Skip to content

D&D 5th Edition (2014)

LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
"On January 9, 2012, Wizards of the Coast announced it was working on a 5th edition of the game.[97] The company plans to take suggestions from players and let them playtest the rules.[98][99] Public playtesting began on May 24, 2012.[100] At Gen Con 2012 in August, Mike Mearls said that Wizards of the Coast had received feedback from more than 75,000 playtesters, but that the entire development process would take two years, adding, "I can't emphasize this enough... we're very serious about taking the time we need to get this right."[101] A 2014 release would coincide with D&D's 40th anniversary.[101]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_&_Dragons

So. I am not a fan of the 4th edition, I think it's just way too streamlined for lack of a better word. When 3rd Ed came out I thought they made some very obvious corrections, 3.5 was okay too but 4th kind of messed it up. There are some very creative things happening with 4th, like the ideas behind the Avenger class and more.

So, what direction will they go? A retro approach or an even more streamlined feel (as if that is even possible).
elminsterMrpenfold666booinyoureyes

Comments

• Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    I mostly played with 3 and 3.5. Dabbled with the rest. I hope they go back to a similar system. If not I'll just have to by 3.5 books again. Maybe they could turn all those new classes in 4th into prestige classes
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Dee said:

it really does seem like the "best" version of D&D--a version that can be modded and reprogrammed to suit a particular group's needs.

and there in lies the essence of a good game system, bringing back that guideline feel as apposed to a strict rulebook.

Do you have any spoilers to share?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Not without breaking the NDA, but I believe you can sign up for playtesting fairly easily somewhere on the Wizards of the Coast website.
    elminsterMrpenfold666
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Was 4th even released or did they just skip it? Edition times are getting shorter and shorter or I'm getting older and older.
    CrevsDaak
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    They lost me when they added volumes upon volumes of classes and races and... I get the customization thing, but prefer a simpler overarching theme.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Can you still play any class as any race? Is it still mostly d20 based? If so, then why not just move to GURPS, which has always had the ability to allow you to play any sort of character in any sort of setting? Your dark elf mage who was sent through a portal to the Old West can partner with a martial artist who escaped a corrupt police officer from China and a tech from an advanced alien civilization whose scout ship crashed here on Earth. Your characters will need good luck because a telepathic bounty hunter is after you.
    Mortianna
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I found 4E kind of weird in that it changed some of the key aspects of some classes. Like Fighters were no longer the main melee damage dealers.
    CrevsDaak
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Drugar said:

karnor00 said:

If they'd tried to pick, bash or break down the dungeon door then I had plenty of rules to cover it. But what about when they piled wood up against the door and set fire to it? Would the door burn down? Would the fire run out of oxygen in the dungeon corridor? Would everyone choke to death from smoke inhalation? Would they attract attention? Forget the Complete Fighter Handbook. I needed the Complete Arson Handbook to deal with my players.

I feel your pain.
    My players once killed a pirate, tied the corpse to a spiked iron door, doused the whole thing in oil, set it on fire, then started beating enemies over the head with the burning pirate corpse door.

I believe my response was "Fuck it, 2d10 bludgeoning damage, +1d6 fire, -4 to attack for improvised weapon".

Gorram barbarians...
    Oh good, I'm not the only one who had this problem.

My players invented a new spell (sort of) Combine stinking cloud with any fire related spell (ie flame bolt, burning hands) or item (ie flaming arrow, torch) and you get Flaming A**hole! It negates the stinking cloud and creates a fireball in it's place. It's great for room clearings or violent shattering farts that can be seen from distant lands (which was how it originated. The party used it on a band of orcs that had just completed a caravan raid. Afterwards a paladin and some knights from a nearby kingdom went over to find out what in the Nine Hells that explosion was)
    DrugarQuartzCr4zyJ
    My players made me pay for the pizza. :(
    Cr4zyJ
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    edited October 2013
    As curious as I am about how this will turn out, it is kind of a moot point when it comes to a pen and paper game since only two members plus myself are still around from my gaming group. Of the three of us, one has been quite preoccupied with advancing his career, so I don't even see him online very often, much less in real life. To make matters worse, he was pretty much the one who was DM all the time.
    On the other hand, I hope this turns out really well since any new D&D CRPG would almost certainly use the newest edition of rules.
    Post edited by Zarakinthish on
    Quartz
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    I've been playing since 1st ed. AD&D.
    this will be the first new edition i will not purchase
    4th ed. left a terrible, terrible taste in my & my group's collective mouths & we use Pathfinder as a chassis for our gaming...
    i've downloaded & read the D&D Next stuff and am totally underwhelmed...there is absolutely no need (other than curiosity) to even look at any of the newest d&d edition's books
    Mortianna
    Drugar said:

karnor00 said:

If they'd tried to pick, bash or break down the dungeon door then I had plenty of rules to cover it. But what about when they piled wood up against the door and set fire to it? Would the door burn down? Would the fire run out of oxygen in the dungeon corridor? Would everyone choke to death from smoke inhalation? Would they attract attention? Forget the Complete Fighter Handbook. I needed the Complete Arson Handbook to deal with my players.

I feel your pain.
    My players once killed a pirate, tied the corpse to a spiked iron door, doused the whole thing in oil, set it on fire, then started beating enemies over the head with the burning pirate corpse door.

