Skip to content

Morality: Action Vs. Inaction

BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
kamuizin said:

I find funny these kind of debates, so let me left here a question to be answered by anyone who want:

You know that a man, a good man, with family and friends, will in the future kill a hundred other good persons. You're presented with this knowledge and a chance to kill this man before all that happens. What would you do? What would be the good thing to do? What would be the lawful good thing to do?

Just remember that with the knowledge and by inactivity, you're so guilty of the act as it's perpetrator.

@kamuizin - Who asked for an interesting, but totally off-topic moral debate.

Lemmie take this up a notch and respond to your question with a question.

Someone existing outside spacetime approaches you with opportunity to kill the man in your example. If you do so, these hundreds of good people get to live. However, one of these good people he kills ends up creating a new form of fusion providing clean and safe energy for the world and does so with good intent. However, he creates this energy immediately before a massive war breaks out and as a result, the energy he created with the purist intent is weaponized and leads to the development of a weapon which destroys the planet.

IF you choose to let these hundred good people die he presents the following alternative scenario. Because the man previously mentioned dies the energy source which would destroy mankind is still created, but only a year after the mentioned war by someone intending to weaponize it. He pursues this weapon with great zeal and vigor but isn't as competent in the design. As a result, during one of his experiments, he makes a mistake causing but a small amount of energy (far less than in a completed weapon) to be mishandled and as a result, destroys hundreds of miles of land rather than the entire planet. After seeing this, mankind realizes that turning such power into a weapon would assure the destruction of humanity and chooses not to weaponize this energy source thereby saving every living being on the planet from extinction.

It is then asked again, will you kill this man to save hundreds?

In response, my idea of morality requires foresight to adequately make a decision. I.e. making a decision based on the best information at the time which extends into as many post-consequences as possible. The real problem I see here is, how far do you carry that knowledge out as being morally actionable, because at some point you DO have knowledge but its purely hypothetical. So is it still "good" to act on something not knowing the full extent of the consequences? Or do we accept that sometimes doing the "good" thing is an unintentional evil?

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Context is everything
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Well, that's my whole point no? Not your conclusion but your question.

Moral is what the outside world expect from you, it doesn't define good or evil as in drow society for example is expected that a priest of lolth to perform ritual sacrifices. There, kill someone in sacrifice is morally correct.

To every act there's a consequence and what define you as good or evil isn't the label that other people put on you, but your true intent.

You bring in your question a concept of total oblivion. Atm as humans we didn't identified inteligent life outside earth (what obvious exist, from a mathematical point of view the universe is infinite and we already have 1 example of inteligent life, so finite inteligence into an infinite universe is ... a bit stupid). Based on the previous concept, our world atm resume to the existence of our planet.

Based on the infos above, both actions would be good. Kill the man to avoid the total oblivion of our existence is a good act, the person would have to endure the death of that innocent knowing that he saved the future of his specie. Do not kill the man is also valid as good, he follow his ethics and decide to not play god, if that will result in the end of humankind, only time will provide as by a rule, no future result is 100% accurate but only a possibility.

BUT also, both actions can be evil, it's all based on what was the intent of the guy who killed or didn't killed the innocent man.

• BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Oh wow, this sounds like a debate from one of my college ethics classes from what seems like an eternity ago. xD

Are you bringing up the heated argument of moral relativism vs. moral absolutism as a moral standard? Basically its the belief that "Right and wrong / good and evil" (I think its both, its been awhile) are determined by the tenants of a society rather than the perspective of an individual or the person existing outside of it. Then you have moral absolutism which is exactly what it sounds like. (I'm not trying to downtalk you either btw since I think its totally feasible you have heard or at least understand these perspective, its just making it easier for me to line my response up.)

I think intent is important, but not AS important as the actual action. Intent is well and good, but if you have an evil or good intention you aren't ACTUALLY impacting others - based on pure intent your morality exists in an existential vacuum. I think you're intent can intrinsically make you a good or bad person but its what you do which makes you externally good or bad.

So to use the drow priest, that person would maybe be intrinsically good as they want to do something they perceive as beneficial to their society because they want to help...but in reality a society where killing someone who could be beneficial to the society is warped to be "helpful" is actually evil. So objectionably, the person is wrong. Its why I'm such a big fan of Nietzsche who I think was trying to get people in line with the idea of think for yourself in moral decision making and don't stick to cultural norms. That isn't to say you shouldn't consult others...but I think the process of consulting others in your own moral views which allows you to establish a set of morals which are neither conformist nor purely anarchically generated - and its that process which helps you to better align your intentions with your actual actions.

So with the killing the man example...

Initially - Killing would be Good, but evil
    With Oblivion - Killing would be evil or good based on the intention (are you trying to just save yourself or are you doing something for the sake of all life and not just your own?), but right.

