Skip to content

Extreme Pacifism Challenge

LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
edited September 2013 in Archive (General Discussion)
Here's a little something to occupy your time whilst awaiting the latest patch. First of all, ask yourself if it is even possible to play let alone enjoy a run through with a...pacifist?! I'm talking about NO KILLING, and avoiding violence whenever possible. For me, I like my games bloody, not necessarily of the mindless violence variety, but when the blood spills, I like a lot of it. So for me, this is a challenge to not kill things that I know I could or really want to!

Here are the rules:

*Hard difficulty (middle right)
*You may damage and destroy the undead, inanimate objects (locks), jellies, slimes, oozes, and constructs (including those soulless abominations known as flesh golems!)
*You may not kill a living being, no matter what!
*You may knock living things unconscious, use magic to hinder them (hold, sleep, paralyze), and manipulate their minds.
*Have fun!

I chose a halfling shadow dancer. My plan is to hide, and steal my way as far as I can go!

So far I attracted a guards attention by robbing a nobles chest at Winthorp's, but I was able to hide and sneak past him. :)
Post edited by Lateralus on

Comments

• 1) I think this is impossible as you have to kill sarevok/irenicus to win the game.

2) why undead, but not flesh golems? there is 0 difference.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    @LordsDarkKnight185

1. It IS impossible, but we shall attempt it nonetheless! For prosperities sake? I myself think I can get to Baldur's Gate within those rules, the hardest part would be using a Charm spell on Davedorn so I can rob the scrolls I need to progress the quest line!

2. Golems are created via the conjurations schools teaching as apposed to the school of necromancy, so I find their existence to be more of a perverted scientific experiment instead of dead matter willed to move for evil deads. A flesh golem IS CAPABLE of protecting and aiding other living things, so in essence it has a soul. If I was a mage I would create a flesh golem to guard my baby girl, smashing all to goo who get too close.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @Lateralus just make sure its a flesh golem to protect your baby girl and not a stone golem, there was someone else who did the exact same thing but used a stone golem, and well, could have been bad times those :)
    I don't have a baby girl, just a GF and a labrador. But if I DID...I would totally conjure one.
  • Lateralus said:

@LordsDarkKnight185

2. Golems are created via the conjurations schools teaching as apposed to the school of necromancy, so I find their existence to be more of a perverted scientific experiment instead of dead matter willed to move for evil deads. A flesh golem IS CAPABLE of protecting and aiding other living things, so in essence it has a soul. If I was a mage I would create a flesh golem to guard my baby girl, smashing all to goo who get too close.

I Respectfully disagree.

Do Robots and machines have souls? I am sure there is a great theological debate here somewhere.

And ANY golem is "CAPABLE of protecting and aiding other living things" but then again...so are skeletons and zombies, as they are controlled by a necromancer...Just because flesh is used instead of stone, do not confuse a golem to be anything other than what it is.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    A challenge without a minimum possibility of success isn't a challenge it's a folly attempt. People should know their limits and while i could agree with your terms to roleplay an paladin of Ilmater.

A pacifist, normally adepts of ilmater teachings, are exactly what some lines in Buddhism does. Still when Buddhism preach the erradication of suffering it's not to be an literal or black and white concept. When you endure suffering to lift it from others, you're still suffering. When you don't kill a person and that person turns to be an phsycopath and kill hundreds, thousands will suffer for you act of charity.

The Witcher is a game that resume this kind of consequence perfectly.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think someone already posted a run in one of the no reload games with like 6 kills in ch6 IIRC. I think you have to kill the Cleric in mines, then the guy at Feldepost's, then Davaeorn (not sure about bandit camp)... wish I could remember who posted that play.

I think someone already posted a run in one of the no reload games with like 6 kills in ch6 IIRC. I think you have to kill the Cleric in mines, then the guy at Feldepost's, then Davaeorn (not sure about bandit camp)... wish I could remember who posted that play.

