Skip to content

Ascension: The Ending ToB Deserves

shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
Dear creators,

First of all, let me express my deepest gratitude and support for this project. Unlike your typical "Baldur's Gate" fans, I was actually introduced to the series only a year ago via GOG - that's not going to stop me from picking up both Enhanced Editions, because I believe in what you're doing and I've enjoyed the games very much.

I don't know if this request has been made by others, or how the fanbase in general feels about it, but I would like to ask that David Gaider's "Ascension" mod be incorporated into your Enhanced Edition of BG2 - or, at the very least, that the plot-based aspects of the mod be integrated into the base game.

In my original playthrough, "Ascension" was the only modification I installed - and I did so specifically because Gaider worked on the original games and he made some very good points as to why the ending of "Throne of Bhaal" wasn't quite up to snuff.

What makes "Ascension" stand out in my eyes is how the smaller touches Gaider added lent depth and color to the characters and the plot: for example, when Sarevok is accepted into your party, you are able to return his sword - reclaimed at the very beginning of BG2 - and in doing so the weapon becomes enhanced. It's a moment where you're either bonding with the villain of the first game or coldly reminding him of his place (depending on how you're roleplaying the lead).

Then you have Sarevok's dialogues with Imoen - again, varying depending on your relationship with him, but no less important for cementing his position within the party.

And finally, there's the battle with Amelyssan. In which, rather than face generic Elementals and Slayer Shadows, you are forced to confront the Greatest Hits of your villains' gallery: Irenicus, Bodhi, Imoen as the Slayer, Sarevok, and finally the Five. But the battle changes depending on your actions - if you're of Good alignment, Balthazar assists you; if you're Evil, you can sway Bodhi to your side and use her against Irenicus. Sarevok either betrays you or stays by your side (once again, an outcome decided entirely by your interactions).

This version of the ending allows players to reflect on the journey they've taken, the challenges they've faced, and the greater battle yet to come. That the epilogues were restored to their original length after being cut during production is an added bonus.

Having played through "Throne of Bhaal" with "Ascension", I literally cannot imagine the story ending in any other way. It is, in my opinion, the ending this saga deserves, and a proper culmination of the player's journey throughout the trilogy.

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Has "Ascension" already been ruled out for that reason?
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Ascension is made by David Gaider, but still it is his personal mod, and it changes existing content, therefore it should be affected by the conract.
    I'm not so sure - wouldn't that technically account for *every* mod and fixpack that's already being looked at for the Enhanced Edition, such as 1PP? They were all personal mods that changed existing content...
    Paperdolls and UI changes are more of cosmetic nature. Ascension changes the story and dialogues. Mods are supported, but Beamdog can't change already existing storyline dialogues etc., that was made by Bioware/Black Isle. So what they do is offering completely new content, new characters, cleaned up data, reworked UI, graphical improvements making the game more accessible for modders etc.
    So Ascension should be impossible to implement.
  • GrumpwagonGrumpwagon Member Posts: 25
    Except via mods. Which could easily be unofficially supported I'm guessing.
    Possible but I think unofficial support will come in form of unhardcoding loads of stuff.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited July 2012
    We've been told that a lot of mods should still work without any alterations so the Ascenscion mod may well still work out-of-the-box, so to speak.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    edited July 2012
    The main problem with Ascension as it stands today is that it is very, very old. By today's modding standards it is mostly held together with sticky tack and wire. I haven't heard of any absolutely crippling mod conflicts as a result of this but there is always the possibility. Official support in bringing it up to modern standards would have been a prime way to resolve this. Too bad, I guess.
    Assuming it is possible to change originial content, why don't they try to, after they have finished BG:EE? Or even before. I mean this is what many people want, so why don't they try? People want more banters, people want some vanilla content reworked, since they stated they can't do it, and it seems they weren't able to do it, it seems more than likely this will apply to Ascension as well.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @geselle My assumption is that, in the cases that they deem to be important enough, they have tried/will try. We don't really know what requests they made that were shot down regarding this, and adding dialogues in BG1 is a sensitive area. Yes, a large number of people want it, but there are also plenty of people that believe it to be fine as it is. when it comes to ToB on the other hand, there is a large portion of the BG fan community (a strong majority I believe) that thinks that it is lacking, so perhaps (and obviously this is just me speculating here) it will be considerably easier to get approval for it.
  • CharlyCharly Member Posts: 5
    I have to say that a large part of me is put off by not having ascension. Hopefully someone can reverse engineer it if the code is remaining roughly the same. I agree that the original ending was really damp, compared to the Ascension ending, which added some much needed character to Sarevok, Balthazar, and even Imoen, not to mention it was much tougher.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I disagree - i think TOB is a completely unsalvagable disaster regardless of the Ascension mod. Hell even TDD mod was better.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited July 2012
    @shawne

There are other mods by the same fellow that edit the ending though, atleast I'm pretty damn sure they were made by him. :P

EIT: Nevermind, they aren't. xD
    Ward said:

@shawne

There are other mods by the same fellow that edit the ending though.

