Skip to content

Beta testers: The beans. Spill them.

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Anything new on the C/T lockpick/picpocket button?
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    How about the AI ?
    I believed that there were going to be improvements in the AI ala SCS.

Are ennemies less stupid ?
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    edited October 2013
    SionIV said:

@elminster said in this thread that that is not fixed in this patch.

Aranthys said:

How about the AI ?

I'm not in the beta, but I have not heard anything about that, and it would surprise me if that were the case. It's not a bad idea, mind you, but it would increase the difficulty.

As for making it more like SCS, I haven't used that mod, but my understanding is it mainly (exclusively?) dealt with mage AI and contingencies, and mage fights are already the most complex and challenging part of the game. Honestly I wish they would junk the spell/combat protection spells and lift the ones from 3.5e. They have the same effect with fewer spells and no need to consult a spreadsheet.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I haven't noticed any difference in the AI.
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    PugPug said:

SionIV said:

@elminster said in this thread that that is not fixed in this patch.

Aranthys said:

How about the AI ?

I'm not in the beta, but I have not heard anything about that, and it would surprise me if that were the case. It's not a bad idea, mind you, but it would increase the difficulty.

As for making it more like SCS, I haven't used that mod, but my understanding is it mainly (exclusively?) dealt with mage AI and contingencies, and mage fights are already the most complex and challenging part of the game. Honestly I wish they would junk the spell/combat protection spells and lift the ones from 3.5e. They have the same effect with fewer spells and no need to consult a spreadsheet.
    I really enjoy the complexity. It makes magic really seem like a school that needs studying to be mastered, like it should. It adds to the overall setting, even though you are not playing a wizard yourself.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    SionIV said:

Never tried a C/T til just this second to test it for you. The Thieving button is not on the default hotbar, but is under the Special Ability button. (f12)

So if the button not appearing at all was the issue they fixed it. If its that its under the SA button then no its the same.

Personally I'd put the Thieving button on the default bar and move either Turn Undead or Find Trap under Specials. Since both of those can be automated somewhat with the new scripts in the patch.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Turn Undead and Find Traps are both toggles, so putting them in the Special Abilities button would be complicated. The Thieving skill behaves more like a spell: you select it, you choose your target, and it goes.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    It's one of the most annoying parts with playing a C/T and the reason i normally don't play that combination. Having to go into the special bar everytime you want to open a chest, urgh.

And i agree with you on the Turn undead getting moved, you don't use it nearly as much and it's not something you spam. It's a one click button for a fight.
    edited October 2013
    Dee said:

Turn Undead and Find Traps are both toggles, so putting them in the Special Abilities button would be complicated. The Thieving skill behaves more like a spell: you select it, you choose your target, and it goes.

Then swap it with the backpack button. Its underused anyways.

(Edit: nevermind, I'm a moron. Removing suggestion for option that was always there. )
    Post edited by CutlassJack on
  • XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    @SionIV So true. None of my attempts at C/T have made it past the first 5 minutes. It'd be tolerable if the keybinds at least worked, but as it stands the "specials" icon has to be clicked first and then the bound key in order to work (as of 2014 anyway))
    Xanar said:

@SionIV So true. None of my attempts at C/T have made it past the first 5 minutes. It'd be tolerable if the keybinds at least worked, but as it stands the "specials" icon has to be clicked first and then the bound key in order to work (as of 2014 anyway))

Its a two press process currently for them. f12, then f1. Seems to work reliably. Its just annoying. Glad I never tried to play a C/T before. I like my thief skills too much.

• alnairalnair Member Posts: 561

Then swap it with the backpack button. Its underused anyways.

That would require three clicks to use backpack items...

But I think an even better option that would be incredible for every rogue are thief skill keyboard hotkeys you can customize in options. Button are nice but just being able to tap a 'T' key for thieving regardless of hotbar setup would be awesome.

You mean that's not working for you? I always map T to thieving abilities, it works for C/T as well.
    alnair said:

You mean that's not working for you? I always map T to thieving abilities, it works for C/T as well.

