Skip to content

Arcade Games- Old and Obscure stuff

LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
Being as I am almost literally as old as the hills (if the hills are on the far side of 40), and back in the day, I was never really into console games (I had 2 cartridges for the Colecovision. Yeah, 2!), but I played a metric ton of Arcade games, and here are the oldest and most obscure I can remember, with Videos.

Battlezone- not obscure, but old.

Venture-Old *and* Obscure!

Star Trek Strategic Operations Simulator- I was there when they released the game and got a T-shirt at the Arcade!

Thayer's Quest-Remember Dragon's Lair? Like that.

Dragon's Lair- First game on Laser Disc

Satan's Hollow-Fight devils in Redneck Country!

The Journey Game- Based on the Band.

Trivial Pursuit- Based on the Board Game (being a history geek, I always played "Cleofactra")

Qix-Mark out areas and keep away from the Spark!

Phoenix- Fight against firebirds

Q*Bert- Play a little foul-mouthed creature and turn the blocks a different color. Keep away from enemies!

Burger Time- Make burgers by making ingredients fall. Keep away from hot dogs, and eggs.

What weird, old and obscure arcade games do you remember playing?
elminster[Deleted User]BelgarathMTH

Comments

• GaveGave Member Posts: 66
    Too many to recollect really :D.

This one stood out .. named Supaplex
    : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supaplex

Teflon
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Battlezone! i enjoyed that game as a kid along w/ asteroid, centipede, missile command, tempest.

also Commander Keen (although to be honest i only played that for the pong game that came with it), Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers: The Adventures in Nimnul's Castle (i can't believe i remember that one. had to do some google searching to find it), and Battle Chess (i liked the animations whenever you took a piece)
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Night_Watch I played the HELL out of Battlezone when I was a kid. Also Centipede. And here are some other old Arcade Games I played.

The Pit: Retrieve the diamonds before the robots get you or destroy your spaceship with their tank.

Food Fight: Eat the icecream before it melts or the chefs catch you. Use the piles of food as ammo to hit them.

Crystal Castles: Collect the gems, avoid enemies, defeat the witch.

Crazy Climber: Ascend without falling

Rally-X: Collect the flags, avoid the red cars

Rampage: As a monster, destroy the city without dying yourself.

Altered Beast: Zeus resurrects you to rescue his daughter. Unleash your inner beast to beat bosses.

Sinistar: BEWARE! I LIVE! RUN, COWARD! RUN, RUN, RUN! I HUNGER!

Paperboy: Deliver papers, break the windows of non-subscribers, try not to get hit!

DigDug: Kill monsters by exploding them with your air pump. Or drop rocks on them.
    Awong124
    Paperboy! i forgot about that one. i liked to get fancy and try to throw a newspaper while going off a ramp (i don't think it worked.) Rampage as well, although i played the World Tour version on the N64. Megarace! i like how they did the full motion video with the host (he was amusing from what i remember.) oh! G-Nome! mecha slaying awesomeness! (i think i'm starting to branch away from arcade games)
    side scroller beat 'em ups were fun (like the simpson's and ninja turtle, streets of rage) Striker's 1945 was my favourite of the vertical shooters, although Raptor: Call of the Shadows and Raiden are definitely up there as well. SkiFree was also a lot of fun, but then i discovered this a few months ago:image
    mind blown O.o
    Awong124
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Gave said:

Too many to recollect really :D.

This one stood out .. named Supaplex
    : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supaplex

I didn't expected to see that game mentioned in this forum.
    I still remember that boom sound when atomic stuff falls on my head.

@Night_Watch Skifree seems similar to the game "ski or die".
    @Teflon is that like 720°? "SKATE OR DIE!"
    Teflon
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited September 2013
    I spent way too many hours playing Bubble Bobble (Commodore Amiga version) when I was a little kid (like 7-8 years old):

Edit. It was a great game though.
    Post edited by Wilbur on
    Teflon
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited September 2013
    I was never into arcade games because it felt too expensive to feed money into the machines. It's kind of an irrational feeling because even playing an arcade game literally hundreds of times wouldn't amount to buying a console, and I had a console every generation since the SNES.

This doesn't really fit into the really old classic category, but the only arcade game I played maybe a couple dozen times was Ferrari F355 Challenge. In terms of in game features, there wasn't really anything to write home about. The game only featured one car (the Ferrari F355 Challenge), and you and all of the AI competitors used identical cars (other than color). And there were only I think 5 tracks to choose from.

It provided something I (at the time) didn't have at home. It had a steering wheel, manual gated shifter complete with clutch, and 3 monitors. If you wanted to use the gated shifter and clutch you had to choose the expert mode which disabled the traction control and ABS, which made it pretty challenging. It was also very challenging because you always started in last place, and the race only lasted 2 or 3 laps, if you're quick enough to not run out of time before the end. You had to drive pretty fast and pretty much make no major mistakes if you wanted to get to the end of the race before time ran out. I've never gotten 1st place in that game. I remember I was so happy that one time when I climbed my way up the field and finished the race 3rd at the Suzuka track.