Mulahey can be pick pocketed, I'm sure those scrolls he carries would eventually drop.

To find the bandit camp simply interrogate that one bandit on the map between Beregost and the Friendly Arm Inn.

You can put his group of bandits to sleep and then literally punch him in the face until he spills the info.

The bandit camp is a joke, sneak in, disarm chest, loot contents, and sneak out.

Sneak into Davedorns lair, paralyze guard, destroy battle horrors or disarm the traps, charm Davedorn, and then steal scrolls off of him.

Sound challenging? It is.

Lateralus said:

@LordsDarkKnight185

I Respectfully disagree.

Do Robots and machines have souls? I am sure there is a great theological debate here somewhere.

And ANY golem is "CAPABLE of protecting and aiding other living things" but then again...so are skeletons and zombies, as they are controlled by a necromancer...Just because flesh is used instead of stone, do not confuse a golem to be anything other than what it is.
    My argument was pretty weak, I suppose I shall change the rule.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    This sounds interesting... and pretty crazy.

If you were less strict, you can just make the Charname pacifist, and encourages his companions to abstain from killing, but when threatened, his companions will still defend themselves with lethal force against obviously evil enemies that do not negotiate.

This sounds interesting... and pretty crazy.

If you were less strict, you can just make the Charname pacifist, and encourages his companions to abstain from killing, but when threatened, his companions will still defend themselves with lethal force against obviously evil enemies that do not negotiate.

Too easy
    To this kind of challenge work the game must be modded toward this intent. That's what i think at least.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    For Sarevok:

Before you kill him, you must knock him unconscious--either with a sleep-like spell, or with fist damage. Then, before you deal the finishing blow, you must let the game sit for a round or two, unpaused, as your character contemplates the meaning of this moment and possible alternatives (or offers surrender). Then kill him as you like, but you may not kill his lackeys.

For Irenicus:

The same rules apply, except when you're in Hell. At that point you're both dead.

The same also applies to all of the Bhaalspawn in Throne of Bhaal. You have to kill them for the plot, but for the sake of the challenge it is sufficient to have a moment's regret before you "do them in".
  • AkuratheunseenAkuratheunseen Member Posts: 28
    Don't you have to kill his lackeys to finish him off?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Sarevok?

I don't believe so; however, it's...a lot easier if you do.
  • AkuratheunseenAkuratheunseen Member Posts: 28
    Reason i asked was i tried killing just him but he never actually died until i killed his lackeys i musta did like 500 damage to him

Don't you have to kill his lackeys to finish him off?

Sarevok? No, once he is 86'ed the game ends unless you have a mod that let's you keep playing. In which case, I'm not sure you can leave that room until everybody is eliminated.

With regards to mind manipulation, I am contemplating more restrictions. I find the temptation to mentally dominate NPC's and have THEM kill stuff for me, as a very enticing option. I wanted those boots of stealth so bad that I charmed Bub Snikt and had him kill the hobgoblins for me. I consider that run a failure. This is tougher than I thought it would be. There is some grey area with the confusion spell too. I was thinking a Jester would have a good chance at succeeding at this challenge, but, when people are confused they also attack each other so there goes that theory.

Gonna try a gnome illusionist/thief this time. Hobbit shadowdancers remind me of Frodo Baggins everytime I disappear in front of hostiles. That's a pretty incredible kit BTW, a shadowdancer-mage would be crazy good!
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    I recently played a minimal kill run with a solo gnome ill/thief. It's not breaking news to a lot of people, but I didn't realize until I did it that 9 must die to advance the story in BG:
    Mulahey
    Daeveron
    6 Dopplegangers
    Sarevok

You can charm others to do the work for you in most cases and you can save/reload until others kill the dopplegangers but in the end they must die somehow.

It was a completely different playthrough and I really enjoyed it. However I only played it on core rules.
    Lateralus said:

Mulahey can be pick pocketed, I'm sure those scrolls he carries would eventually drop.

