Skip to content

I'm Holding it for a Friend.

ICNICN Member Posts: 61
One thing that I never liked about BG2 was that some of the companions would have unique and personal items, but due to the nature of the game those items would then be dumped in the sewer because something better came along. So I'd propose that, in the Enhanced Edition, Cromwell or Cespenar be given recipes to upgrade those companion items as well, to keep them as a more viable alternative.

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Specially if they're not removible (except edwin's necklace that is already too much overpowered).
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yeah, I'd support this. I could go on a long rant about the very nature of loot in RPGs, but suffice to say I dislike when games implicitly support chucking your grandfather's sword (for example) just because the sword you just found on the floor has more pluses.
  • AprilApril Member Posts: 39
    http://weidu.org/item.html or more specifically :

Corthala Family Armor +
    Scroll of Protection From Magic +
    Shadow Dragon Armor +
    10,000 gp =
    Corthala Family Armor
    50% res to fire/acid/magic damage, immunity to
    charm, non-detection, AC 0.

and similar recipes for the other npc items.

That is, this is easily added (and really is already added) by a mod.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    @April I think I've used that mod before and most of the items where incredibly OP.
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    edited September 2013
    @dib Even for TOB?

@CamDawg @LiamEsler Is this one of the mods that should be working with BG2:EE from day 0?
    Even for ToB @Alnair. But some items as Nalia family ring that are irremovible can't be upgrade this way. and an irremovible ring in the finger of a mage is a real big deal, specially when this mage/thief isn't so good and could be improved by the use of thief rings or mage rings.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    edited September 2013
    alnair said:

@dib Even for TOB?

@CamDawg @LiamEsler Is this one of the mods that should be working with BG2:EE from day 0?

From the Item Upgrade readme (abridged):

Version 40: (updated by CamDawg)
    [massive list of fixes]
    * Future-proofed descriptions for BG2EE

It'll need a new copy of WeiDU dropped in (Wisp's v232, soon to be released) but I went ahead and made the code updates when I went through it in July.

• kamuizin said:

Even for ToB @Alnair. But some items as Nalia family ring that are irremovible can't be upgrade this way. and an irremovible ring in the finger of a mage is a real big deal, specially when this mage/thief isn't so good and could be improved by the use of thief rings or mage rings.

Simple fix: Additional NPC quests whose reward is an automatic item upgrade (no item removal needed)

kamuizin said:

Simple fix: Additional NPC quests whose reward is an automatic item upgrade (no item removal needed)
    I like the idea but i don't know if i can agree or no, i'm not a coder to know if something like this is simple or not.
  • ICNICN Member Posts: 61
    @CamDawg Well that should work, though I do think it would be nice to be able to get the feature as part of the vanilla game instead of a mod.
    While I seem to have become the de facto maintainer of Item Upgrade, it's not something I'd like to see incorporated into the game by default. Wes balanced the items under the assumption that something like Tactics would be installed, resulting in items which are very overpowered for a standard BGII game.
    But being the maintainer of the IU mod, do you think to be possible inside the mod to make a code allowing bind items to be upgraded @CamDawg?
    Oh, I see, I misunderstood the question. There are really only two undroppable items in BG2, and one of them (Edwin's Amulet) is already ludicrously overpowered. Nalia's ring could stand a bump, but I'm a little loathe to add new stuff to what I still view as Wes' mod.
    3 with Boo, but then boo don't need an upgrade, boo is already strong enouth being boo!! If you don't want to make this inside the Item Upgrade mod, maybe this could come as an add inside other of your mods @CamDawg. The tweak pack, or SCS maybe. UI isn't entitled to be the only mod to work upgrades in items neither all upgrades must be done with Cromwell.

Just think that some upgrade in Nalia could make people opt for her more often, she's a bit of an second class option in Baldur's Gate, almost an step for Imoem when we don't use Yoshimo.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    If one were to upgrade Nalia's ring, I'd recommend giving it a bonus to her Find Traps and Open Lock skills. The reason Nalia's such an obvious step down from Imoen isn't that her ring slot is full (her ring is really pretty good, although it's not optimal for a mage), but that her thief skills are low enough to be unreliable in the two must-have areas.
    An upgrade with a back history would be nice, but this can't even be needed, just make a level check or chapter check and give the upgrade after that and we're good. a nice upgrade would be make the ring able to be removed also, that alone is already a lot.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    CamDawg said:

Oh, I see, I misunderstood the question. There are really only two undroppable items in BG2, and one of them (Edwin's Amulet) is already ludicrously overpowered. Nalia's ring could stand a bump, but I'm a little loathe to add new stuff to what I still view as Wes' mod.

You forgot Boo, who clearly ought to be able to cast "Enchanted Weapon" six times per day based on in-game dialog.
    speaking about item dialogues, no way to improve Lilacor to have more banters with the NPCs? If that's a closed option, maybe some banters with the new NPCs? Lilacor speaking with Dorn could lead to some funny dialogues, just some fast examples that comes to mind:

- "shut up piece of scarp, don't presume to lecture me and just make what you're made to do. If you insist in push these useless talks anymore i will shove you in the next dead orc's ass that we find!"

- (lilacor faking Dorn's patron voice): Dorn i have a mission for you and you must do it now!!
    - (Dorn) Yes master.
    - (lilacor faking Dorn's patron voice) I need you to find a way to release the being inside of a powerful ancient artifact!!
    - (Dorn) How do i do that master.
    - (lilacor faking Dorn's patron voice) First of all take the scentient sword in your possession to...
    - (Dorn) So you dared to fool me!! I will kill you!!
    - (lilacor) i really don't see how you would possibility do that
    - (Dorn) maybe not, but the fishermans on the bridge would benefit much from a new knife to bucher fish.
    - (Lilacor) owww man, stop being so sensitive, it was just a prank!!