Skip to content

Which class makes the most "sense"?

13»

Comments

• RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    I thought I had commented along the lines of something akin to this before. So, I looked up my post history and had a quick look. It's in the forum archives now, thus I cannot directly quote from the thread. Nevertheless, I was able to select "edit post" which presents the opportunity to copy and paste.
    RnRClown said:

Severon said:

Gnome or Half Elf Cleric/Mage :D
    You character could have been taught magic from Gorion while you worked as a cleric of Ogmha the rest of the time.

I like it!

I too think of how Charname would have became proficient in a class. If a Fighter it could have been through participating in daily training drills lead by the Gate Warden, while sparring with Fuller and Hull before sun down. Rogue skills are a trait Charname could have learned from Imoen while growing up in Candlekeep together, refining their skills in tandem within the vast library with many an opportunity to test their ability to hide in shadows, to move silently, to open locks and to pick pockets. Mage and Cleric have been mentioned above.

It's the likes of a Druid or a Ranger that I find a shade more difficult to weave a background for. Both are woodsmen with a desire for nature, and the protection of animals for which they form a mutual bond of kinship. Charname could have discovered a secret way out of Candlekeep's walls to explore the surrounding wilderness, especially with Imoen looking to improve her sleuthing and lock picking skills. Charname may have been an avid reader of books relating to nature and/or the elves, especially if Jaheira had made a lasting and a positive impression upon Charname whilst visiting Gorion in years past.
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    edited September 2013

EX: Druid. As part of your training, you had to learn herb lore and botany. These areas you always excelled in. Very quickly you surpassed the lore master on herb lore and plant medicine, and you always had an affinity with the animals that were kept in the Keep. Digging into the library, you studied all of the gods associated with animals and druidic life until you found one the touched your soul. You read about the druidic circle that was just outside Candlekeep and the druid rites that were performed there until you could perform them blindfolded. One day a member of a local druid coven came to Candlekeep to speak. You sought her out and you both talked late into the evening about all things druidic. You became fast friends and every time she returned, she brought news of nature and the rule of balance. Eventually you adopted your chosen Deity into your heart and began praying to them nightly. Miraculously, the small plants that grew outside your tiny window sill flourished. And one day, while walking in the grove, you swore that a bird spoke to you telling you that someone was hurt, but it must have been in your mind. You ran to the training fiends “just to be sure” and found that one of the guards had gotten hurt in combat practice. When you touched his wound it miraculously healed. You were touched by the power of your deity. Hey presto, you are a level 1 Druid. (most level 1 and level 2 divine spells are 99% faith and 1% divine ability anyway).

I like it, you could also argue that nature exists inside a city. There might not be large predators, but you have mice, and birds, and worms, and cats, and dogs and so on. There are plants too, tended by humans.

This reminds of the "spirit of the land" in skullkickers. Where they adapted to city life, still spirits of nature.
  • DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    For me the most canon feeling was always a sorcerer, considering they draw their power from innate strength be it divine or dragon.

This playthrough I'm playing a Wizard Slayer so in response to the original post:

@Ammar_87

How about this.

The PC lived a life in the safety of Candlekeep, surround by lore and magic. Despite his father's best efforts he was too impulsive and excitable for combat to ever learn the way of magic(Bhaal's murderous touch I guess?). After years of failure Gorion decided to teach his foster child the next best thing, how to defend himself from magic.

Learning how to shrug off magic and ward off spells he became increasingly adept in resisting them. Furthermore he learned how to set mages off, put them off balance just the right way to prevent them from finishing their hand gestures and intimidating them with his presence to prevent them from properly finishing their spells.

(in my playthrough he will dual to a rogue) After meeting up and cooperating with the shadow thieves, he learned the knack of stealth.

This because, the easiest way to kill a mage is.... when they never see you coming.