Skip to content

Sarevok's Glowing Eyes

I'm not sure if this has been a topic beforehand or if it is a well known thing, but could anyone explain why his eyes glow?

So far I've come to a few conclusions on why his eyes glow and how it affected him in BG1...

He may be an Aasimar, descendant of a god/deity which have similar attributes. Even though he loses most of his Bhaalspawn essence in Throne of Bhaal, he is technically still a child of Bhaal. As far as how Sarevok became so praised in Baldur's Gate among the nobles, considering he has ridiculously evil armour and burning bright eyes...I suspect there was some sort of illusion based magic around him, either from an item, his armour or even Winski Perorate himself, meaning that only CHARNAME and/or those who have seen his true form can see him for who he truly is.

If there's any actual lore on this, I would like to know :D

Comments

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ...it's probably due to his unnerving addiction to Bhaalspawn powers. Or meth.
    But yeah...the fact that they are praising him during the coronation and he stands there looking like every other super-villain and nobody bats an eye is ... strange.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    well sarevok died in Baldur's gate and you brought him back to life, so really, he is kind of a wraith sort of thing, I think Anomen says something on the lines of; not truly alive or dead, and of coarse its sarevok, they had to make him look badass, he would be twice as lame if his eyes didn't glow ( his CHA would drop down to 10 no doubt :) )
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    sarevok57 said:

well sarevok died in Baldur's gate and you brought him back to life, so really, he is kind of a wraith sort of thing, I think Anomen says something on the lines of; not truly alive or dead, and of coarse its sarevok, they had to make him look badass, he would be twice as lame if his eyes didn't glow ( his CHA would drop down to 10 no doubt :) )

I think OP is refering to BG1, where he is depicted as having glowing eyes - before any death or simmilar.

He might not have permanently glowing eyes, and maybe he dons his armor in public during the seremony to mark his readiness(eagerness) for war against Amn?
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    here is a reason for you depending if your good or evil

if your good: he has glowing eyes because hes the baddie he -has- to look threatening

if your evil: he has glowing eyes because hes badass, kill him and your eyes might glow...go ahead and try
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Well pretty much because the illustrator thought it looked cool I suppose...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EntropyXII

I like the idea of it being to do with him being a Deathbringer. I don't think it would be anything to do with channeling his Bhaalspawn powers because the other Bhaalspawn, most predominantly, Yaga-Shura, had enough Bhaalspawn power to live with a seperate heart, yet didn't have glowing eyes.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I always wondered how he won over the hearts of the wealthy people of baldurs gate. Hs helmet and eyes alone are too sinister for the average Nobel!
  • XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
    Too much crystal Pepsi will do that to you.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    I just thought he could turn em off and on at will. On when he's gotta slap some authority around, and off when he's getting his nobility thing on. It's not like all bhaalspawn abilities are permanent. You do choose when and when not to turn into the slayer.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2013

@elminster: I think you've just cracked the whole story wiiiide open. I mean BHAAL, come ON! It all makes sense now! The Slayer is totally an Unas, too!

Not sure how the whole turning to dust thing works. Must just be the clone breaking down upon death :)

That or its a PR firm idea. "Well you know Sarevok I think you'd look a lot more menacing if you just flashed those eyes of yours once and awhile. Especially when killing your enemies."
    edited September 2013
    Saradas said:

Oh this is a easy one. IDDQD

(just so its easier to see)
  • SaradasSaradas Member Posts: 148
    lol thank you Elm, not sure if this forum uses html, bbcode or what
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    elminster said:

He's a Goa'uld.

WTB Teal'c NPC.
    Saradas said:

lol thank you Elm, not sure if this forum uses html, bbcode or what

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/161/how-to-format-your-posts/p1

:)
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    It's never answered anywhere in the games... But I think the more important is issue is not why he has glowing eyes... But can he turn the glow off... I mean, every time you see him, he has glowing eyes and even when an NPC in ToB he has them... It leads me to think they're just constantly glowing even in his Koveras disguise and he's just the supreme master of bluffing and disguise.
  • I've just realised something LITERALLY staring me in the face...

The symbol of Bhaal, its eyes glow. Therefore it must be a Bhaalspawn trait but singular only to Sarevok :D
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

I'm not sure if this has been a topic beforehand or if it is a well known thing, but could anyone explain why his eyes glow?

So far I've come to a few conclusions on why his eyes glow and how it affected him in BG1...

He may be an Aasimar, descendant of a god/deity which have similar attributes. Even though he loses most of his Bhaalspawn essence in Throne of Bhaal, he is technically still a child of Bhaal. As far as how Sarevok became so praised in Baldur's Gate among the nobles, considering he has ridiculously evil armour and burning bright eyes...I suspect there was some sort of illusion based magic around him, either from an item, his armour or even Winski Perorate himself, meaning that only CHARNAME and/or those who have seen his true form can see him for who he truly is.

If there's any actual lore on this, I would like to know :D

It looks kewl. Thats it.
  • XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
    Guys, I got it. He must be wearing the ultimate artifact: the Ring of Infravision!
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Ring of Infravision != Ring of Glaring Searchlights

I'm surprised Sarevok is the one with glowing eyes and not CHARNAME. Would be really handy to have that while reading all those Candlekeep books at night.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    edited September 2013
    Maybe Sarevok's eyes are a result of Xzar's early experiments with the elves' infravision. They could have worked together for a time before the arrival of Charname. We may never know the truth now because of those silly Harpers O.o