Skip to content

monk as a thief? (find traps)

Looking at some Rasaad screenshots, can the monk actually find (and disarm!) traps?!

If so, why bother anymore with a thief (if you are not the "backstab with Carsomyr" kind, I mean...)?

--

Also, is Detect Illusions actually doing anything? In Black Pits, it didn't dispel any mirror images...

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited October 2013
    Only thieves can disarm traps.

As for Detect Illusions, your chance of success is proportional to your % in the skill.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @Ygramul - just like Jalily said - regrettably, only to discover them. Not to disarm. It can help a bit...if you don't have a Thief, the Monk can find the trap.
    Plan B for disarming traps is "Party member with highest HP".
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Jalily said:

As for Detect Illusions, your chance of success is proportional to your % in the skill.

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure that 100% detect illusions was not making any difference, even during "detect traps".

Working as intended?

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Southpaw said:

just like Jalily said - regrettably, only to discover them. Not to disarm. It can help a bit...if you don't have a Thief, the Monk can find the trap.

I would rather the member with the highest saving throws be the one doing it...
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Kaltzor said:

Southpaw said:

just like Jalily said - regrettably, only to discover them. Not to disarm. It can help a bit...if you don't have a Thief, the Monk can find the trap.

I would rather the member with the highest saving throws be the one doing it...
    Kagain is usually both. (In BG1)
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited October 2013
    really, it is

...and Edwin argues with Edwin
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Southpaw said:

really, it is

Not really relevant to the topic at hand...
  • Out of curiosity, is this something that could be modded, or is it hardcoded? A mod to make Monks (or a new Monk kit) trap-disarmers might be interesting.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    edited October 2013
    This functionality works out better in 3rd edition ruleset where Monks get evasion and can dodge trap damage.

But a monk who could disarm traps would make a great Kit option for the currently lacking Lawful Neutral alignment. 'Hand of Gond?'
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Flavor-wise I'd like to see an option for monks to smash traps the way you smash locks.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Southpaw said:

Not really an argument though... Just 2 statements, that are both true I reckon...
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Ygramul said:

Jalily said:

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure that 100% detect illusions was not making any difference, even during "detect traps".

Working as intended?

I believe the skill only works if you're standing still while "detecting traps".

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    @Wilbur: It definitely works while moving. It might take a while, though, and keep in mind that it's not always successful below 100 points.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173

@Wilbur: It definitely works while moving. It might take a while, though, and keep in mind that it's not always successful below 100 points.

Ok, my bad. I haven't really used the skill too much.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Like find traps, detect illusion isn't immediate. It checks periodically (twice per round, but I could be wrong) to see if each illusion is detected.

It can be cancelled by pretty much any action apart from moving, just like find traps. This includes being cancelled by AI scripts autoattacking.