Skip to content

XP Bonuses/Penalties for Intelligence Scores

HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
I mentioned this in another thread but I feel I should give this one a shot...

As far as we know, INT is just a dumpstat for non-mages. All it's used for is learning spells and lore bonus which is pretty useless for the most part, especially for non-mages. Would is be possible to give the INT score more influence by adding XP bonuses/penalties depending on the character's score?

For example:
3-4 = -50% XP
5-6 = -30% XP
7-8 = -10% XP
9-12 = 0% XP
13-14 = +5% XP
15-16 = +10% XP
17-18 = +15% XP

On the character screen, INTELLIGENCE is the character's memory, reasoning and learning ability so wouldn't it make more sense to have a character with a high INT to learn faster than your average character while the mentally deficient ones learn slower? Characters with genius intellect would certainly thrive better with experiencing battles, thievery and questing than those who are not-so-mentally-capable.

It's a guilty pleasure of mine to have a character with Genius-Leveled intellect and this feature would make the INT score much more desirable for all classes. If it's possible, then I would love to have this feature. If not, then we can see what the modding community can do. The only downside to this that I can see is that it could potentially imbalance the game if done a certain way.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    I like the creativity of the idea. However, this is extremely biased towards mages.

But definitely the negative experience gain for low INT is a reason not to dump the stat.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    Boaster said:

I like the creativity of the idea. However, this is extremely biased towards mages.

You could also say that the Skill Point system in 3rd Edition is also biased towards mages since the higher your INT, the more skill points per level you can accumulate since mages tend to have higher INT scores.
    Boaster said:

But definitely the negative experience gain for low INT is a reason not to dump the stat.

Precisely. It just doesn't feel right playing as a mentally challenged hero/villain being able to perform all kinds of tasks and quests unless he was some kind of megasavant.

• BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    "D'guhhh... Hi, I'm Caldo. This is ma bruther, Krum."
    Boaster said:

"D'guhhh... Hi, I'm Caldo. This is ma bruther, Krum."

Uuuhh, hi! I"m Jimmy the dragon-slaying tard!

• FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    I always thought Charisma/Wisdom were the better dump stats because at least Intelligence increased survivability against Mind Flayers in BG2.
    Fenghoang said:

I always thought Charisma/Wisdom were the better dump stats because at least Intelligence increased survivability against Mind Flayers in BG2.

That is true about the Mindflayers.

Also, If I remember correctly, a higher Wisdom score brought better Save VS Spell chances and the lower the stat, the higher chance of spell failure. I read these in the manuals but I also heard that they were either bugged or never implemented. Perhaps if this stat was actually fixed then it would be more desirable.

Charisma, especially in BG1, Influenced NPC reaction rolls and thus gave you better rewards if invested in. It really did become a dump stat in BG2 due to few dialogue options and the fact that there's a ring early in the game that gave you a 18 Charisma score when worn.

• shout27shout27 Member Posts: 89
    no.
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    Heinrich said:

Also, If I remember correctly, a higher Wisdom score brought better Save VS Spell chances and the lower the stat, the higher chance of spell failure. I read these in the manuals but I also heard that they were either bugged or never implemented. Perhaps if this stat was actually fixed then it would be more desirable.

It annoys me to this day that they didn't implement these features; a feeling exasperated by it's mention in the manual. I sincerely hope that this is one of the fixes mentioned under the "400+ enhancements" on the front page.
    shout27 said:

no.

Why not? Do enlighten me.

It annoys me to this day that they didn't implement these features; a feeling exasperated by it's mention in the manual. I sincerely hope that this is one of the fixes mentioned under the "400+ enhancements" on the front page.

I hope so too because the manuals did promise some non-existent features that would make the game so much more interesting. This would definitely solve the "Wisdom Dump Stat" problem.
    Heinrich said:

shout27 said:

no.

