Skip to content

Worg Meets Winter Wolf

VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
edited September 2013 in Off-Topic
I am not exactly the most experienced person when it comes to the 'lore', rules, etc, of traditional D&D so I have to ask...

Would a Worg/Winter Wolf hybrid be possible? And if so, what sort of creature might one suspect? I know Worgs are capable of speaking Goblin (and common?), and I believe Winter Wolves are capable of speech as well.

I don't exactly know if Worgs are considered 'canine' or have more hyena-like qualities, making them part of a different family of mammals if that were the case.

I just happen to like both categories of monsters in D&D so I had to ask.

Comments

• ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    Winter Worg?

Both are magical wolves, Worgs being demonic counterparts to regular wolves, and Winter Wolves just chilled out wolves. Don't see a reason why not, both are neutral evil, capable of speech, so unless the specific type of magic that inhabits them prevents reproduction somehow, there probably could already be little litters of Worger Wolf cubs.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    This sounds like a question not to ask @AndrewFoley.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564

This sounds like a question not to ask @AndrewFoley.

You have my curiosity :)
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    edited September 2013
    A Frostworg... I like the sound of that.
    I thought Winter Wolves were just neutral, though.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    my answer is - owlbear
    w/in the D&D ruleset, because magic is so prevalent, any two (or 3, or 4) races can breed
    rexreg said:

my answer is - owlbear
    w/in the D&D ruleset, because magic is so prevalent, any two (or 3, or 4) races can breed

I feel sorry for the owl, if the owl was the female in that arrangement...

But yeah, I didn't have any idea, that's pretty interesting to know.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I love winter wolves, they are like big puppy dawgs ( apparently in 3.5 they are the size of a horse, and they would be so cold and chilly so you could snuggle and snuggle and never over heat, puppy dawggies............... yep )
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    edited September 2013
    i like how in the 3.5 monster manual the pictures of the worg and winter wolf are next to each other. apparently winter wolves can speak common and wear earrings O.o how cool is that?
    Post edited by Night_Watch on

i like how in the 3.5 monster manual the pictures of the worg and winter wolf are next to each other. apparently winter wolves can speak common and wear earrings O.o how cool is that?

Extremely cool! Which is why I always wanted proper modding tools or an official game that would allow for you to make the CHARNAME a Winter Wolf/Worg :D It could happen, right? :P

I know in on NWN2 mod you could make CHARNAME many different races, including a Worg. I found the opening of the main campaign kind of silly when my foster father tells me to get dressed and help him sell some furs.
    Varwulf said:

Extremely cool! Which is why I always wanted proper modding tools or an official game that would allow for you to make the CHARNAME a Winter Wolf/Worg :D It could happen, right? :P

I know in on NWN2 mod you could make CHARNAME many different races, including a Worg. I found the opening of the main campaign kind of silly when my foster father tells me to get dressed and help him sell some furs.

I do recall that you can have monster npcs in 3.5 (ogres, trolls, and minotaurs oh my!) but I suppose that since BG runs on ad&d they can't take too many liberties. The class kits are nice and at least in iwd2 you can pick sub races from the main ones. Haven't played nwn2 I have it but haven't gotten around to it.

Varwulf said:

I do recall that you can have monster npcs in 3.5 (ogres, trolls, and minotaurs oh my!) but I suppose that since BG runs on ad&d they can't take too many liberties. The class kits are nice and at least in iwd2 you can pick sub races from the main ones. Haven't played nwn2 I have it but haven't gotten around to it.

IWD2 was the first of the 'series' that I ever played (of the BG, IWD, and NWN series) so for a good long while that game was the 'standard' for me. It's strange having beaten IWD2, BG1, and NWN1 so far (still working on the others), I now find IWD2 to be the oddball to play of the list because of its unique features even compared to NWN.

NWN2 can be a little tricky to get into (at least for me), but overall I think it's worth a good run. The Storm of Zehir (SP?) expansion was the most fun for me since it felt like playing IWD again :) The ability to 'interrupt' a conversation with one of your other characters was a nice touch (have someone with high bluff or intimidate chime in to the conversation, etc).

But yeah, I would very much like to see a game take on the 3.5 rules as you described them, I could see my party now...

