neutral (leaning Good)
    Ben Grimm - Chaotic Good

Anybody who's a huge fan of any of these characters might want to argue about my interpretations of them. Some of these characters are so complex, they don't fit neatly into the D&D alignment scheme.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @belgarathmth , I just disagree with mystique being CN. She is cold and focused , and a mercenary, which I would rather consider Neutral Evil.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @DJKajuru, yes, I suppose you're right. I guess her passion about mistreatment of mutants, and her unpredictability in how she seeks revenge, was why I went with CN. Your analysis is better.
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    In the old X-men comics, Professor X was a complete dick.:D Seemingly Chaotic good, with CN leanings.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I'd agree with most...maybe my 2 cents :
    Professor X tended to be quite a dick on occasions. Leaning heavily to Lawful Neutral.
    Wolverine would quite fit a Chaotic Good ranger, but leaning heavily into the Neutral territory (his fits of rage and morally-questionable choices)
    Deadpool is a masterfully done Chaotic Neutral loonie.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Personally, I think the Hulk is the ultimate Neutral. He just wants to be left alone, but if you irritate him, it will not go well for you. There is also variations for the different Hulks, from Mindless Hulk to Intelligent Hulk. Joe Fixit Hulk is Neutral with strong evil leanings (He was basically the "enforcer" for a local mob and had no problems beating people up for money). Mindless Hulk is True Neutral, as most animals are. Leave them alone, and they will leave you alone. Bother, pester, irritate or try to kill them, and you get what you get. Other Hulks differ, some being more good, others verging on Chaotic Neutral. Original Gray Hulk was CN- he wanted to destroy what Banner was doing for no more reason than because he could.

So, Hulk is more complicated than you think. Interestingly, Planet Hulk Hulk was Neutral Good- he chose to free the people of Sakaar because they were being mistreated by those in charge (and yes, he was one of those who was being mistreated, but still...). When he was made King, he was ready to settle down with Caiera- until she was killed by the Spaceship the Illuminati had sent Hulk to the planet in, along with their unborn child. When he comes back to Earth for World War Hulk, he's more Neutral, but enraged- he defeats many Superheroes, but when he attacks the X-mansion because Xavier (who was part of the Illuminati, but wasn't one of the people who sent him off in the Spaceship) says he would have agreed with the decision. But spares him when he learns of M-Day, thinking that Xavier was punished enough.

And when he learns who really caused the Spaceship to explode and caused Caiera's death, he calls off his war and allows himself to be captured, so even here, I can't really see him as evil, or even Chaotic. Hulk doesn't set out to cause Chaos- it's a byproduct of his overpowering rage and immense strength.

Yes, Bruce Banner and the Hulk have problems with anger. But I don't think that this makes them evil or generally even CN. It's not like it's something he can help, necessarily. He's damaged inside by his upbringing (abusive father leading to him being passive and thus being seen as a target by bullies and strongwilled people), and his moments of rage don't necessarily mean he's chaotic as the Hulk. Neutral, yes, but mindless Hulk is not Chaotic Neutral.