Skip to content

Unpause the inventory screen

Hi all,

From what I remember of the original Baldur's Gate, the game always unpaused whenever you entered the Inventory screen. This created a situation where you did not want to enter the inventory or you'd lose the ability to control the battlefield. Perhaps on purpose, the number of quick slots then became important since it enabled switching weapons or use multiple items without unpausing the game. Yes, Boo was a handicap!

Then BG2 came and changed all this, you are always paused in the inventory screen. It might have been a workaround for some bugs (the game might have crashed if you switch some gear at some improper time) but I really liked the feature. It also enabled managing the inventory on those long strolls across the map (and getting caught with your pants down). But by Valkur's strapping buttocks, I want it back! If it's not too much trouble. Make it optional perhaps? Thanks.

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    The fact that you couldn't pause in the Inventory screen in BG1 wasn't a choice the producers made. It's something that was just a part of the game and we all disliked it. When BG2 came and we could finally pause while in the inventory it was... amazing to say the least.

You can't play a tactical game without that feature, the need to change not only weapons but potions and scrolls aswell.

I could see it being a option you could click on yourself, but i wish they would just keep it the way it is now.

• crasher_ptcrasher_pt Member Posts: 7
    It made the game easier, yes. It also made some features mostly moot, such as limited quick item slots and how you used them, to some extent.

I totally understand that you'd like it to stay but honestly I think it should be a part of the BG hardcore experience.
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    As long as it's optional (with the current behaviour as default, obviously), it's a feature I'd welcome.
  • syllogsyllog Member Posts: 158
    Is there a mod that does this?
    I liked it too. Forced choices increase strategic depth in general - you don't just have a medicine cabinet of fixes for every imaginable problem.