Skip to content

Capstone bonus

SindyanSindyan Member Posts: 146
One thing that I would like to see someday is to borrow the idea if capstone bonus from ddo.
I feel people who play their class as pure should have a benefit that makes it worth it instead of dual and multi classes which are more powerful in almost all cases. This way it would not make dual and multi classing useless but it would balance the classes.
I do understand 2e is not balanced very well.
Maybe this could be a Hla or someone.

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    What do you mean exactly by "capstone bonus"? I do not understand.
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    edited September 2013
    @ZelgadisGW for example in "Pathfinder" all core classes get a capstone ability(neat ability) at level 20(max level) to reward a player for dedication(Barbarian gets a better rage, the Fighter passive bonuses with a specific weapon i belive). Thing is in 2nd edition unless you play as a mage most likely your already reached a platau ten levels ago. HLAs help to a certain extent, but some bonuses(even passive) would be nice.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Capstones are things you get at the end of your progression. So for instance, a mage might get "Immortality" at level 30, a druid might be treated as a plant (becoming immune to critical hits and a host of other humanoid-specific effects), a monk might transcend the material plane altogether. That kind of thing.
    That kind of thing would be cool, but I see two problems.

First, BG2 level cap. I cannot recall playthrought I legally reached it.
    Second, balance. Many people of this forums will be against it, claiming that a single-player game doesn't need a balance (which is simply not true, IMO) etc. Also, PnP purists might be against it.
  • SindyanSindyan Member Posts: 146
    I agree with you zel but I just feel like there should be some kind of bonus for not being another kensi/Mage.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Before they start throwing in other bonuses, they need to nerf everything down (or buff up in a few cases) everything to it's PnP levels of power.
  • SindyanSindyan Member Posts: 146
    I agree but it would probably be better just to buff up the classes that need it and if they make baldurs gate 3 start over from there:
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    its not to bad actually, any non human who is a single class cant dual, I have beserkers and wizards stay single classed all the time ( well actually I've been switching up the wizards to fighter 7/ wizard xx, but only losing one spell per level is sooooooooo much better........ and now this is actually proving your point.....) but lets see, what should happen is when you hit max level in your single class, some random chap should come out of no where, and be like; yo homes, since you haven't had some extreme RP OP ADHD, I have a shop fer ye and I will only sell my I-tAmS to you or any maxed out single class character ye got < of coarse they wouldn't be extreme items but enough to make it worth the while, so for exampler a necklace that gives you 20% electric restance, a shield+3 that also gives +5 HP, a ring that gives +2 save vs spells + 10 fire resistance, jargon like that> :) horray midnight (:
    @ZanathKariashi
    It's a videogame, not a PnP DnD session. At least we can agree on that, can't we?

The very fact that @God agreed with you is disturbing.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

The very fact that @God agreed with you is disturbing.

I'm sorry to have disturbed you but I can't help but agree with @ZanathKariashi
    As much as I am aware of the fact that this is a dream never to come true, I would still greatly enjoy a 'nerfed' rather than 'enhanced' rendition of Baldur's Gate. There is, of course, a lot of desirable enhancing that can be done but I'd rather play the game vanilla but with all the silly things fixed and properly balanced. Mind, I design things myself and if I worked without setting myself some standards like the folks at Black Isle did, you would now sport a grassy giraffe head growing on your back, have turnip wheelbarrows for hands and aquaria filled with violet hump-backed toads instead of eyes. I actually created creatures like these but I hid them in the depths of the ocean. There is nothing harmful little harm in my expecting others to follow standards similar to mine, even though I know they can't.
    And a capstone bonus could be something to think about but only after the game is repaired.
    @God
    If so, then why playing Baldur's Gate instead of Pen and Paper DnD session? I think you must have know that videogame had to had it's limitations and differences from PnP for a reason.
    edited September 2013
    No it does not. The only reason BG isn't the best DnD CRPG ever made is due to people using that tired and constantly proven wrong excuse to protect their grossly overpowered/wrong mechanics they refuse to live without.

Unless it involves jumping, flying, climbing, mounts, swimming, or destruction of the environment, it's do-able in BG. And some of those can be worked around.
    You cannot get to agreement with purists, I think. Very well, I don't try that again.

@God
    If so, then why playing Baldur's Gate instead of Pen and Paper DnD session? I think you must have know that videogame had to had it's limitations and differences from PnP for a reason.