I was kind of sad when they stopped making this game. The machine itself was also very high maintenance because of so many mechanical moving parts that have to take a lot of abuse, mostly the shifter. The arcades that had them didn't really take good care of them, and a lot of them didn't work very well after a while.

Now I have a full racing gaming rig at home with seat, steering wheel, and manual gated shifter, so there's no point for me to go out to play arcade racing games anymore.

(guy in the video is not me)
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited September 2013
    LadyRhian said:

Paperboy: Deliver papers, break the windows of non-subscribers, try not to get hit!

DigDug: Kill monsters by exploding them with your air pump. Or drop rocks on them.

Sonic Paperboy:

Sonic Dig Dug:
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Used to play this as a kid :) (like maybe 4 years old haha)

• rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    i fed many, many quarters into this game

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I saw Paperboy!
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Robotron 2084

Robocop

very fun--Wizard of Wor, including monsters which disappear and dramatic music

the quirky Bagman

and the best arcade game ever--Tron

• Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    I was obsessed with this for a time.:D
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2013
    Donkey Kong

Popeye

Asteroids

Tank

Galaga

Space Invaders

Joust

Kangaroo

Mouse Trap

I could probably come up with a dozen more of these. I think I spent half my high school and college years in arcades. Heck, I was even around for Pong. @LadyRhian, I think you and I are of similar age. ;)

EDIT: Almost forgot my all-time favorite: Arkanoid!

rexreg
  • BadmassBadmass Member Posts: 36
    R-Type
    BelgarathMTHrexreg
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Another thread that proves this forum is invaluable for my research purposes. Neat! :)
    BelgarathMTH
  • dwilliams1966dwilliams1966 Member Posts: 41
    I played most of these back in the day. Great thread.

You know you can still play these with MAME, right?
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited September 2013
    These were two of my favorites back in the arcade days:

RASTAN: Classic D&D/Conan barbarian warrior on a quest to slay a dragon (while fighting classic mythical monsters along the way)
    http://www.youtube.com/v/kFBs3X2LVAc?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0

THE LEGEND OF KAGE: I loved this game and its music. A short sword-wielding ninja with an unlimited supply of shuriken fighting rival ninjas and fire-breathing monks on the way to rescuing (yet another) princess. I always thought Kage was female, from the character's hair and clothing (I guess I was wrong all these years).
    http://www.youtube.com/v/vVhAlxIAuG8?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0
    Post edited by Mortianna on

BelgarathMTH
    @rexreg Pong! The First system I had played three built-in games. Pong, volleyball and a shoot the moving square dot game.
    elminster
  • BadmassBadmass Member Posts: 36
    I still love melting face in Pong.
    @LadyRhian...a cousin of mine owned it & i played it in...ummm...1977, i think...very hard to remember back that far...i think we did nothing but play Pong for 3 days...
    @LadyRhian, I had one of those consoles, too! I think it was called the "Odyssey". To play anything but Pong, you had to use scotch tape to attach a piece of colored plastic over your TV screen. (I'm not kidding.)
    @Belgarathmth Mine wasn't labeled in English. My Dad bought it in Chinatown. No box, no plastic, just a silver box that went on top of the TV and three, um, controllers. Two of them had a dial, which moved the bars on the screen up and down, and the third was a plastic gun for the shooting game.
    elminster

I really liked the music in this version of Tempest =)
    rexreg
    edited September 2013
    @LadyRhian, 0:05 seconds into this video shows the guy taping the plastic screen onto his Magnavox TV.

My mother had convinced my grandparents to buy her a Magnavox color TV shortly before I was born, in 1965. There was a whole Magnavox store at a local mall called Eastgate, in Chattanooga, TN, where they sold those big, cabinet, color TV's, which were a new thing in 1965, and that store, where once we went "just looking" during my early childhood, had the new Odyssey game console in there, with all kinds of display promotionals, just before Christmas of 1973 or so. I was about 7 years old, and she got it for me for that Christmas, or actually, she convinced my grandparents to get it for me.

That console was a huge part of my childhood, and I went from that, within a year, to wanting to go to Eastgate all the time to play pinball, Pong, and Tank, at an early arcade called "Games a la Mode", which, oddly, served ice cream in an arcade containing all the latest gaming technology of the time, dominated, of course, by pinball machines, but, they also had race car games and all the latest video game technology (of which Pong and Tank were the vanguards.)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Magnus_Grelich
    @Belgarathmth Nope that isn't the one I had. Mine had white and gray controllers. Except the gun was black and brown.