Skip to content

Do you abuse game engine in ironman mode?

gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
edited September 2013 in Challenges and Playthroughs
By abuse meaning situations like the following:
- exiting the area when the enemy start casting a spell, meaning the spell will be wasted, and keep switching areas until he runs out of spells (rebuttal: the caster should maintain a line of sight with the intended target, and if there is a door in between, tough luck!)
- using Protection from Undead when fighting liches, or drinking potions while under the effect of a Protection of Magic scroll (EE "feature")
- using Cloak of the Nymph / Algernon Cloak repeatedly
- abusing wands (summons spam, or simultaneous use of fireball wands with necklace of missiles to nuke an area)
- other (please explain)
  1. Do you abuse game engine in ironman mode?15 votes
    1. Yes, because it was not designed for ironman mode in the first place.
      66.67%
    2. No, I don't do anything that feels like cheating or AI can't possibly do, even if the death is imminent.
      33.33%
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    um i put no but i do rest more often than i should, although i try not too though playing a mage thats just me feeling scared when i dont have a spell to unleash to i can run away :D
  • MonkLoverMonkLover Member Posts: 24
    When doing a monk solo run on insanity, it's a necessary evil.
    lunarJuliusBorisov
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I hardly ever play Ironman, but when I do, I don't use cheese. Otherwise, there is no point in ironman run, is there?
    Wiggles
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    edited September 2013
    What about pre-buffing before unexpected attacks, such as before fighting the four warders in Durlag's Tower 1st dungeon level? Or defending the dukes against dopplegangers during the coronation scene. Do you do it? Starting that fight unprepared can be lethal.
  • lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    edited September 2013
    Depends on the nature of the challenge. I don't think using protection from X scrolls are necessarily cheating, TBH. If it's not exploiting a mechanic in an unreasonable way (run to and from doors) then it's ok. Using the cloak is not abuse in any way.

I try to keep the metagaming low, but if there's an ingame reason to suspect anything my characters are prepared, though. And after a few adventures I think it's reasonable to take that to "when in doubt, be prepared - this realm be crazy".