Skip to content

Contractual limitations

NimzNimz Member Posts: 44

Beamdog / Overhaul also face contractual limitations regarding the addition of new content to the existing games. They can build new content as "expansions", but they cannot add to the core content in the main title. This limitation is due to the contracts for the original source content and limit the devs from adding new conversation for existing characters to the main game. Hence, adding banters, inerjections and romances to the original cast of characters is unfortunately not feasible

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1588/bgee-please-read-list-of-things-that-cant-be-done/p1

I think this needs to be changed for BG2:EE.

Comments

• MReedMReed Member Posts: 25
    I don't have any special insight, but I think the odds of this changing are near nil. I suspect that one of two things are true:

1) Bioware is exploiting this as a trial balloon to see how big the market is -- if it is highly successful, then Bioware wants to preserve their option to remake other infinity engine games, or make new games using that engine.
    2) Wizards of the Coast, who holds the rights to D&D, almost certainly has no interest in a resurgence of 2nd edition D&D games (it is highly confusing to current D&D players, for starters). I suspect that the only reason WotC "approved" this re-release is because the original contract (from 14 years ago) had a clause that allowed Bioware to release expansion packs without further consent from the TSR (I think they still held the rights back then). Thus, Bioware has to limit what Overhaul can do to ensure they don't end up in court arguing about the meaning of "expansion pack" in a 14 year old contract.

I suspect that the current problem is #2 -- Bioware simply doesn't care enough to risk a lawsuit for something that they don't think will be successful to begin with (otherwise, they could have done this a long time ago). If it turns out to be highly successful, then #1 will come into play -- I'm sure they feel that they could make a BG3 / remake IWD1&2 and PS:T if they thought it would be profitable.
  • NimzNimz Member Posts: 44
    I would love to know, because this is one hell of a limitation
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    I think it needs to be changed for this game as well and any subsequent "enhanced" title. Wishful thinking won't make it happen sadly.