I don't play any kind of PnP. Might be because no one in my social circles does and I have too little spare time to venture to expand my range of acquaintances into circles that do play it. Or, might be I just spend too much time in the gym.
    And I know all too well that video games, especially the big and complex ones, have limitations - I develop games myself, too. However, technical limitations are no excuse for overlooking serious gameplay issues that trouble BG. Besides, having modded my IE games quite a bit, I know that Infinity Engine's limitations are rather few and far between and the only problem is that these limitations are largely hardcoded within the game files themselves and can't be easily manipulated like other, external resources. Whereas modders can fix or alter certain portions of the game, the program itself should undergo proper quality assurance carried out by the devs. This includes, but is not limited to, what ZanathKariashi proposes. If my company was responsible for overhauling Baldur's Gate, I'd also e.g. revamp the interface (probably more IWD2/NWN style, that would allow for much greater flexibility), resolve technical level design issues (mostly pathfinding) and rewrite AI from scratch. But, since it's up to Beamdog and not me, let 'em do it their way.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    God said:

@God

I don't play any kind of PnP. Might be because no one in my social circles does and I have too little spare time to venture to expand my range of acquaintances into circles that do play it. Or, might be I just spend too much time in the gym.
    I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't shamelessly plug the hell out of RPG Crossing, another awesome community of D&D enthusiasts. They do PnP gaming in a play-by-post format, and there's games starting up all the time. Unlike regular tabletop, there's no obligation to play entire "sessions" all at once; you post when you can, and the DM carries the story forward when appropriate.

...And that's all I'll say on that matter, since it's super off topic. I've always been a fan of capstones; I also am intrigued by the idea of only giving high-level abilities to the base classes, as a trade-off for the kits being "more powerful". Of course, that would then also require some kit rebalancing; the Wizard Slayer, for instance, would need to be beefed up a bit in order to be competitive.
    edited September 2013
    Hence why I said they should nerf everything down (or buff up ) to pnp levels first.

If proper penalties/benefits were applied to classes/kits, you really would have to sit down and think whether or not a kit was worth taking over it's vanilla class.

Just a handful of examples since the list is massive.

Only vanilla fighters can go above specialization. This is explicitly mentioned in the CF and C&T books for mastery and above (and optionally, and highly recommended by both books, that mastery and above require at least lvl 9 before it can be attained, pushing GM up to lvl 15 minimum). Kits gain other benefits/playstyles, while the fighter is a just a general melee combatant.

(the kensai's mastery of their chosen weapon is built into their class-features, a fighter even with GM, cannot hold a candle to what a kensai can do using the same weapon, and were Mastery limited to lvl 9+ as the books recommends, the Kensai would always be better with that weapon, instead of just most of the time).

(Obviously the Wizard slayer is in dire need of a massive overhaul...but...it just depends on if one of it's iconic abilities (passive bonus that allows them to ignore hit-requirements of a particular level, with non-magical weapons, since they can't use ANY magical equipment) is feasible to implement. The monk can do it, because their fist weapon actually changes to a new one with the proper flags....but the wizard slayer does it with any melee weapon, I mean there's ways to workaround that, but if that mechanic is possible, it would also allow for implementation of the Imbue with Magic druid spell (allows unarmed/natural attacks of creatures to by-pass some hit requirements, based on caster level) which would be a huge boon to druid shapeshifting/animal summons.)

Vanilla thieves get the ability to cast spells from scrolls at lvl 10 (50% base success, -5% per spell level, +5% per point of int over 14). No kit gains this feature. Also, unlike BG, UAI (Thief) is acquired automatically at 24 by vanilla thieves and removes the failure chance of their scroll use ability, depending on class level (up to 6th spell level by 30).

(Limiting HLAs so that only BH's get epic traps, only vanilla thieves get UAI (changed to only allow them to use scrolls and wands instead of anything), only assassins get Assassination (but can now select it multiple times, similar to WWA), and only Swashbucklers get WWA (as current) would go a long away to making the classes distinctly useful).

I also wouldn't mind seeing racial caps enforced for mutil-class characters, or change HLA to be gained based on level, instead of total xp. Currently MC have no real disadvantage and end up with about 7 more HLA then a single class does, and are overall more powerful on top, especially the dual-caster MC's.

Proper druid spell-casting. at 15 their base spell capacity jumps to 1-6th: 7, 7th: 6, but never improves further (their caster levels continues to progress until level 20). And instead of HLA, starting at 16 and every 3 levels there after they gain 1 daily use of Elemental Summoning (totaling 7 casts at 31), which upgrades to Greater Elemental summoning at 22.
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    I can agree with them buffing and reworking some of the kits. A few of them like wizard slayer are pretty much worthless.

