Skip to content

Downloading BG:EE from both Standalone and Beamdog client, capped at 40KB/s.

My university throttles P2P downloads, so I'm capped at 40KB/s despite the 100Mb/s (=12.5MB/s) connection.

So, I unchecked "Use P2P" in the standalone installer, and disabled "Use Turbo" in the Beamdog Client and restart the application, but it still is capped at 40KB/s. Is there anyway to force a direct download or force the application to not use P2P?

Comments

• AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited September 2013
    Unfortunately, no, because, unlike Steam, even if you disable P2P, it will use a P2P-Similar protocol to the server to get the data.
    You can get a direct HTTP download from the Beamdog webpage (download the installer there), but then you are not using the Beamdog client version, which will miss you out the beta later.

EDIT: I Wiresharked the web installer client (not the beamdog client) and that one also uses BitTorrent. Sorry, you are out of luck :(
  • EdgeOfPainEdgeOfPain Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2013

Unfortunately, no, because, unlike Steam, even if you disable P2P, it will use a P2P-Similar protocol to the server to get the data.
    You can get a direct HTTP download from the Beamdog webpage (download the installer there), but then you are not using the Beamdog client version, which will miss you out the beta later.

EDIT: I Wiresharked the web installer client (not the beamdog client) and that one also uses BitTorrent. Sorry, you are out of luck :(

Drat :/

Well thanks anyway. Is there some sort of reputation system for being helpful or do I just like your comment?

EDIT: I actually have the Steam version so I can play that any time. But I figured the devs would get more money if I got it on Beamdog. So I got BG:EE and pre-ordered BG2:EE. I also wanted a method of playing it without any clients whatsoever, but seems like I'll have to deal with slow downloads either way. I tried to just copy+paste the files from the Steam version, to no avail.
  • Well, the Steam version is maintained by Atari (their contractor; it was not Overhaul/Beamdog who added BG:EE to Steam), not by Overhaul/Beamdog.

The Steam version is, in comparison to the Overhaul version, outdated. The files are not compatible to each other, that is why the client is ignoring these.