Why not? Do enlighten me.
    Primarily because I think it would imbalance the Mage/Bard compared to every other class; secondarily there was something similar for almost every class implemented in 2E where if a character's prime stat: Str for fighters, Int for wizards, Dex for rogues, and Wis for Priests was 16 or above that character would receive an additional +10% to their earned experience points.
    I'd rather see that system return than have something as arbitrary as your Int squash your fighting development. When fighting depends more on muscle memory and your body remembering what to do next without you thinking about it.
    Lastly, it stinks of arbitrary munchkin-ism to me, particularly the penalty to XP gains at low values. It's the same sort of thought process and/or reasoning that WotC used to give almost every race (monster or otherwise), who had a bonus of to their strength a minus to their Intelligence.
    edited July 2012
    Mages and Bards are suppose to be intellectuals in fields of magic and lore so it would make sense that they learn faster. Yes, it could give them a major advantage but I always found mages to be vulnerable without physical backup and the fact that many enemies that you'll likely use magic against are either magic resistant or immune to magic altogether. Sure, you could use some spells to lower their magic resistance but how many can you cast? I'm not saying that spell casters are useless and there are people who make better use of them than I do but it's still not all that black and white.

Also, Monsters with a low INT are just simple brawlers compared to those with a sense of tactics and insight. You can't rely purely on brawn and brute force. A professional swordsman cannot be a pro without learning and applying new ideas to gain the upper hand in future battles. He'd just be predictable.

I have noticed that this forum is really uptight when it comes to games being perfectly balanced in every single way and I'm sure there could be a workaround system. All I am trying to do is make a stat less useless. I know that the developers can come up with better ideas than I can and I'm hoping they come up with a more useful ability score system.

While you do have some valid points, I still think it's a feature to at least try out.
    Part of the problem is that people don't look at the rules as a whole and try to follow the spirit of them, if not the letter. That same swordsman with 18/00 strength has so much of an easier time in physical combat with others that it takes less effort to learn everything related to his profession. But because he has a 4 Int (an animal intelligence), going by your proposed changed, all of that is not just negated. . . It's made so horribly obsolete that he's effectively a multi-classed character, when it comes to earning XP, with none of the benefits a multi-classed character receives.
    As far as balancing the bonus to XP is concerned, I always got the impression that it was less balancing and more of a measure of guaging how much more easily a character with so much natural talent/aptitude for the class found learning AND being able to put to use what he learned was. You can have all the knowledge in the world, and if you can't put it to use, it's worthless.
    Part of the problem, is that the things that would make the Int stat less useless, the language barriers and non-weapon proficiencies, were not implemented in the game. They were directly affected by one's Int and make a large enough impact in the hands of o good GM, that the loss of them can be felt. Adding an all encompassing bonus or penalty to earned XPs to try and replace it is a cheap and crappy solution IMO.

Yeah, as far as the whole 'Monsters who lack Int' argument is concerned, that's not what I was saying. I also believe I lack the eloquency to get my real point across without talking to you in person. Anyways, I'm getting off track, I'm sure that WotC thought something similar, and like you they overdid it. Breaking things that they shouldn'tave in order to make something 'useful.'
    The thing to keep in mind, is that to really make the Int Stat useful in the way it ought to be, they'd have to go through all the conversation options in the game and add Int requirements to any 'character epiphany' as the character needs to be able to solve the riddle and puzzles. Not the player playing him.

Lastly, I'm not so much concerned with things being balanced (they never will be IMO), I just want to play by the rules of the game. Are there situations where I can understand the designer's intent and understand why they made a change? Yes. This change isn't one of those. At all.
    Then let's agree to disagree.

Trent and the team are the artists so hopefully they have something planned. If it's nothing what either of us hoped for then we'll just turn to mods to suit our differing gaming styles. :)

• KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256
    I agree with the penalty to avoid intel being a dump stat, but disagree with the bonus. It would only favor mages - by a lot.
  • pacekpacek Member Posts: 92
    Makes more sense that Wisdom would matter more, just as it did in Planescape: Torment. Definitely INT means you have greater memory, but I see Wisdom as more real-world smarts: intuition or adherence to a code etc. The ability to apply what you've learnt. Though I've gotta wonder whether Clerics and Druids level progression implies this anyway (they level a bit faster if I'm not wrong). So any bonus would have to be minimal, (10% tops) but I'm all for big penalties, something rubs me the wrong way knowing you can drop WIS or INT to 3 and not face any consequence.