In both cases your intent is misaligned with your actions...but you can't really do anything about that one way or the other so are we just supposed to say everyone is evil? That seems...off.

Anyway, that's my buck-oh-five and not by any means some sort of absolute truth.
    It's based on the perspective of reality @Battlehamster. I tend to separate the society vision from my ethic views. I try to not judge story, what is wrong today was legit in the past. If the past wrong, so who are we to judge that?

When i speak of intent, i don't speak of it based on moral, in fact you can say i'm an amoral person, i don't follow society rules for the sake of society, but only to avoid the penalities. In my timelife i adquired some degree of knowledge, and based on that, on my life, on my environment and on my psychological tendencies i formed a mind of my own. I base my moral choices on that.

Because of this habit of mine in perceive everything around me without the society moralism i tend to behave in the same way.

It's funny that this behavior of mine that some times put my perceptions against the rules of my society (still as an attorney i tend to respect that to avoid retribution), is officialy taken as a rule in the criminal laws of my country, where we adopt the theory of intent instead of punish in reason of the result only.

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited September 2013
    This is like Minority Report, punishing someone for crimes before they commit them. First I'd have to know whether or not I will be arrested and tried for murder if I were to kill this man. Then, since I am to know everything that will unfold due to my action or inaction, I will simply do the one that results in less deaths. In this case, I think you made it too obvious that not killing him will be best, because killing him results in blowing up the earth.
    @awong124

There are actually 2 questions:

1.) In the first question you do NOT know about the consequences and are asked what you would do. Mankind would still ultimately be destroyed, but at the time - you don't know this.
    2.) In the second one you are given the same action but all of the consequences associated with your actions leading to the destruction of mankind.

Also, it is assumed there are absolutely no consequences for you killing this man, only the consequences of his life and/or death.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    You know, the situation is immoral to begin with. The Earth is overpopulated, thus one death is as insignificant as a hundred of deaths is. To make an actual difference on a holistic scale, millions of organisms would need to die. So I'd probably just restart flood the Earth. If restarting flooding doesn't seem to fix the problem, I'd start browsing the universe for a solution.
    So that's what I would do. And that is what I normally do when some info about the future leaks out and someone want to use it.
    Of course I am good in no way whatsoever and, theoretically, the good thing to do would be to do what is good. And this depends entirely on the viewpoint. E.g a sane naturalistic good person would let nature handle it, for their own good. Then, again, a manic altruistic good person would sacrifice themselves to a stupid cause (either 'good of family' - not killing, or 'good of population' - killing) not even imagining any possible consequences, as it happened many times already. And what would lawful stupid good do? Probably fail to cast 'Detect Evil' (as evil does not exist; there is only good, or 1, and the absence of good, or 0, and that is why humans use mathematics and not more complex cosmographical systems) and then consult their direct spiritual superior (these guys are always disguised oppressors) and do whatever they say, as in 'There are children dying there! Hundreds of poor civilians slaughtered by a dictator! If we bombard the dictator, we might still get some frags even though the fun is nearly over! Now get your sorry ass outta here, go to war and bring me something caloric on your way back!'
    Somesuch. Now hand over that honoris causa PhD in philosophy and begone.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2013
    Meh, never mind. I made this post as a silly self-indulgence. And now, I have deleted it as the silly self-indulgence it was.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    edited September 2013
    "Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men." -Boondock Saints

this is one of them scruples questions, ain't it? =p
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/151771/scruples
    Post edited by Night_Watch on
    God said:

Now hand over that honoris causa PhD in philosophy and begone.

First off, its a bachelors and I've been trying to get rid of the freaking thing since I got it - they won't take it back, I've tried to return it as I don't really want it but discovered this only 2 classes away from obtaining it.

As for the insanely long reply, let me see if I can briefly recap it...Basically morality exists purely according to the perspective of one's own unique reality which is entirely circumstantial. So we should throw out logical structure (which I am behind) when it comes to morality since its all subjective and circumstantial anyways and trying to use logic only results in 1 or 0.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I believe ethicists(60% sure this it a real thing) consider the option of less deaths the more ethical solution, something like this:
    You can kill a perfectly healthy man to steal his organs and save 4 people, or you can not, and 4 people will die, and one will live. The "correct answer is to kill the person, and save the 4, because more people are saved.now, don't anyone go and say "well, we all die anyway, so....." Acknowledging this fact This pretty much abolishes any reason to have an ethical debate concerning death ethics, and reality is subjective, because I say it is(don't get me started on this) so the correct option with this rational will be inactivity, so that the human race survives.
    I personally, believe that we should all save our efforts and just lay down and die, so that cats can finally have their go at ruling the world proper, instead of manipulating us humans.
    Sir, you were CLEARLY not around during 8000 B.C. Egypt to see the travesties committed by our then feline overlords. Terrible, terrible times. Never. Again.

