Skip to content

Quest for a Katana

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited September 2013 in Archive (General Discussion)
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    lol

I dunno where u can find a katana anyway. Ur Charname is very similar to mine. I like it. :)

Half-Elf Fighter/Mage
    15, 17, 15, 18, 10, 13

I had scimitars instead of katana.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Oh, in that case, no. I used Twinkle one handed style so he can use a bow without having to switch weapons constantly.

I am using the same guy in BG 2, and he is slowly being transitioned into Dual-wielding Katana.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    If you follow the main quest you'll find at least one katana, hope that's not too much of a spoiler.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    That's a way to play!
    I won't tell you, where to find a katana then. Just that you should be able to find 2-3 non-magical ones even before Cloakwood.
    Southpaw said:

That's a way to play!
    I won't tell you, where to find a katana then. Just that you should be able to find 2-3 non-magical ones even before Cloakwood.

lol one of the major downsides of playing blind in ur first run is a horrible lack of efficiency with weapon proficiencies... I had planned to stick to scimitars until I stumbled into some very nice Katana in BG 2, and then suddenly had to make the decision to transition weapon tyle and style, which is taking AGES, given the precious few proficiency points you get... lol I have been carrying a certain Katana in my inventory for several chapters... I just hope I can use it before Throne of Bhaal! lol

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    I'd just keep 2 weapons. The second katana will show up sooner and later and imagine your joy, when your trusty katana from Droth finds a new sister.
    (Just mind you, some of the tougher encounters like Karoug or Aec'Letec - if you want to put up with them - will need different weapons than just a plain (normal or +1) Katana)
  • CherudekCherudek Member Posts: 73
    I'm pretty sure Aec'Letec is not immune to normal weapons. And he's definitely not immune to the katana +1. Are tanar'ri supposed to be?
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    For evil aligned fighter classes I have perfected a method of acquiring the katana of candle keep. First of all, you must start with a minimum of 150 gold or it wont work. You must find a way to murder Fuller for his 100 gold, plate mail, and +1 dagger without using anything but the stuff you find. Don't buy anything. Lastly you must find a way to ID the dagger so it can be sold, the mage in Obe's basement can do this for you. Complete all the quests and sell everything not bolted down and you will be able to buy the blade despite the reduced reputation tax.

I've done this a few times and I leave CK with the katana, a helmet, a suit of leather, zero gold, and a 4 rep. :)
    Cherudek said:

I'm pretty sure Aec'Letec is not immune to normal weapons. And he's definitely not immune to the katana +1. Are tanar'ri supposed to be?

...and I'm regrettably pretty sure, that my monk had to use a +2 Scimitar to attack him, because the normal fist (at lvl 8 counts as a normal weapon) did not work.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Southpaw said:

Cherudek said:

...and I'm regrettably pretty sure, that my monk had to use a +2 Scimitar to attack him, because the normal fist (at lvl 8 counts as a normal weapon) did not work.
    You'd be correct. Aec needs magical weapons to be hit.
    CamDawg said:

Southpaw said:

Cherudek said:

You'd be correct. Aec needs magical weapons to be hit.
    Makes you sad, that the monk class gets their fist upgraded to +1 only at level 9 = it's gimped during the whole BGEE. I punched Aec'Letec several times, but no effect.
    No wonder people dislike monks. And Rasaad.
    edited September 2013
  • CherudekCherudek Member Posts: 73
    Southpaw said:

tested it and you're right, the normal katana does not work. Somehow I never noticed that my off-hand weapon was ineffective against him. :P A +2 enchantment is not necessary, however.
    thespace said:

Karoug (sp?) will probably have to be taken "the old fashioned way", meaning the way that I originally had to take him the first time I fought him (with no weapons that seemed to be working)...and that's with Aganazzar's Scorcher & potions of flame breath.

Well, by the time I got there last time, Dorn was on lvl 7 and his THAC0 (buffed) was so low, that he did hit the furry, flea-ridden fanatic with a ferocious Bastard Sword (against lycanthropes) just as well.
    edited September 2013
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.