Skip to content

more class options for (old) npcs?

earnestearnest Member Posts: 10
I don't know if this has been brought up before but I think it would be a nice feature if the npcs had more than their basic class option on recruitment. Nothing outrageous, but whatever fits into their character and dialogue. Viconia could have the option of starting as a cleric/thief for instance, or Jaheira as a single class druid.

Just a small tweak that would add some customization and longevity (or even depth) to the game.
Post edited by earnest on

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Personally, I do wish they add some kind of option for us to change the class of the recruitable NPCs. Not sure if that is a possibility though.
  • earnestearnest Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2012
    Nice to know I'm not alone. Because of contractual obligations/restrictions then?

Still, I was actually musing over this, considering who would fit as what when it dawned on me that some of these characters might feel dated with the (engine-) upgrade. Is there any hope of aligning (or adding the option of aligning, as per the suggestion above) some of the old npcs with the new engine? By this I mean adding kits.

Some npcs could certainly do with an upgrade both from a role play and a game play perspective, yet at the same time I am loathe to see a change in others; shar'teel for instance is most definitely a plain fighter, just as minsc is a ranger. Kivan however, could (finally!) be an archer.

Thoughts?
    @earnest

My view on this is that they could allow this kit swapping thing as an option. So we could change any of the NPCs with a base class (Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, etc) to one of the kits for the class.
    edited July 2012
    @Tanthalas
    I wouldn't mind. Still, if someone is willing to stretch that far it would make more sense to have one or a few predetermined choices to keep everything within acceptable bounds. Adjantis might do as a cavalier for instance, but hardly an inquisitor; Garrick could be a skald or jester, but no blade. The best example is perhaps Viconia who makes perfect sense as a cleric/thief and would make an acceptable cleric/mage but all cleric kits are clearly out of the question. Similar arguments could be made for most other npcs.

(Still, if someone is actually considering this; anything is better than nothing!)
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Level 1 Npcs will solve all of those issues. Just need to make sure it is a viable option with BGEE. Xan the sorceror, Tiax the Strifeleader, Viconia the Nightcloak, Montaron the Assassin etc :) those are some of the classes I have used in the past.
    edited July 2012
    @IchigoRXC
    I suppose... I'd rather see these things catered to in the game proper though. Not everyone uses mods and there is always the risk of compatibility issues (and breaking immersion because something is off sync or just off can kill an entire game!). Besides, I dislike the idea of a skeleton game with mods being recommended (even mandatory) for a good experience.

I didn't mean to bash you or anything by the by; it's a good suggestion. I might have to go with it if nothing better crops up :)
    I would hardly call BG a skeleton of a game, and no worries i took no offence. I do aggree that having some of these changes without mod's would be nice, but there are contractual limitations on changing existing content. I do not know if character classes are a part of this but they could well be. Also it would be nice if there was just an option to choose the classes as the begining of the game much like Level 1 NPCs does once run. Assign them all classes and then play the game and find them.
    Haha, OK, so skeleton might be pushing it. But when trying to drive a point across one should never be concerned with such transient things as truth and moderation!

But yeah. I am aware of that contract thing, here's to hoping it isn't covered.
  • karpaszkarpasz Member Posts: 74
    Yes, BgTuTu has that feature. Minsc shouldn't be a ranger, more barbarian (rashemi).
    Minsc is a Ranger because he has Boo. It makes a lot more sense for a Ranger to have an animal companion than a Barbarian.
    He also lacks a lot of the required stat points for being a ranger. But he is not far off with the Boo comment.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Actually "Warriors and Priests of the Realms" has a Rashemar warrior kit. Apparently, even though standard "Clan Warriors" aren't the elite "Fang" Berserkers, they share a lot of the same traits. Like the ability to rage. And their combat tactics are, almost literally, "overwhelm your foe and beat it to death with your fists".
    LadyRhian strikes again with her unfathomable knowledge, love it :D