Skip to content

any good one handed warhammers in the entire series?

Simple question. Can someone help me? I am tryng to transfer one of my favorite and most played PnP characters to the pc screen. Fighter/Cleric dual wielding warhammers.

Are there any decent out there?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    edited September 2013
    WHOA!

Cromfayer in Bg2 - best offhand weapon in the universe.
    And a WH+2+electrical damage in BG1.

You've made a good weapon prof choice for your CHARNAME!

spoiler:
    http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/weapons/warhammers.html
    http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate/melee.html
    mement0JarrakulJuliusBorisov
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    There's one in particular that is well thought of, although it's pretty difficult to get. It's definitely not a bad choice of weapon, plus you'll have enough pips to choose something else too - flails and maces are good too. If this is your first time playing, just explore and see what you find.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    DarkDogg pretty much summed it up. You can even buy the "+2, +1 electric" from BG1 in the Adventurer's Mart near the start of BG2, so you won't be apart from it for long between games.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited September 2013
    Warhammers are great weapons in Baldur's gate. You can hit every single enemy with them (some golems are immune to everything except crushing damage, which hammers deal) . There are some great early hammers in the series, in BG1 you can get a warhammer+2 (+1 electricity damage) right from the start, and you can also buy the same hammer at the start of BG2.

Crom feyr is an amazing hammer, but it's not the best off hand in the game.
    Jarrakul
    CF is probably the 4th best off hand weapon, but still, great. If you're dual weilding hammers, wouldn't you stick it in your main hand though?

PS, worth saying that all hammers are 1 handed unless EE adds some.
    pixie359 said:

CF is probably the 4th best off hand weapon, but still, great. If you're dual weilding hammers, wouldn't you stick it in your main hand though?

PS, worth saying that all hammers are 1 handed unless EE adds some.

Hammer of Thunderbolts +3 from the sewers under temple district has the same damage as crom faeyr and you can have that in your main hand, it doesn't matter. When you hit ToB you'll want to use the Rune Hammer in your main hand instead.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Hammer of Thunderbolts is a good one. Runehammer is another good one. Don't know about "Best" but certainly late in the game there are some decent ones. Plus, no reduction of damage against stuff like Skells early on in the game. Win.
    IIRC Runehammer is situational isn't it? Ie useful against particular enemies (trying not to spoil too much).
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    @SionIV: That hammer is a component of Crom Faeyr, you can't wield both.

CF actually has pretty good damage for a MH (2d4+5, +3 electric), though of course the big draw is the 25 STR. It deals more damage than Runehammer+5 unless fighting undead. Note that depending on your mods, CF's damage may be displayed improperly.

As for offhand choices, CF is decent but slightly worse than a +1 APR OH in most cases. Also, the gain from its STR bonus diminishes with high base STR or other buffs, such as DuHM (this is why CF isn't a great choice for a cleric).
    SionIV
    It's still a great choice for a cleric, and 25 is higher than DuHM will get you starting from 18, but it's not a wonder weapon. I'd rather keep the components in most cases.
    edited September 2013

CF actually has pretty good damage for a MH (2d4+5, +3 electric), though of course the big draw is the 25 STR. It deals more damage than Runehammer+5 unless fighting undead. Note that depending on your mods, CF's damage may be displayed improperly.

As for offhand choices, CF is decent but slightly worse than a +1 APR OH in most cases. Also, the gain from its STR bonus diminishes with high base STR or other buffs, such as DuHM (this is why CF isn't a great choice for a cleric).

Forgot about that part, thank you for correcting me. And CF has 2d4 +3 damage and not +5. And Crom Faery has no electricity damage.

Runehammer is 2d4 +5 so it actually deals more damage than CF by default.

• mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
    Amazing info here. Thank you all. I had no idea about those hammers.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    pixie359 said:

IIRC Runehammer is situational isn't it? Ie useful against particular enemies (trying not to spoil too much).

It's a decent +4 hammer that scales up with Cespinar's help. Yes it is situational in that it helps additionally against certain enemies, but it is still a decent weapon in my book. There are better ones out there, just saying there are worse as well.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    SionIV said:

Forgot about that part, thank you for correcting me. And CF has 2d4 +3 damage and not +5. And Crom Faery has no electricity damage.

CF is 2d4 +3, +5 electrical damage.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    There are few intermediate hammers though. There is little between the +2 hammer and the +5 optimum. It does leave you a bit of a gap in midgame SoA.
    edited September 2013
    elminster said:

SionIV said:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/showshot.php?/baldursgateii/equipment/images/cromfaeyr.jpg

And i'm also looking at it on shadowkeeper. There is no electrical damage on Crom Faeyr.
    SionIV said:

elminster said:

SionIV said:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/showshot.php?/baldursgateii/equipment/images/cromfaeyr.jpg

And i'm also looking at it on shadowkeeper. There is no electrical damage on Crom Faeyr.
    I'm looking at it in Near Infinity and there is 5 electrical damage. The items code is Hamm09 so it should be pretty straightforward to confirm. I think it was one of those things that wasn't included in the original description of the item but was still active on the item itself.
    elminster said:

SionIV said:

elminster said:

SionIV said:

I'm looking at it in Near Infinity and there is 5 electrical damage. The items code is Hamm09 so it should be pretty straightforward to confirm. I think it was one of those things that wasn't included in the original description of the item but was still active on the item itself.
    You are correct, it's not in the description and it's been such a long time since i used it last time. It does have +5 electrical damage, just added it to one of my characters through shadowkeeper and went to hit some people.
    Yea haven't used it in years. The only reason I knew myself was because I was arguing about it with someone (for whatever reason I didn't think it had it either) maybe about a month ago. :)
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Just checked to confirm, and Crom Faeyr does deal +5 electrical damage.
    I never really liked Crom Faeyr. The 25 Strength does not make it worthwhile in my games.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    @SionIV, I'm usually inclined to agree (although it depends on the game). 25 Strength is awesome, but some good items go into Crom Faeyr, and 25 Strength isn't that much better than 21. So I usually don't make it. That said, if you're running a hammer-wielder as a main character, it's almost certainly worth it. Not as good as switching to flails, but what is?
    SionIV
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    There's always party balance to consider. STR values can screw things quite thoroughly, and make it a nightmare to optimize equipment. Whether or not to craft and use CF or use the components instead (mainly the belt) can be tricky to decide indeed :(
    I always give it to Viconia if i get it.
    jackjack
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    doesn't the rune hammer also make you immune to level drain?
    SCARY_WIZARD
    edited September 2013
    sarevok57 said:

doesn't the rune hammer also make you immune to level drain?

Yes it does.
    SCARY_WIZARD