To find the bandit camp simply interrogate that one bandit on the map between Beregost and the Friendly Arm Inn.

You can put his group of bandits to sleep and then literally punch him in the face until he spills the info.

The bandit camp is a joke, sneak in, disarm chest, loot contents, and sneak out.

Sneak into Davedorns lair, paralyze guard, destroy battle horrors or disarm the traps, charm Davedorn, and then steal scrolls off of him.

Sound challenging? It is.
    Mulahey won't have the scrolls on him until he is dead, afaik.

You can bluff your way into the bandit camp with a strength of 18.

I tried not killing Daeveron, but I couldn't get past without killing him, ymmv.

It is challenging and quite rewarding!
    Mulahey doesn't need to die, all you need is his symbol of Cyric and the 2 notes from the chest to advance the game chapter.
    The notes do not appear in the chest until he is dead, at least in my play through. I tried pickpocketing him, but he has no items. I concede I may have missed something, but I couldn't get past without him dead.
  • BazzaBazza Member Posts: 57
    I've taken up this challenge too, its pretty fun, you can "kill" Mulahey and Davaeorn by charming them and getting their minions to kill them, it doesn't go on the record as a kill by the PC. I've made it to Baldur's Gate with zero kills!
    Bazza said:

I've taken up this challenge too, its pretty fun, you can "kill" Mulahey and Davaeorn by charming them and getting their minions to kill them, it doesn't go on the record as a kill by the PC. I've made it to Baldur's Gate with zero kills!

That's good news! I opted against a gnome f/t and I'm going with a 1/2 elf jester instead. If Confusion spell kills don't count, then let the games begin. :)
    Then in BG2 any kill with a summoned demon is still a pacifist act?
    kamuizin said:

Then in BG2 any kill with a summoned demon is still a pacifist act?

...no....I'm pretty sure summoning a demon is a failed run.

@bazza bad news man, you failed. Using magic that puts a living being in danger and gets them killed, is an act of violence and murder.

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    What if my char has extremely low INT/WIS scores? Can it be justifiably said that I killed people by accident or through negligence and not ill will?

What if my char has extremely low INT/WIS scores? Can it be justifiably said that I killed people by accident or through negligence and not ill will?

No. Ankheg's have insect intelligence and they are violent, attacking because you cannot establish a higher code of conduct beyond self preservation is not a justifiable means to navigate through this challenge.

This quest is for the enlightened.

My Jester got greedy trying to steal from Charmed gnolls and they killed him. So I rolled up a gnome I/T. I "found" all the hidden treasure and ran through the 2 man quests on the ankheg map and got some levels. Things got morally confusing when I decided to help Joia get her stupid ring back.

I charmed and stole stuff from some hobgoblins, and somehow ended up leading a horde of 7 hobgoblins into the keep. The guards were getting slaughtered so I charmed Tarnesh to help out and after the spell wore off he got killed and pretty much every but one guard surived. So 12 living things are laying around dead in the "Friendly" Arm Courtyard and I started it all.

Failed run.
    Ah sad times, looks like the pacifist PC will have to spend his days travelling the sword coast in chapter 2, he'll only dream of seeing the big city of Baldur's Gate :)
    Bazza said:

Ah sad times, looks like the pacifist PC will have to spend his days travelling the sword coast in chapter 2, he'll only dream of seeing the big city of Baldur's Gate :)

Not sure what the big deal is. I got a half-orc cleric/thief (named Pale Orc!) and this challenge has been a walk in the park. First of all, you can disarm traps, loot chests, and pick pockets while in sanctuary mode. I actually never knew that before this. It's 1,000 times better than using the stealth, except that you can't backstab from sanctuary. I pumped up my theft skill and robbed Mulahey and looted the chest without alerting anybody.

I returned to the mayor and I'm a hero now. Zero dead peoples.

@Lateralus Ah well you'll fail at Davaeorn as you can't progress the plot without killing him! :)