To be honest I've always found examples like that ridiculous. But they tend to be good because you look at it and go "Well this is ridiculous!". I agree its ludicrous but my point is trying to figure out why it is because some people need a rationalization of freaking everything, which is rather silly when you realize that with enough time and effort anything can be rationalized.
    meagloth said:

You can kill a perfectly healthy man to steal his organs and save 4 people, or you can not, and 4 people will die, and one will live. The "correct answer is to kill the person, and save the 4, because more people are saved.

This lead to the more monstruous and tiranny acts of humankind, i prefer an evil person than an good person with this monstruous kind of mind.
    Me to. This is not suppose to be a real situation, but make a point. If people actually did this humankind would be extinct in a month.
    @battlehamster: I'm sure cats have changed for the better since then. And we wouldn't have to worry about anyway, we'd all be dead.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Make the circumstances specific and bizarre enough and you can make anyone the bad guy. Is there really a point in debating ethics if the example is one where the subject is fucked no matter what he does? Asking what the LG answer is to a question that can only be answered by murdering a bunch of people is like asking someone whether they'd prefer to have aids or cancer. And if you don't pick one, your mom dies.

Sometimes when you try to be nice, you accidentally mess up. You give a depressed friend flowers, turns out she's allergic and ends up in the hospital. You help a charismatic leader patch up his impoverised country, turns out he's a megalomaniac who sets people on fire just so he can sleep at night. Lack of future knowledge is not evil.

Hell, as far as I'm concerned, Good and Evil should be kept to the books. Aside from everyone having different standards, people also have inherently different standards between themselves and everyone else. Stalin believed he was doing his country a favor by having a brutal dictatorship that sent one half of the country to work themselves to death in Siberia so the other half could starve. The Crusades believed they were on a mission from God and doing good work in carving a bloody swath through Europe. Most serial killers believe they only kill people who deserve it, meaning they themselves are not evil.
    What's the point of labelling any of these people good or evil when the labels themselves have no inherent value because they're different to anyone?
    You can't put a price on a thing without anyone knowing what currency you're using. And the lines are too vague to declare one or the other Absolute Truth.

I'm sorry, I'm not much of a philosophical person.
    @Drugar, well... Doesn't have a genie that does exactly that at the begin of Irenicus dungeon with us? Of course Minsc has the best answer for that but then the point is what main char would do!
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    There is a problem of cause and effect with these scenarios.

If you kill a man, you are commiting murder. But murder is bad.

However, if you don't you don't he's going to kill other people. Allowing murder is bad.

But why is this preordained? Why not instead of killing the guy, you just stop him from killing people. Lock him up or prevent the deaths in another way. If someone is somehow mystically aware that a person is going to kill a bunch of people, then I'd suggest reporting it or if that fails doing something about it short of murdering the person. There is no guarantee that this guy will kill other people other than you saying so.

Drugar said:

Make the circumstances specific and bizarre enough and you can make anyone the bad guy. Is there really a point in debating ethics if the example is one where the subject is fucked no matter what he does? Asking what the LG answer is to a question that can only be answered by murdering a bunch of people is like asking someone whether they'd prefer to have aids or cancer. And if you don't pick one, your mom dies.

Sometimes when you try to be nice, you accidentally mess up. You give a depressed friend flowers, turns out she's allergic and ends up in the hospital. You help a charismatic leader patch up his impoverised country, turns out he's a megalomaniac who sets people on fire just so he can sleep at night. Lack of future knowledge is not evil.

Hell, as far as I'm concerned, Good and Evil should be kept to the books. Aside from everyone having different standards, people also have inherently different standards between themselves and everyone else. Stalin believed he was doing his country a favor by having a brutal dictatorship that sent one half of the country to work themselves to death in Siberia so the other half could starve. The Crusades believed they were on a mission from God and doing good work in carving a bloody swath through Europe. Most serial killers believe they only kill people who deserve it, meaning they themselves are not evil.
    What's the point of labelling any of these people good or evil when the labels themselves have no inherent value because they're different to anyone?
    You can't put a price on a thing without anyone knowing what currency you're using. And the lines are too vague to declare one or the other Absolute Truth.

I'm sorry, I'm not much of a philosophical person.

And yet, still better than a vast majority of the garbage I heard in school. I totally agree with you btw. It (ethics) is one of those things that is totally subjective and trying to view it objectively is hard, if not altogether pointless and counter-productive. At the same time we all have to interact with one another so while we can't have any sort of absolute truth by any means, we still need to establish some sort of relative truth that lets us freely interact with the world but does so in such a way we don't have rampant anarchy where I can do whatever I want as long as I can rationalize it, which is the problem.