Boy do I feel stupid. I never noticed each of those hotkey options on the left were tabs for more button settings. Thats embarassing.
    So, does it work in the new beta then?
    Xanar said:

So, does it work in the new beta then?

Yup once I found the option, the hotkeys worked just fine. Just remapped all the thief skills to the keyboard and I'm one happy (if embarassed) rogue.
    Most excellent! Thanks for the update! @CutlassJack and don't feel badly, the obvious frequently owns me D;
    Dee said:

Has the bug where Turn Undead instantly shuts itself off if you activate it while attacking been fixed?
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    I might be the only one, but I've always wondered why Detect Traps is a toggle ability. It would be a lot more practical if it were just always on, especially if you're trying to sneak at the same time. Now you have to dance between Detect Traps and Stealth all the time, and it takes up valuable space on the hotbar.
    I dont mind that Detect Traps is a toggle, but it absolutely should be able to run at the same time as Stealth. I'm assuming it must be an engine limitation since it makes no sense otherwise.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    edited October 2013
    PugPug said:

Dee said:

Has the bug where Turn Undead instantly shuts itself off if you activate it while attacking been fixed?
    Pretty sure that's a scripting error, it's making the character to attack instead of standing around when Turn is activated.

I dont mind that Detect Traps is a toggle, but it absolutely should be able to run at the same time as Stealth. I'm assuming it must be an engine limitation since it makes no sense otherwise.

If those two abilities can't be activated simultaneous due to engine limitations maybe it would be possible to add trap detection to Stealth. So anytime you Stealth you automatically start detecting traps based on your trap finding skills.
    PugPug said:

Dee said:

That's a scripting mismatch - you order the cleric to turn undead and the script tells him to attack right away. There's new AI scripts for Clerics and Bards that let you toggle between turning undead/singing and doing normal combat. Similar to the Thief script that makes you search for traps in combat, but you can toggle the behavior with a key.
    Freche said:

Pretty sure that's a scripting error, it's making the character to attack instead of standing around when Turn is activated.

Southpaw said:

That's a scripting mismatch - you order the cleric to turn undead and the script tells him to attack right away. There's new AI scripts for Clerics and Bards that let you toggle between turning undead/singing and doing normal combat. Similar to the Thief script that makes you search for traps in combat, but you can toggle the behavior with a key.

I don't use scripts. It does it with AI turned off...
    @Pugpug - then it might be an error.
  • ShangShang Member Posts: 4
    PugPug. I'm not sure if all is clear. But you can't turn undead and attack at the same time with the same character. It's one thing or the other...
    @Shang I know.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, so let's leave it alone and I'll update my thread in the bug forum if I can get any more information.

I just tried to reproduce it in Candlekeep and wasn't able to, but maybe it's because I was solo. As I recall, I would attack as a party, select my cleric, activate Turn Undead, and TU would switch off and the cleric would attack.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I've come across a few small subtle changes since I started this playthrough. I'm only up to Nashkel, so I'm sure I haven't found everything. One thing is pickpocketing Algernon seems to require a specific level of pick pockets skill, no matter what the roll comes out as. Even when not detected, my bard gets the message "the target requires a better cut purse." or something along those lines. Perhaps he requires the quest to steal his cloak to actually be active. I'm not sure yet.

Another thing I noticed, is in the area South of Beregost, where the Flaming Fist would show up and accuse you of being bandits. Now instead of the one Flaming Fist, it's 3 of them.

Another thing I noticed, is in the area South of Beregost, where the Flaming Fist would show up and accuse you of being bandits. Now instead of the one Flaming Fist, it's 3 of them.

Damn! That was how I get my first set of plate mail...
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    PugPug said:

Damn! That was how I get my first set of plate mail...
    Meh, it's not like they're that hard. One sleep spell and they're all down, and you now get 3 sets of full plate :D
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited October 2013
    @DrHappyAngry Algeron mechanically has the cloak in his quick slots. Anyways, because of this you need 50 pick pockets to have any chance of taking it from him (at that point it shouldn't be too difficult actually).
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    PugPug said:

Now if only Escape opened Options...

THIS!