This isn't PnP though. The game isn't going to be PnP (I'm not happy about certain PnP bonuses not included like wisdom and int bonuses) however some of you want to nerf and attack to ridiculous levels.
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Simply put. Even taking into a account more frequent battles then in PnP...it doesn't matter. The reason you don't do a lot of battles in PnP is cause they take forever to run. CRPGs don't that have problem. You still have the same amount of resources to work with, and most of enemies even taking into account my suggested nerf/buffs are MUCH weaker they should be.

BG throws out MASSIVE amounts of overkill at the player's disposal, to the point you don't even have to learn the game to play. And people STILL want more buffs to things that are already buffed so high even a munchkin friendly DM would be sick of all that $%#^.

And that isn't even touching the monty haul and lack of limitations (casters especially were just given a free-pass to do whatever with no disadvantages, aside from spell-capacity which even that is mostly a joke due to the ease of resting whenever and several means of by-passing it, through exploits or VERY bone-head design decisions that took what the DMG says you should never do, and did the opposite)

You could implement every single nerf and buff I've ever suggested (I've implemented a lot of the easier to implement ones already to my own game to test out before suggesting them), and new player would have just as much trouble picking up the game as they do now, and they would learn the ins and outs just as fast as they do now.

The only difference is, even once they gained experience, the game would still remain fairly challenging without the need for mods, and they could freely choose a class/kit for playstyle/fluff, without worrying over the fact that they chose a vanilla fighter but a berserker can do everything they can, better, with no real downsides, and a massive over-buff on top.

The problem though is the scope. BG has evolved into a beastly mess of random house rules that clearly favor some classes/kits while the rest were just kind of tossed in, and a few were nerfed on top of just being tossed in willy-nilly, making the class much weaker then it should've been.

(in no particular order)
    1. Base Mechanics
    2. Base Classes
    3. Kits
    4. Spells/Abilities
    5. Items
    6. Monsters/Npcs
    7. Quests/Storyline
    8. UI

Some of those, especially spells/abilities are massive and interlaced with several other areas, especially ensuring kits perform correctly.

It's all wishful thinking....but currently only the developers have the access needed to open up or change things that haven't been possible before. Even if they can't implement something themselves, at least making sure all the tools and systems possible to make something happen are available to modders is better then nothing.

It's all wishful thinking....but currently only the developers have the access needed to open up or change things that haven't been possible before. Even if they can't implement something themselves, at least making sure all the tools and systems possible to make something happen are available to modders is better then nothing.

Releasing some kind of "Infinity Engine Toolset" granting access to the now inaccessible data would probably be the best solution for the devs. I guess that there is quite a few people who would take it from there and gradually release the relevant fixes as a large-scale mod, so there is this option to leave BG as it is and let the modders do their job. I see no viable reason for this not to happen money-wise as it could easily provide additional income for the devs, should they e.g. charge a small fee for the modding software or even create a platform where commercial IE mods, or "unofficial DLCs", could be hosted (and they could get their share as a percentage of the modders' revenue, as seen in e.g. Apple's AppStore). Also, this could potentially solve some of the contract issues that hinder the 'enhancing' of EE so greatly, since this would allow for publishing content that would piss off WotC/Atari otherwise - by making them available as not officially approved, fan-made stuff.
    I did, however, witness WotC sue someone just because they used the name and general idea of a "beholder" without official approval (sometimes known as $), so it might not be such a good idea, after all. Though, who knows, perhaps both they and Atari would see it as a relevant compromise with the community if they, too, would be getting an extra bit of revenue.
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    edited September 2013
    I'll tell you what if you can make the changes and fully flesh them out so they are reasonable, then I'll happily support them when you want to request them to be implemented.

I'm all in favor of you getting the mod tools required to do so.

As I've said, I'm not opposed to making quite a few more things closer to PnP to actually make them useful and better. However I do read your post and a lot of them are very long and usually contain things that won't translate well into a game system. If for example you wanted to change a wizard slayer(I know I do) make a post like these are the current advantage and disadvantages of the wizard slayer, I'd like to change them to, then make a list that has things that are at somewhat closer to PnP that can actually be put into a CRPG. A lot of the lore has features that simply cannot be put into a CRPG system, if that's the case then take ideas or find a way to translate them into the game system to the best of your ability. You have done this to a certain extent with some of your post, but I recommend toning it down a bit more.