Skip to content

I "Like" the changes to the Like/Dislike feature.

13»

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305

Anonymity. English is so weird.

I know it's anonymity. Anonymousnessness just did sound a lot more chuckley than anonymity.
    Tanthalas said:

Yes, now I'll be able to see who keeps flagging Ward for every single thing.

You've got my back man! It's the... TROLL PATROL! Danananana.
    The problem with a disagree button and a flag button is there are people out there who like to STICK IT 2 you.

That doesn't mean we can't handle real criticism, just that when somebody starts going around being mean with the flag button it can hurt feelings.

Criticism, good. Flag, bad.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    There should be some sort of "report post to Moderator" button, though.
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    Razor said:

I have no idea how disagree was being abused but if it's gone it should be gone to everybody... And it makes it easier for people to speak their minds without fear of disagrees.

I still don't get why anyone should be afraid of disagrees. That means you can't take criticism, and if you can't take criticism you shouldn't be putting your opinion out there.

And
    Ward said:

The problem with a disagree button and a flag button is there are people out there who like to STICK IT 2 you.

So what? There are also people out there who might admire you and be biased toward you, too. Look at the Overhaul guys, they have the most points despite not even posting much; this is not because every post of theirs blows everyone's socks off (I would think) but because people are showing their appreciation for who they are and what they are doing. It's as much about popularity as of rating the content.

There is no perfect answer, but what is true is that we're unfairly representing one side of things right now, if someone wants to express disagreement.
    That doesn't mean we can't handle real criticism, just that when somebody starts going around being mean with the flag button it can hurt feelings.
    This is a joke to me. There's nothing that applies to a +1 disagree that doesn't also apply to a written rebuttal. Sure enough it's harder to be certain if the +1 disagree was due to you or to what you wrote--but if you're not certain, then why are you concerned about it?

Disagrees don't cancel out agrees, so i'm not sure why it matters. Having haters is also a marker of popularity, you know.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @caruga

Its nothing like that.

The problem was that after Vanilla forums upgraded to display who actually voted, people started creating dummy accounts for the sole purpose of spamming the Disagree button, which was simply ridiculous, and so now the Disagree button is gone.

People can still express their disagreement by posting their opinions. I don't think that when the developers look at requests that they just look at the votes, they read the posts.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Tanthalas said:

@caruga

Its nothing like that.

The problem was that after Vanilla forums upgraded to display who actually voted, people started creating dummy accounts for the sole purpose of spamming the Disagree button, which was simply ridiculous, and so now the Disagree button is gone.

People can still express their disagreement by posting their opinions. I don't think that when the developers look at requests that they just look at the votes, they read the posts.

Actually what I first started noticing is that a couple of guys went through my profile and disagreed with all 20 of my posts a long while back. This was a couple of people at least, or a couple of accounts.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I disagree!
    edited July 2012
    @caruga

What you say is that agreeing and disagreeing is a popularity contest. If that is the case, there should be no interactive buttons at all.

These buttons are available purely to record those for and those against whatever X post says, apparently to help the team find good thoughts. If they are being used for any other reason than to agree with what somebody is saying, or disagree with what somebody is saying, they are being abused.

This includes spamming the buttons, personal conflicts, popularity, etc.

Maybe in a community where perfect maturity and responsibility is not possible it is best left up to the team to decide.
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    Ward said:

@caruga

What you say is that agreeing and disagreeing is a popularity contest.

No, I did not.

• ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    I was a little disappointed when I saw the disagree button gone, but it seems that it was necessary to get rid of it. Even a week or two after the forum opened, there would be people that would join and then as soon as someone said something that they didn't like or disagreed with them in some way, they'd go through all of that person's posts systematically disagreeing with each one. This makes the button worthless as it skews the thing that it's meant to represent, so I think it's for the best that it's gone. Ideally, this community wouldn't include people that feel the need to spam others with disagrees/etc., but as that's what was happening, removing the button was the best call. Now you have to explain why you disagree, which can't really be spammed for the sake of discrediting someone (you have to explain why, so everyone can judge for themselves).

As for the "like" button, I like it. There were definitely posts where I felt that insightful and agree weren't proper responses, so I'm glad to see the like button added.
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    caruga said:

So what? There are also people out there who might admire you and be biased toward you, too. Look at the Overhaul guys, they have the most points despite not even posting much; this is not because every post of theirs blows everyone's socks off (I would think) but because people are showing their appreciation for who they are and what they are doing.

That, and they gave themselves a badge which gave them 1000 points to start with ;)