Skip to content

BG2: What did you do to the Demogorgon?

taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
I am curious what people decide to do about the Demogorgon.
I am honestly having a hard time deciding what to do with it.
  1. BG2: What did you do to the Demogorgon?215 votes
    1. Set it free on the Prime Material Plane
        3.72%
    2. "Killed" it (freeing it, but to the Abyss)
      66.05%
    3. Imprisoned it alone (reinforce wards, be let out, tell fallen Helmites the truth)
        8.84%
    4. Imprisoned it with fallen Helmites
      21.40%

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I heard this story about the demon prince having a weakness to getting a couple of spike traps up his behind, and i just couldn't not try it. My thief hadn't seen combat in a long while and the plan was to soften up the prince with some traps.. It was a very anti climatic ending to that story.
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    dib said:

Who the hell would forgo the chance to test their strength against the prince of demons?

That is my big problem... I WANT to do so. It would be AWESOME!
    But I would feel guilty for all the people harmed by it eventually after it reformed.

Saving the Helmites from being tormented by the Demogorgon for all eternity isn't that big a deal for me though... because I know enough about forgotten realm cosmology to know they are going to face the very same anyways for being judged among The False. (the spirit outright tells you Helm thinks of them as such)
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Well I usually play evil characters so that isn't a big problem for me. I also usually slaughter those helmite bastards after dealing with Demogorgon.

As a good character I'd just roleplay not to know any better and of course avoid asking anyone what would actually happen if I killed Demogorgon. ;)
  • XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
    I always kill him for the challenge, but does anyone know the xp rewards for the other options? Which pays the most in the end?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The more the merrier, eh?
    XerxesV said:

I always kill him for the challenge, but does anyone know the xp rewards for the other options? Which pays the most in the end?

I can't remember as it's been such a long time ago. But i think you still get the quest experience even if you kill him, as you do complete the quest. But i might be wrong on this.
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    you can get both experience bonuses by killing demogorgon then when you exit pause the game and use the scroll immediately after loading into the exit area, just make sure you have looted everything from watcher's keep :)
    edited September 2013
    that was pretty awesome shixun
    XerxesV said:

If you go in and kill him you get 100,000XP

If you perform the ritual you get 80,000XP and he lets you out. At this point your choices are:
    1. Tell Fallen Helmites the truth for 10,000XP (total 90,000XP) and +1 to reputation
    2. Send them in (get 25,000XP and a scroll you may optionally use), then go in and kill him (100,000XP), and 20,000XP for talking to dying helmite.
    3. Send them in (get 25,000XP) and then leave (freeing him to ravage faerun). I don't think you get any more XP.
    4. Send them in (25,000XP), and then seal them with it forever (80,000XP)

So the final tallies are:
    Free him - 105k
    Seal him alone - 90k
    Seal him with fallen Helmites - 185k
    Kill him when you first enter - 100k
    Kill him after sending in helmites - 225k
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    There's also:

Kill him after performing the ritual inside - 180k
    Kill him after performing the ritual inside, then kill all the Helmites - ??? (not sure how much xp the Helmites give)

Also I'm not 100% sure but I think you can let him out, then return to WK and find him rampaging outside, where you can then kill him. I've seen screenshots/stories of this, but have not done it myself. Might be a hoax.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Performed the ritual, sent the Helmites to their deaths for betraying me, then went back in to finish Demogorgon off. The way I saw it, he'd escape the Keep sooner or later - might as well take him out and ensure a certain period of peace in the Prime.
    So many people killed him...
    Out of curiosity, would you have done it if sealing him gave more XP than killing him?
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    taltamir said:

Out of curiosity, would you have done it if sealing him gave more XP than killing him?

Absolutely. Besides, at this point in the game XP is of little consequence anyway.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited September 2013
    Definitely killed it. A cleric/mage has a great chance of taking care of business. Improved Alacrity to speed things up, Magic Resistance to set its value, Spell Sequencer loaded with 3x Pierce Magic gets rid of all his magic resistance, Holy Power, DUHM, and Harm--this drops his hit points below 20 and triggers his death cutscene. The only thing left to chance is actually hitting him with the Harm, but that's what the Holy Power and DUHM are for.
    I personally did all the options, saved after each one, and am currently trying to decide which save to make canon and to use going forwards :)
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    SionIV said:

I heard this story about the demon prince having a weakness to getting a couple of spike traps up his behind, and i just couldn't not try it. My thief hadn't seen combat in a long while and the plan was to soften up the prince with some traps.. It was a very anti climatic ending to that story.

