Skip to content

new party

So I've been playing BG:EE for a few weeks now. I keep wanting to create new teams as I learn what I like and dislike about certain classes. So after playing (in progress) a few single player and multiplayer games, I've decided to create my whole 6 char team with no npcs. Curious about people that have played all the through if there is anything that I am neglecting that I should have. I am only interested in solo classes atm.

1. Human Berserker
2. Human Cavalier
3. Human Bard
4. Elf Archer
5. Human Cleric
6. Human Conjurer

With solo classes only, what do you think?

Comments

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited September 2013
    If you're going pure classes only, then there's little reason to choose humans for so many of your party apart perhaps from roleplay reasons.

Dwarves get great saves and very good constitution at the cost of 1 DEX. The Berserker and Cleric could both be Dwarves quite easily. If you have a Dwarf then they're a good candidate to get a tome of dexterity, as going from 17 to 18 DEX gives an AC bonus, while going from 18 to 19 does not.

There's little reason from a powergaming perspective not to go Half-elf for your Bard. They get a couple of bonuses over humans with no drawbacks. Also - consider Blade or Skald instead of base Bard as both have significant advantages with minimal penalties.

For your Conjurer, again, consider a Half-elf for racial resists to sleep and charm.

You have no thief. While Bards provide pickpocket they are unable to find or remove traps, which will cause significant problems if you plan on visiting Durlag's tower.

*Edit* I know you said you're not interested in multi or dual classes, but they can be very versatile and effective. Replacing your Archer or Bard with a Fighter/Thief or Fighter/Mage adds significant utility to the party. Berserkers are also great candidates to dual at level 7 to Cleric or Druid, again adding utility through more casters while losing little melee power. They have a period of downtime which can be annoying, but tend to be useful in the meantime. The Cleric could be replaced with a Fighter/Cleric multiclass who will be better in combat but eventually have slightly less divine casting power. I've had very successful playthroughs with a Dwarven Fighter/Cleric as both main tank and the only divine caster.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Strong party, but no thief. In your case, I would replace the Bard with a Thief (if you like backstabbing, then a vanilla one. If not-a swashbuckler) And then, because Conjurers can not Identify replace the Mage for a normal one, Illusionist or a Wild Mage.
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    That's a pretty strong party, 3 front liners and 3 spellscasters, and the archer covers pretty much all ranged fire you need. However there's no thief and that's a class I always have around (sometimes even 2 of them). Thieves abilities are great!
    An elf fighter/thief would be almost as awesome with the long bow as the archer while taking care of thieving duties, but you said solo class only. Elven pure thief or swash are good choices as well.
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    I would replace the archer with a Half ling swashbuckler using a sling and buckler. The swashbuckler ability's and the half ling bonus to slings make it a viable ranged character that can deal with locks and traps
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    As others have said, you need a thief (preferably in place of the bard).

Beyond that though, your party should kick mega-arse.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I have an elf swashbuckler for multiplayer that would fit well in this party. His name is Winston. Other than lacking a "detect trapper" it is a strong group.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    For my money, I'd swap the Conjurer for a Wild Mage and either the Archer or the Berzerker for a thief, either a Swashbuckler or a Bounty Hunter. And you might as well take a Cleric Kit with your Cleric and all of the bard kits are considered stronger then the vanilla bard.

Also, Humans' only real benefit is the ability to Dual Class, so if you're not gonna do that you might as well pick other races.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @CaptRory is right. Take a Cleric kit, they are awesome and they have NO downsides. Especially Priest of Talos.

Otherwise, even though all power-gamers try to talk you into choosing another race than a human ... choose a race that you want to play or else you will end up with a group full of small, ugly gnomes with pointy ears and green, pointy hats...
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Southpaw Hey now, don't go picking on the Keebler Elves... =p
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @Southpaw
    Variety is the spice of life! I've always thought a party with a mix of Forgotten Realms races is more fun - possibly influenced by Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit and so on.

I can't imagine not having at least a couple of nonhumans in a party. That some of them get great saves and unique bonuses is just icing.
  • runninfool13runninfool13 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the responses. I think I will replace the archer with a swashbuckler. And I meant the jester instead of bard. I have had fun with their song.