Also something to think about: ADnD rules say a character with 16+ or thereabouts in their primary stats get a 10% XP bonus anyway. Was this implemented in ToB? Kinda, because you always got 10% more than the reported XP, but that was across the board and not affected by any stat.
    pacek said:

Makes more sense that Wisdom would matter more, just as it did in Planescape: Torment. Definitely INT means you have greater memory, but I see Wisdom as more real-world smarts: intuition or adherence to a code etc. The ability to apply what you've learnt.

Yeah, that does make sense. One can look at it that Intelligence is book smarts and learning ability while Wisdom is street smarts and appliance of abilities.

And as a couple others have mentioned, maybe the XP bonuses are too high (thought I only put them down as examples) and maybe a 10% tops would be more balancing.
    I think you're all overthinking the matter and trying to punish the kids playing the game at this point. Leave stat changes not covered by the rules out of things.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2012
    Nice idea but needlessly unbalancing. Wouldn't mind seeing high int provide bonus spells per day though.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    I'd prefer nonweapon proficiencies
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Grammarsalad Problem is, they are not really needed in the game. None of the skills or NWPs are really used or needed.
  • GafanGafan Member Posts: 16
    If you use INT as a dump stat then your dialogue options become pretty limited. You miss out on a lot of the game's richness, both in gameplay and in quest rewards.
    INT Bonuses to experience are unneeded because classes get bonuses to earned experience from having the prime requisite of their classes be over 16 to begin with... or they should in-game.
    @ladyrian well of course they're not used! They aren't in the game! :) But in any case I think there are plenty of creative ways to implement something like nonweapon proficiencies. I'm not going to spam this thread any further with suggestions though
    @Grammarsalad- What I mean is, that none of the ones that would be really useful aren't already represented somehow in the game. Things like languages aren't used, and Legend Lore is subsumed into "Lore" as a whole. Neither do characters buy or ride horses, or spend time cooking and eating food, fishing, and so on. I mean, even some of the racial abilities, like "Sense depth underground", "sense sloping corridors" and "sense secret/concealed doors" aren't really used.
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    Way back to yesterday, I was playing Planescape Torment and wisdom was the stat that leads to faster experience gain.
    Just saying.
    @ladyrian are you sure? I bet you could think of an interesting "heal", "herbalist", "fletcher", "endurance" (involving the luck mechanic say), run, concentration (ok getting into 3e now with that but why not? sorcerer, for example sets a precedent)

I could go further but this doesn't really have much to so with the op. If you want to talk more about it I started a thread about it a while ago.

Way back to yesterday, I was playing Planescape Torment and wisdom was the stat that leads to faster experience gain.
    Just saying.

That is true.

However, in Planescape Torment intelligence already had influence on dialogue so I think they made wisdom to influence experiance gain in order to balance out the necessities of each attribute.
    Heinrich said:

Just saying.

That is true.

However, in Planescape Torment intelligence already had influence on dialogue so I think they made wisdom to influence experiance gain in order to balance out the necessities of each attribute.
    Actually, I think they did it to make it a worthwhile attribute. Additionally, by the time they added that effect, I think they knew that TNO wouldn't be able to function as a Cleric. Which would make Wisdom nearly worthless outside of a saving throw bonus.

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited August 2012
    Lack of use of Int is just an unfortunate side effect of this being a video game and not tabletop role playing. NWN did a much better job of using Int and Wis for non-casters.

An option is that Int and Wis ability scores could be used in the DLC as granting additional dialog options which may answer puzzles or quest, rather than just using combat.
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    Wisdom is used in Torment because you are re-learning intuitively everything you've already experienced. It's faster if you understand yourself better. Intelligence is the logical choice for attempting to learn about the world for the first time.