Winter Wolf, check.
    Worg, check.
    Gnoll, check.
    Slime, ch--well, maybe not a slime :P
    @Varwulf i've always liked 3 and 3.5 and not because it was what i played the most. to me it felt that it was the most open ended out of all of the editions. you want an ogre paladin? sure why not. i mean there has to be discretion from your dm (and heavy doses of rational and common sense, which doesn't make any sense since it's a fantasy world =p) but for the most part the 3e series was the pinnacle guidebook, open for interpretation and reference for balancing any sort of chaotic game imaginable. all the editions are guidebooks of course, but with 3 at least there weren't so many restrictions to class and race. it's get a little ridiculous at higher levels (much like ToB) which is why we kept our games at the lower level end of the spectrum. i'd rather be a broken fighter running for my life from a pack of grimlocks than an archmage who farts prismatic sprays =p

IWD2 is certainly odd since it tries to incorporate 3e into the infinity engine. some don't like it but i always say that it's a heck of a lot better than Pool of Radiance (though i do enjoy the way PoR does it's magic system, especially for clerics). ToEE does a decent job of it as well. I'd like to give NWN2 a shot someday. I played a bit of NWN1 and didn't find it to my liking. I always prefer party based rpgs as opposed to the 1 man army archetype (which is why i could never get into the popular ones like witcher, and elder scrolls, and preferred games like bg, arcanum, dungeon siege [except for 3], etc).

@Varwulf i've always liked 3 and 3.5 and not because it was what i played the most. to me it felt that it was the most open ended out of all of the editions. you want an ogre paladin? sure why not. i mean there has to be discretion from your dm (and heavy doses of rational and common sense, which doesn't make any sense since it's a fantasy world =p) but for the most part the 3e series was the pinnacle guidebook, open for interpretation and reference for balancing any sort of chaotic game imaginable. all the editions are guidebooks of course, but with 3 at least there weren't so many restrictions to class and race. it's get a little ridiculous at higher levels (much like ToB) which is why we kept our games at the lower level end of the spectrum. i'd rather be a broken fighter running for my life from a pack of grimlocks than an archmage who farts prismatic sprays =p

IWD2 is certainly odd since it tries to incorporate 3e into the infinity engine. some don't like it but i always say that it's a heck of a lot better than Pool of Radiance (though i do enjoy the way PoR does it's magic system, especially for clerics). ToEE does a decent job of it as well. I'd like to give NWN2 a shot someday. I played a bit of NWN1 and didn't find it to my liking. I always prefer party based rpgs as opposed to the 1 man army archetype (which is why i could never get into the popular ones like witcher, and elder scrolls, and preferred games like bg, arcanum, dungeon siege [except for 3], etc).

Sounds like you and I have very similar interests in how we want to play our RPGs. Don't get me wrong, plenty of the 'one man army' types have garnered my interest from time to time, but the party based RPGs are my bread and butter (another reason why I recommend Storm of Zehir for NWN2, since you can create your own party (I think you can only create 4 and the other 2 slots are filled up by NPCs)).

I also agree with you about the 3/3.5 rules vs older rule sets. My friend (also on the board, goes by Nyrox) and I have been playing BG: EE a lot together (we went through NWN1 and all xpacs together before doing this) and we constantly stumble over the restrictions, to the point where we get a bit frustrated now and then :P

"WHY CAN'T MY ELF BE A DRUID THIS MAKES NO SENSE!?"
    "I HAD A HALFLING SORCERER IN NWN, WHY CAN'T I DO IT HERE?"

Regardless, we still enjoy pretty much all D&D games together and try to make the most of them. I've yet to try PoR (though I do own it) as well as ToEE. Arcanum I haven't gotten too far into yet but I've been itching to get back to it.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    @Varwulf
    in a game many yrs ago, a friend of mine accidentally exchanged his personality w/ that of a patch of Yellow Mold...
    when asked what his next action was he screwed his face up & in a strained voice said, "I replicate!"
    @Varwulf I've played a handful of single player rpgs (morrowind, fable series, torchlight, nier [which i absolutely loved]) i remember seeing something on youtube from nwn2 there was a party of four with some npcs on battlements fighting hordes of monsters. it looked pretty epic.

ad&d is pretty strict with race and classes. i never understood why elves couldn't be druids but that's how it is. only humans and half-elves can i think. i think only humans, elves, and half-elves can be sorcerers. i also think ad&d is a bit biased towards those three races (at least in respect to bg, it seems they prefer them 'tall folk'. i like to think i know things =p

Arcanum! i've actually never beaten it because i suffer from chronic restarters syndrome with that game XDimage
    Arcanum in a nutshell =p
    @Night_Watch This made my day on so many levels XD Thank you, kind sir...
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I'm a noob at this D&D and BG business... but surely Gandalf should be Dual-classed, he starts off as a pure Mage! Also what class exactly would allow use of an AK-47?!

I think I am over-thinking this...