I believe my response was "Fuck it, 2d10 bludgeoning damage, +1d6 fire, -4 to attack for improvised weapon".

Gorram barbarians...

I would have made it generate a horror spell effect towards other pirates. With a +4 to save since they killed him, beating something with a door that has a living thing spiked to it is a little scarier.

alnair
    I have to give some credit to the 4thED, while I still maintain that it failed in every other aspect, it did manage to bring about a table top war game feel. The emphasize became more about positioning, movement, and flanking. If they could somehow keep that alive while retroing everything else, they will win.
    They went retro! :)

Mostly, it's got a 3.0 feel to it.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    4th ed to me is what world or warcraft is to RPGs it focuses on overpowered characters running around near invincible dealing high amounts of damage to things. dont believe me ill explain 3 things that prove my point:

Character one: Mages. first off the original 4th ed made magic missiles able to miss (which was the entire point of magic missile, it did little damage but couldn't miss) and now i believe (i cant remember as i didn't play a mage since then due to them being broken) a magic missile is 1D6+int modifier so 1D6 + 3/4/5 depending on rolls and then they fixed that so it cant miss but does the same ammount of damage and still ads more missiles when you level up. over powered. AND its an at will ability so mages get an infinite number of magic missiles that cant miss and do 1D6 + int modifier damage instead of the tried, tested and loved 1D4+1

character 2: Druids: ok this required a book that deviated from the core rules so i had a hamadryad predator druid. (personally im an offensive person and i go for more damage whenever possible) and with the at will shapeshift into any beast or fey beast.....looking through the monster manual will-o-wisps are fey beasts, and so using logic i shapeshifted into one of them and went into a dungeon where i could illuminate it and fly over traps and point them out to people....i may have used it wrong but i was going by the wording of the ability

Character 3: half orc monk this is mainly his abilities more specifically his daily ability (which got refused by our DM because he saw how broken it was) running an established module and i was fighting a hobgoblin riding a drake and all damage against the hobgoblin gets transffered to the drake so i did harmonius thunder which does 2D6 + W +strength modifier to one target and 1W + strength modifer to a second target (or something like that at college so i dont have the book) i also have the feat so his basic attack is 1D10 then his flurry of blows took place and his half orc rage attack which deals an addtional W damage so i did 2D10 +2D6 +8 to the hobgoblin (transfered to the drage) and 1D10 +8 +1D6 damage to the drake and i was lucky to crit so (according to dm it all does max damage) so in one round a level one did 64 damage killing it instantly.

maybe its over powered, maybe im good at finding what works but im putting my money on the former
    Lateralus[Deleted User]
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Well, to be fair, 3.5 had its own problems; Druids basicly had two characters (or at least 1 character + one souped up, perma-enchanted meatshield).
    Wizards were everyfloating demigods once they got to medium levels. Especially Red Wizards could get DC's so high, all those insta-death spells would be irresistable so he'd be killing the DM's fancy campaign villains left and right.
    A raging half orc barbarian with power attack and a two handed axe could deal 50-60 damage per crit at level 1, per hit at level 5.
    Any character with the leadership feat got a massive powerboost with a second character (possibly a third if that character also took Leadership), which also made crafting a breeze (just let the butler do it).

I vastly prefer 3.5 (or, well, pathfinder) but let's not pretend 4th Ed invented powergaming.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    im not saying 4th ed invented power gaming....its just 4th ed used power gaming as its standard where as in 3.5 you had to "work" at it, you needed certain feats or spells. where as 4th ed....it just happens
  • 4e did two things with regards to powergaming: It lowered the bar for the amount of system mastery needed to powergame, and it raised the baseline power level of characters such that you could do what you want and not have to worry about dying in the first round of the first combat.

Whether these are positive changes is a matter of personal taste.
    [Deleted User]
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I liked the Dragonborn race but yeah, 4th edition sucked. Pathfinder all the way.
    Malicron
    @ ladyrhian

It's a business world, the only way to really find an enjoyable game is to make one yourself. I've done that a few times and they are all wonderful. You're always goign to have supplimental material that costs money.

Anyways, if you didnt like 3 you wont like 5.
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    Guys, D&D is dead. Long live Numenera!
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    What little I've heard about Numenera sounds quite interesting. Unfortunately, as I stated earlier, I don't have enough people to play PnP anymore. Looking forward to seeing how Torment: Tides of Numenera turns out however.
    Lateralus
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    They're just cashing out at this point.

They're just cashing out at this point.

It's amazing to me that there is still a market left to cash out in. I guess...it's become one of those classic hobbies like model trains. Something that was never truly popular, and yet popular enough to stand the test of time. I mean, this game has spanned 5 decades...just wow. I miss those PnP all nighters. I hope 5th ed brings back fans and captures the imaginations of thousands of new ones.
    zerckanCrevsDaak
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    Cheer up, roleplayers.. It seems they have settled on a DM dominated system with optional sets of rules. The DMs get back the power to form the game, adapt and let the players try to do what they like (instead of "no, you can't do that, because you have to declare which power you are using, and none of your powers do that..."). I 've even seen vids of people claiming it feels more like 2nd edition than 3rd. A major plus.

PS: I also heard people state that if it doesn't work it could be the last edition. Keep your fingers crossed.