Skip to content

Favourite Fighter HLA

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
What is your favourite fighter HLA (Higher Level Ability)?

You can find a description of what each does here

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg2/character/highlevel/pools/#warrior
  1. Favourite Fighter HLA78 votes
    1. Critical Strike
      17.95%
    2. Deathblow
        1.28%
    3. Greater Deathblow
        1.28%
    4. Whirlwind Attack
        2.56%
    5. Greater Whirlwind Attack
      61.54%
    6. War Cry
        1.28%
    7. Hardiness
        8.97%
    8. Power Attack
        0.00%
    9. Smite
        3.85%
    10. Resist Magic
        1.28%

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Every time my warrior uses War Cry, I simply must sing Heavy Metal Breakdown out aloud. It's like an chronic metal disease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adRHLdNF2MQ

Also, I never understood as to why the Skald kit can't select War Cry as an HLA but the monk can (of all things ! ). Doesn't make the least bit of sense to me. :/
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    lol whirlwind attack doesn't even need to be in when we have greater. it still got a vote somehow though. I am confused
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

lol whirlwind attack doesn't even need to be in when we have greater. it still got a vote somehow though. I am confused

I wasn't about to deprive someone of the option of voting for it :)
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Been in love with Smite ever since I used it to slide Irenicus along the edge of the Blood Throne in the Ascension fight. He flew backwards normally at first but once he hit the lip of the circle he slid along it like a monorail and disappeared in the fog of war. It took him a while to come back, by which time I'd dealt with Slayer Imoen and Bodhi.

I'm looking forward to my Blackguard using Smite followed by Poison Weapon. "Why don't you go way the hell over there and be poisoned for a while, chump?!"

@ChildofBhaal599
    It's a useful option for multi-class characters like Jaheira who have a lot of great stuff to choose from and may not pick up Improved right away.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    As good as Smite/Critical Strike is... Greater Whirlwind Attack is just better in my opinion.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    I can't remember but can you combine Critical Strike with Greater Whirlwind Attack?

I can't remember but can you combine Critical Strike with Greater Whirlwind Attack?

No they both only last a round.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited October 2013
    For dual wielders who can get 9 or 10 attacks with a speed weapon and improved haste then Critical Strike is probably offensively the best HLA.

For 2-hander and sword 'n' board users then GWW is pretty good.

I'm surprised Hardiness has so few votes though. It lasts for ages and stacks with other sources of damage reduction to give your tanks ridiculous damage reduction!
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384

Maybe if you're a fighter-mage and use Improved Alacrity.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Well...Hardiness makes a beast out of Barbarians (adding to his defenses already) and Monks (add some defense on top of that magic resist).
    Smite is situation-ally great tool for disabling enemies and War Cry is just metal.

But GWW is the all-round-favorite that every Fighter can and will use.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Hardiness also works with the Defender of Easthaven flail (+20% physical damage resistance) and Armor of Faith for fighter/clerics and paladins. Who needs AC when you're 85% resistant to physical damage?
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    am i the only guy who thinks a higher level fighter who can resist high level magic is a good thing? really?
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050

am i the only guy who thinks a higher level fighter who can resist high level magic is a good thing? really?

Unless I'm mistaken, it sets your magic resistance to 50% rather than giving a bonus, that by itself is kind of a minus for it...
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    surely it would be the base magic resistance being 50% then you add more to it?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

surely it would be the base magic resistance being 50% then you add more to it?

Resist Magic:
    "This ability allows the warrior to temporarily tap a great inner strength and fight off the effects of malevolent magic. For 4 rounds the warrior's magic resistance is set to 50%. This is not cumulative with other forms of magic resistance so if the warrior already has 50% magic resistance or greater, the ability is useless."

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Critical Strike, definitely. WW/GWW is largely redundant with good APR and Improved Haste, and Hardiness is only situationally useful since most of the dangerous damage is magical, not physical. Even though many enemies are immune to critical hits, getting automatic hit rolls is still great. And there's certainly enemies not immune... it's great fun to watch an Archer plow through a Beholder lair with CS!
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    The ability to have all your attacks crit for 2 rounds, then greater whirlwind attack for 10 critical attacks. I'm kind of on the fence as to whether that combination is much better than 2 rounds of crits at 5 attacks per round. I think the burst is worth it, especially if you're fighting an enemy that has contingencies that trigger at low health.

Depends on your party's makeup. It can be a good thing in some scenarios.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I normally end taking greater wirlwind attack, but this can be changed based on my characters, an dual wielding fighter with improved haste hardly need it. I'm think in try Hardiness later with the Dwarven Defender kit, the half walking speed is kinda of annoying but it's a win or win combo.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    kamuizin said:

I normally end taking greater wirlwind attack, but this can be changed based on my characters, an dual wielding fighter with improved haste hardly need it. I'm think in try Hardiness later with the Dwarven Defender kit, the half walking speed is kinda of annoying but it's a win or win combo.

Hardiness is definitely awesome, and having a Dwarven Defender locked in a chokepoint is going to make those pesky fire giants a non-issue.