Skip to content

question about recruiting Dorn... (so spoilers for Dorn, obviously :)

Do I have to see/talk to Dorn in Friendly Arms Inn to trigger his appearance north of Nashkeel?
My evil assassin doesn't care about meeting the dead man's old friends, and would gladly go immediately south with his new bestest friends, Xzar and Monty, to investigate the mines. However it would be no good if he didn't meet the ass-kicking halforc on his way there.
So what's the word of the wise? Does Dorn appear even if I didn't run into him at the inn earlier?

Comments

• DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    No, you have to talk to him in FAI first
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    I'm pretty sure there is a random chance his encounter may trigger without having talked to him. However if you do, there is a 100% guarantee the random encounter will trigger.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I'm pretty sure you need to talk to him first. It's just a very short dialogue and you can just immediately leave FAI and be on your way.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Aww, that's too bad. :(
    Different question then - So far I always had the 'recruiting encounter' before entering the Nashkeel for the first time.
    But what would happen if I went to Nashkeel immediately after meeting Xzar&Monty, cleared the mine, and then talked to Dorn for the first time at the inn? Would his encounter trigger on the road between any random locations, or would I have to travel back south again?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    He won't appear before talking to him. I *think* he'll appear the first time you travel from Nashkel to Mines, but it's also possible he just remains in the FAI or disappears.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    after to talk to dorn, it doesn't matter what area you leave from, if your destination is nashkeil mines, you will be way laid by enemies and must defend yourself, and mr dorny will pop in, sha-zam
    So not only I have to talk to him first in the inn, but I also have to travel to one specific location thereafter to get him? That's somewhat inconvenient. :/ I think I'll just cheat and skip to FAI through the console to get that convo out of the way, and pretend it never happened. Or maybe that Norman had a prophetic dream about meeting a juicy hunk of a halforc. :P
    ...the clua works with BGEE, right?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Syntia13 said:

the clua works with BGEE, right?

Yes, but you have to add

'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1',

to your baldur.ini first.

Then you can move inside the FAI with

CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("AR2301")

@Erg Thank you, kind Sir! I'm going to use that information really soon. :)

Another Dorn question - from a different thread I learnt that if you finish Nashkel Mines quest before speaking to Jaheira and Khalid, they will disappear from FAI and you'll never see them again (or, from PC's perspective, ever).
    Is the same true for Dorn? I have a vague idea for a playthrough were I recruit him on my way to Peldvale, and I'd rather not have him disappear on me.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    The OP's Assassin really wants to go north first anyway. Otherwise, how does he pick up the delectable Viconia?
    @the_spyder
    The OP's Assassin really couldn't care less about the drow wench, he wants to pick up the mouth-watering hunk of a half-orc, thank you very much. :P

Now, the OP's jester, he's still torn between Vic and Neera, - but he also wants an unstoppable tank to storm the bandits' camp.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Choosing between Viconia and Neera is basically choosing whether you want your horrible death to be intentional or accidental.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    At least with intentional death you have a good reason to haunt someone, and Viconia lives a long time.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I think haunting a powerful cleric would probably end badly for the ghost.

You'd end up dominated even more than you were in life.