Basically, what is it that will allow you to put an assortment of people into a room without having one person say their subjective reality is better, but to get there they have to kill everyone else in the room? If we define too little - anyone can do as they please. If we define too much - anyone can do as they please as long as they can rationalize it.
    Similiar subjects to this scenario include the real world situations such as waterboarding and prisoners being held indefinitely in secret prisions such as guantanamo bay.

What price would you pay for security?

Would you take off your shoes for an airport scanner? Would you allow yourself, others, kids to be scanned naked so that you can be checked for bombs? Would you capture and torture people you suspect might do something bad later? Would you hold them indefinitely without trial?

These are slippery slopes my friends....
    edited September 2013

Similiar subjects to this scenario include the real world situations such as waterboarding and prisoners being held indefinitely in secret prisions such as guantanamo bay.

What price would you pay for security?

Would you take off your shoes for an airport scanner? Would you allow yourself, others, kids to be scanned naked so that you can be checked for bombs? Would you capture and torture people you suspect might do something bad later? Would you hold them indefinitely without trial?

It easy to pay the price when who is paying isn't the same person who get the security :)! I don't think Guantanamo to be a best example for this discussion, specially when that prision make the USA a terrorist country from a human rights point of view.

However the hipotetic situations aren't the main issue, the importance in in the individual answer, it's like criminal law class examples, they're always crazy cos the example isn't important, how people deal with them that is.
    edited September 2013

Something often overlooked though is that slippery slopes go both ways. I can easily flip that argument on its head and say your argument is a slippery slope leading to a society which doesn't enforce any action with a consequence. Would you suggest not perforating a person's privacy in their vehicle if they are speeding and endangering others? Would you suggest we don't repress people (which has been the purpose of EVERY government in existence btw) AT ALL and allow them to take whatever action they deem necessary if they feel their rights are infringed? I'm not saying Guantanamo is right or wrong (as that's a tangential time bomb I'd like to avoid to keep the discussion productive) all I'm saying is that the same argument that you can use against Guantanamo - I can turn right around and use almost the exact same logic to support the inverse of your point.

If one side is slippery, so is the other. Then again, me being an anti-extremist I tend to have conflicts with both an absolute police state as well a total anarchy. How can you say a state where your every action is judged by a state is any better or worse than a state where any given action is judged by every individual? The problem with using a slippery slope argument is that you lose your footing to ANY point and the only "right" decision it leads to is ultimately inaction, which I'm pretty sure appeals to nobody or a very, very select minority. The real problem (in my totally subjective opinion) is that we need more balance in our society which tends towards extremes and polarities rather than unification and compromises.

That's right - You guys really need to pay more attention to druids. They aren't all a bunch of tree-loving hippies.
    Post edited by Battlehamster on
    @Battlehamster I agree. Anarchy vs Law. Chaos vs. Order. Good vs. Evil.

The rights of society vs. the rights of the individual.

Middle ground can be exceptionally hard to pin down. Middle ground is just that - a subjectively defined line or someone's opinion. This can be "commonly accepted" or not and can change over time. 1950s values are not values that we hold today necessarily. Common sense isn't common as the saying goes.

How much torture is acceptable in the name of freedom? none? some? It's a slippery slope both directions.

• alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    Just want to drop in my 2 cents: "anarchy" is not a synonym of "chaos", neither the concept of anarchy goes against the idea of having laws.

Anarchy means "no masters", not "no laws". It means everyone (anyone who cares, at least) gets to have a saying in what the laws should be. It means participation instead of delegation.
    "a situation of confusion and wild behavior in which the people in a country, group, organization, etc., are not controlled by rules or laws " -Merriam-Webster Online
    @smeagolheart
    Yes, I know what's the dictionary definition of anarchy. I wanted to express what it means on a deeper level, for someone who is an anarchist at least.

Although the bit on the "no masters" vs "no laws" is etymologically accurate :)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Wasn't there a movie with Tom Cruise about punishing people because a futuristic psychic hooked to a computer network said they were *going* to commit a crime? And it made points about free will and how messed up it is to punish somebody based on a prediction of the future, when the network suddenly marked Tom Cruise's character as a future murderer. Turned out the whole thing was massively corrupt, of course.
    edited September 2013
    @belgarathmth
    It's Minority Report.
    But I think that system wasn't corrupt, just massively flawed by ignoring the fact that knowing the future beforehand means it can be changed.
    alnair said:

@belgarathmth
    It's Minority Report.
    But I think that system wasn't corrupt, just massively flawed by ignoring the fact that knowing the future beforehand means it can be changed.

And that's the problem with this "Do you kill the murderer before he kills a bunch of people" type arguments. Why not change the future instead of KILLING somebody. Encourage the murderer to go to art school instead, make sure it happens and nobody has to die
    Or just stick him in a closet (one of my favourite episodes!).