Skip to content

Two things I don't like

bnvdarklordbnvdarklord Member Posts: 15
I haven't played EE yet, but I'm following its progress since before its release, and it seems like a great edition of BG, and the constant support the developers show makes it even better.

There are only two minor things that bother me, and I was wondering if anybody else was feeling the same way. Or maybe there is some setting to amend these annoyances that I'm unaware of. Either way, tell me what you think.

The first thing that bothers me is the size of the buttons that manipulate the height of the text part of the UI. Their size makes perfect sense on a tablet, but they look too large on a PC.

The second thing that bothers me is the way the action buttons are grouped, in groups of 4. I feel this decision doesn't make sense. More often that not the quick spell and item buttons are separated, instead of being grouped together as they should. I'm guessing it's hard to group the buttons into relevant categories, but I don't understand why they need to be grouped at all.

Both these things are shown in the following image
http://www.gamedynamo.com/images/galleries/photo/3010/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-iphone-ipod-ipad-itunes-ios-mobile-screenshot-19.jpg

Again, not really complaining or anything, I love what Beamdog is doing. I just thought I'd share. Maybe everybody disagrees with my points, so Beamdog did it right :P

Comments

• OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    edited October 2013
    Not sure if serious or a troll...
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    edited October 2013
    I've grown up with the large buttons and am quite comfortable with their current form. With high resolution-gameplay I don't think they're an issue at all.

The action buttons are probably grouped the way they are to aesthetically correspond to F1-F12 on your keyboard.
  • bnvdarklordbnvdarklord Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2013
    Oh yeah, that's probably why they are grouped like that, it makes sense. It didn't occur to me at all, since I never used the F keys in any of my playthroughs.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Despite never using the F-keys previously, this recent UI change makes it feel much more natural for me. I love it.

Still wish they made the bar able to be customized so I could, say, remove Turn Undead for another quick-spell slot, but I'll take what I can get.

Oh yeah, that's probably why they are grouped like that, it makes sense. It didn't occur to me at all, since I never used the F keys in any of my playthroughs.

I use F1-F12, and the way they're grouped helps alot since the exact setup can vary quite alot from class to class.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    If those are the only two things keeping you from getting the EE I wouldn't be concerned. The buttons Fkey arrangement is specifically for PC users, which is the exact opposite of a tablet based decision of course.

The size of the Text window buttons are unlikely to bother you at all in practice. Especially once the new patch comes out and the Unscaled UI option looks much sexier. Especially the new Text window.

If those are the only two things keeping you from getting the EE I wouldn't be concerned.

They don't actually, I thought I'd just wait till BG2EE comes out in the hope of some retail edition with both games or something.
    Madhax said:

Still wish they made the bar able to be customized so I could, say, remove Turn Undead for another quick-spell slot, but I'll take what I can get.

This is a nice idea, btw. Is there a thread on it already or should it be requested?
    Indeed it is. The bar could even be fully customizable, that would be ideal.
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349

I haven't played EE yet, but I'm following its progress since before its release, and it seems like a great edition of BG, and the constant support the developers show makes it even better.

There are only two minor things that bother me, and I was wondering if anybody else was feeling the same way. Or maybe there is some setting to amend these annoyances that I'm unaware of. Either way, tell me what you think.

The first thing that bothers me is the size of the buttons that manipulate the height of the text part of the UI. Their size makes perfect sense on a tablet, but they look too large on a PC.

The second thing that bothers me is the way the action buttons are grouped, in groups of 4. I feel this decision doesn't make sense. More often that not the quick spell and item buttons are separated, instead of being grouped together as they should. I'm guessing it's hard to group the buttons into relevant categories, but I don't understand why they need to be grouped at all.

THIS....THIS IS WHAT BOTHERS YOU?... ;D

Yes, everything else seems so perfect, so I'm noticing the small things :P
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Madhax said:

Despite never using the F-keys previously, this recent UI change makes it feel much more natural for me. I love it.

I'm reasonably sure it was customizable in IWD2, and that was damn handy. So there's a precedent for this, at least.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Well if I were to steal anything from IWD2's interface, It would be weapon sets first. To let multi hand equip options be used easier with bows, etc. :)
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418

If those are the only two things keeping you from getting the EE I wouldn't be concerned.

They don't actually, I thought I'd just wait till BG2EE comes out in the hope of some retail edition with both games or something.
    You're probably better off taking advantage of the 75% off sale for BGEE now. That's an incredible price to get the first game at.
    Nic_Mercy said:

You're probably better off taking advantage of the 75% off sale for BGEE now. That's an incredible price to get the first game at.

It's a great price and I almost bought it, but I thought I'll wait. Which is perfectly possible since I've played the original games so many times, and still do occasionally.

I know it's probably never going to happen, but some time after BG2EE maybe they'll release a collectors retail or something. A man can dream.

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @bnvdarklord - you know mate...I don't know what are you talking about. The UI looks sexy.

(yes, what killed Silke is the Dark Moon Monk's new replacement for Chill Hand - +2 cold damage to all fist attacks. That's what I call "Cold Fisting")
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    Lateralus said:

I hate people that are intolerant of other peoples culture, and the Dutch.

And you are from Belgium?

Ontopic:

You can turn of scaling so the big buttons are gone if you like

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited October 2013

Ontopic:

True, for those who missed it:

"For PC users, we have a beta big screen mode: put this into your baldur.ini file: 'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '0',"

The baldur.ini can usually be found in the C:\Users\*username*\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition directory.

Note that in the near patch it will be an in-game option without the need to edit the .ini file.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903

Lateralus said:

I hate people that are intolerant of other peoples culture, and the Dutch.

And you are from Belgium?

Ontopic:

That's a quote from an Austin Powers movie. It's funny.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Indeed.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    I didn't knew that, sorry.
    So Austin Powers is from Belgium than? ;)