^^
    It's a quite funny ending though.
    I never level traps anymore cus how op they are.
    Freche said:

SionIV said:

^^
    It's a quite funny ending though.
    I never level traps anymore cus how op they are.
    I don't touch any of the traps anymore. Last time i did was a No-reload SCS game with a solo thief/mage and i was stuck on one fight, trying to figure out how to get enough firepower to make it through. I ended up using 3 traps and won the fight, but it wasn't really worth it and i ended up quitting his run before dying.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Kill him. Truth is trying loads of times until I got the hold on how to. Then killing him. The helmites might go the same way but I always almost play goody goody so they mostly survives
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    taltamir said:

Sealed him. Won't be my problem when I'm a god :)
  • XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
    elminster said:

taltamir said:

Sealed him. Won't be my problem when I'm a god :)
    In D&D lore, how do evil gods like Bhaal deal with primordeals like Demogorgon?
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Where's all of the above option?

Oh well, after sending him back to the Abyss and telling him to mend his ways, he seems to have taken my words to heart(s) and has completely redone himself. Now he's in theater and has gone off to bother those pesky mortals on some plane called Earth =p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo4XXm8OUP4
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    edited September 2013
    Cant remember really. I only bothered going that deep into Watcher Keep once, about 6 years ago. Never liked the area that much. Will do it in Bg2EE though.
    Ok so, as I said earlier, I don't bother saving the knights not because I don't feel pity for them suffering eternal torture, but because I know the cosmology and know they are branded as The False.

However, I did find new evidence that potentially alters the decision. When the knights go into the keep to examine the seals the apparition says:

"The Knight, Odren, has not been honest with thee...thou knowest this. The ritual repairs the old seals, trapping the Imprisoned One as well as the one who reads the ritual.

Odren intended it to thee to sacrifice thy life, rather than make his own sacrifice willingly. He also failed to tell thee the scope of the evil that lies within...the Imprisoned One is Demogorgon, Prince of Demons.

Odren cannot win in the battle below against the demon. The ritual is Odren's...with his death, Demogorgon will be free to leave the Watcher's Keep. Imagine, if thou wilst, what such a create would do, then.

Ok so, lets say I tell the Knights the truth and they go on a pilgrimage... they rediscover their faith, yadda yadda. 60 years later Odren dies of old age and the Demogorgon is now free because he didn't voluntarily sacrifice his life like the current spectral guardians.

... Although, Helm DOES provide me with a custom ritual that lets me seal it from the outside. So it is potentially possible that helm would do so for someone else.

I am quite baffled by how passive helm is about this. I mean, did you notice the giant bell that rings soundlessly in alarm if Demogorgon escapes and how Helms wrath would burn like the midday sun? You would think he would take a more active role in making sure shit didn't fall apart. Heck he supposedly PERSONALLY imprisoned the thing
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Apologies for the thread necro but I want to point out the path I usually take:

Read the scroll, sealing yourself in with D (80k each)
    Kill Demogorgon to get out (100k each)
    Let the Helmites go, with or without forgiving them (50k each, +1 rep)

230k exp and 1 rep, and it's a path that makes sense from an RP perspective. You're there to seal the demon, killing the demon instead of making a deal with him is a natural choice for a good party, as is being noble about the whole thing and letting the Helmites go (not to mention you get more exp than you would for killing them).
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I remember killing him years ago, but doesn't anyone know what level they typically do it at?
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    There's an exploit in the vanilla game but I don't know if it still exists in EE:

1) Read the ritual scroll when you first enter Demogorgon's chamber (80k XP).
    2) Exit and lure the Helmites into the keep to get slaughtered (25k XP).
    3) Receive new scroll from Helmite ghost.
    4) Enter the keep and kill Demogorgon (100k XP).
    5) Place new scroll in a quick item slot.
    6) Speak to Odren one last time (20k XP).
    7) Exit the keep. At this point the new scroll should disappear but it doesn't immediately. So pause the game before the scroll disappears and read it for 80k XP.

(I suppose the difficult part is step 8: Get the smell of burnt cheese out of your computer...)
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223

There's an exploit in the vanilla game but I don't know if it still exists in EE.

It still exists.

Spike trapped his ass and then imprisoned what remained of his avatar. Demogorgon or not I don't like no supernatural entity brushing my cheek and all. Hello, Spawn of a God here!