There are other mods by the same fellow that alter Throne of Bhaal as a whole (restored and improved bhaalspawn powers and the tougher battles with the Five and other impotant Bhaalspawn). don't know of any mods by him that affect the ending specifically aside from Ascension.

In regards to those other mods: tougher tactical battles should definitely be no more than an optional add-on, simply because not everyone is looking for that level of challenge (and some of these really are a challenge even for very tactical players). The Bhaalspawn powers you could bring in imo, but they don't really address ToB's issues directly.
    @Aranneas: Yes, I'm one of those players who opted not to install the Tougher Battles components of "Ascension" on the grounds that I'm not very good at it. :)

I think the Bhaalspawn powers are plot-related, though, which is why I really enjoyed them: you're basically undergoing the same process as Amelyssan, gathering up Bhaal's essence through the Pocket Plane trials, so of course you should manifest new abilities. That's why it ultimately comes down to you, Amelyssan and Imoen.
    Ward said:

@shawne

There are other mods by the same fellow that edit the ending though, atleast I'm pretty damn sure they were made by him. :P

EIT: Nevermind, they aren't. xD

Heh. Were you referring to Turnabout and/or Wheels of Prophecy? Both were well done, neither was Gaider's work.
    @Aranneas

Yeah! Turnabout, Redemption, The Longer Road, Wheels of Prophecy.

Too many to list. I thought Turnabout and Redemption were by David Gaider.
    edited July 2012
    I actually know the guy who did Wheels of Prophecy so that one's not an issue for me :D

Turnabout and Redemption were both the source of so much argument in the modding community at the time that it was hard to get them confused if you were active at all (which I still was a bit)
    edited July 2012
    @Aranneas

What happened then? They sound like good mods to me from the descriptions. I don't know how Redemption and The Longer Road would be compatible..
    edited July 2012
    they are decent mods in my opinion but the BG modding community was a big pit of drama for a while. you know how it goes with forums and strongly opinionated people :D some of the creators and ancillary staff had a less than savoury reputation going for various reasons.
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    Personally I like ToB, but I have the opinion that the BG series ends after you kill Irenicus.
    It just seems like an unrealistic over-the-top addon to the story but I had a whole lot of fun doing it.
  • Knight12ifyKnight12ify Member Posts: 23
    How about the Imoen romance mode.

Yeah, that was a joke to all you who are about to go ballistic on me.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    BG2EE may be in the relatively distant future, but now is the time to talk about this. If integrating Ascension requires lengthy negociations then those should begin ASAP. @shawne put it perfectly, Ascension is *almost* official content and it is almost universally agreed that it is what ToB should have been. Its absence in an Enhanced Edition would be inexplicable. Everything must be done to get Ascension in BG2EE in spite of any contractual limitations: these must be worked around.

I hope we get a word from the dev team about this soon and in the meantime, please keep this thread alive and add your "agrees" to the OP.
    @Zeckul: I am, of course, in total agreement. :) I mean, yes, I understand that there are severe limits to what Overhaul can realistically accomplish with the core game; I understand that if BG2EE really is mod-compatible I can (theoretically) install "Ascension" myself; I even understand the concern that if "Ascension" is included, demands for other mods will increase.

And yet... it seems to me that more than anything, incorporating "Ascension" into "Throne of Bhaal" is a symbolic gesture: here is something that was supposed to be in the game, and wasn't, and its absence damaged the way ToB is perceived even today. Much like all those unfinished/broken questlines in BG1 that may or may not be fixed, it's technically true that these things constitute changes to the existing content - but in these specific cases the existing content is itself incomplete, for whatever reason. It's not "addition", in my opinion, so much as it is "restoration". And isn't that part of the creators' mission statement?
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    I know this is a bit of an old/dead topic, but I came across it because I was searching for confirmation that Ascension content would be included in BG2:EE and didn't find any, so I don't feel much guilt in resurrecting it. I would love to see the Ascension content be part of BG2:EE, because I've always been of the opinion that it was how ToB was "meant" to end, in addition to being able to experience a wide variety of other nice touches (as @shawne mentioned, the Sarevok/Imoen interactions) among other things.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Ascension is the ending Throne of Bhaal deserve, but not the one it needs...

Ok, I'm turning serious mode now. To be honest, plot elements from ascension are awesome, but there is other element that should be took in account: difficulty level. It's way too hard for new player, hell, it's to hard for me, in spite playing BG for years. So I don't think that adding it is good idea. Unless you do that with only plot content.

To be blunt, I think it's one of the impossible requests. Contract that restricts changes for original content is a bitch.