Skip to content

Horrible original design + EE bugs = impossible scenario

GaveGave Member Posts: 66
edited December 2013 in Not An Issue
So,

Durlag's Tower Level 3

Starts with a constant fireball effect that blocks saving and resting. Very challenging and expensive even to pass this obstacle alone (reload-fest), and then the game crashes when you want to enter (teleport to) the sub-areas of this level.

Good way to waste hours trying then give up while scratching your head...

It is so fatally broken that it almost feels like being trolled by the designers.

Solution 1: Let us save while spell effects active
2.: Lets replace the crappy constant shootind with a trap

3. (best one) - place a switch on the opposite side of the room so a single party member with 100% resist can disable the effect.

Thanks for listening.
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    I think you can save between the explosions can't you? As long as there isn't one going off at that moment, just be fast on the Q-key. And once you are out of sight line from the trap can't you save at any time? I've been through Durlag's quite a few times since getting EE and I don't remember experiencing bugs (with this specific situation at least). I haven't had it freeze up either when going through the elemental chambers, although sometimes it seems like it really really wants to when being transported to the giant chess board.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    This is far from impossible. Here's some tips about dealing with that room.

Watch the fireballs. Put your character just out of reach of their blast radius, wait for one, and then RUN! RUN! RUN LIKE THE DICKENS.

Repeat with your entire party, move out of sight of the trap, and then you can save/rest. I think, anyways. I haven't been down there for a while.
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2013
    As above poster stated.
    The fireballs are timed..you can easily get your group by one at a time. Or just haste everyone and make a dash for it.
    I didn't find that room hard at all.
    It's not that far to the next door.
    Never lost anyone or even suffered damage.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    yeah, you can rest and save inbetween fireball blasts, and when doing the elemental rooms, you should do the fire room last, that is what I do, and everything works honky doory, and infact I fought the demon knight last night for the first time (or at least i think so) in bgee and damn is he ever different from vanilla, although I had a weak party, so bad times bears there
  • GaveGave Member Posts: 66
    It is bugged at least for me, there is a lower time window to pass due to it. Passing the trap is not the real issue though, just adds to the annoyance.

For me the fireball effect leaves a constant "spell mark" ***entirely*** blocking saving. Then there is the elemental room occasionally crashing the game.

There are a few things left to fix really, 3 or 4 I remember frequently crashing the game, otherwise they have done a good job.

If i have had the stomach I could have repeated the whole level 3 10-15 times and probably had a passing thru. But there are just too many annoyance in it to worth it

Bad run, no crash
    Good run, with crash

I had 4 run thru, I even lowered the difficulty for this level only, but I gave up...I guess I might someday finish this area with a different playthru, since I finished the game yesterday.

Oh and after Sarevok dies, I got another odd crash, well at least in time.