Skip to content

Planescape Torment?

pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
So, I have played BG2 quite a bit, and BG1 a few times. I am looking forward to the patch and BG2EE so I can do a full run through. Until then I am at a bit of a loss - I may abort my current run simply to keep the game feeling fresh for then.

In the meantime, should I play Planescape Torment? I have heard great things, but worry it will look bad and play too clunkily for me to enjoy it. I struggled with BG1 having played BG2 and ToB - stupid things like not pressing tab to highlight chests, not dual weilding, some classes being really weak to start with. Am I being a fool? Are there any recommended updates or mods to improve gameplay (not change the storyline or anything, but make my experience of the story smoother)?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    You should play it only without BG2 prejudices. Combat isn't very good, the UI and controlling of characters is off etc., this isn't why people think it's a good game. It's about immersing yourself in the setting and thinking about what it is you're doing and how you think about that. If you go through insta-clicking the dialogue without even reading, you're pretty much not actually playing the game. Maybe that doesn't sound too fun put like that but it's an crazy, interesting setting that's fun to learn about and comes with more weighty, thought-provoking roleplaying decisions in-game than something like BG2.

The clunky stuff, namely the combat and the odd radial menu, isn't that much of a big deal since combat is infrequent and often easily avoided. But yeah, Spellholdstudios.net has some PST mods, widescreen, bugfixes, a tweak pack IIRC. They're worthwhile.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Planescape: Torment has probally the best history i played into an RPG ever, by far, followed by Final Fantasy VI (PSX). However if you opt to play it understand that the infinite engine used on Planescape: Torment is totally crap, the engine play against you literally taking nearly all the joy of battles and active scenes.

There's not an real issue with cameras or anything like that, it's just the best story with the wrost engine and controls, so ask yourself: If the gameplay and the flux of the actions in the game (battles to be more exactly) seems boring, would you still enjoy the best RPG story ever told inside a game?

Ps: The game focus more in mental attributes than physical attributes, so expect to talk a lot and get many alternatives besides fights.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    Coming from BG the first time I played PS:T I was turned off. It was a weird world, it wasn't medieval fantasy, the system was a little different from D&D 2.0, and I didn't initially like the tone of it. Gameplay felt somewhat clunky and the combat was worse than BG or IWD. A few months later, having not played BG for a while so I had no expectations, I gave it a second chance and loved it. It's extremely well-written and has enormous depth. There is no other game like it, and I recommend it.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Torment is a game that has LOTS of dialogue and roleplaying options. Here are some reasons why I love it so much:

1-EVERY npc has something interesting to say. Every single one.

2-You can LIE. You can pretend you killed the villain and ask for the reward.

3-Spell graphics are just beautiful.

• TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Widescreen mod is may ppls recommendations however vanila pst is good enough to play.
    Well still you have to keep mind year the game made.

Some says playing pst before bg ruins fun however for me it was not the case.
    Since those two games have totally different style so experiences may vary.