Skip to content

Error caused by SSC?

I'm playing BG2 now while waiting for BG2:EE and i just hit an error when i tried to walk into the crooked crane (Gate) . I never ever had this problem before and i'm thinking it might be SCS 24 causing it, but i'm not sure.

Mods installed :

Ascension
BG2Fixpack
Unfinished bussines
Rogue rebalancing
BG2tweaks
SCS 24
Widescreen mod

In that order.

When i enter the crooked crane i get this error and the game shuts down.

Assertion failed in CGamerArea.cpp at line number 5504

Anyway to repair this? I just had a fresh installation and it frustrates me that i got a game breaking error.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Probably a problem with the order the mods were installed, two mods modifying the same area in different ways. I'm not entirely sure what the best order is, though, you may want to google for threads on that subject I know they're out there.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Strange error. With such a limited setup, I'd suspect SCS v24 as well, given how new it is. Unfinished Business adds content to the Crooked Crane, but it's an old and tried mod.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited October 2013
    I didn't even install the Unfinished Business option. I used to play SCS 20 without problem, then i went to 22 and 23 but the dryad glitch in Irenicus dungeon was so annoying that i couldn't play with them. SCS 24 fixed the dryad bug but i can't get into Crooked Crane anymore.
    Do you have a baldur.err file in your install directory? If so, check what the last error entry in it says.
    Shin said:

Do you have a baldur.err file in your install directory? If so, check what the last error entry in it says.

I have a file like that but i can't open it with any of the programs i have.
  • AprilApril Member Posts: 39
    edited October 2013
    It's SCS. It also causes crashes in the Githyanki Lair in WK and supposedly one of the outdoor areas in the De'Arnaise Keep. It's been reported for quite a while on the SCS forums.

Edit: Oh, and if you installed any of the beholder components (and maybe if you didn't too, don't know) then one of the beholder's rays will also cause a ctd when it's used, iirc it was the flesh to stone one.

Didn't find any other CTD bugs when I tried it except an incompatibility with SR that causes CTD's, but you don't have SR installed.
    April said:

It's SCS. It also causes crashes in the Githyanki Lair in WK and supposedly one of the outdoor areas in the De'Arnaise Keep. It's been reported for quite a while on the SCS forums.

I'm glad to hear that.

You don't happen to know what the most stable SCS version is right now?
    If you play BG2, then I recommend version 21. After finally getting fed up with all CTD's in v24 that's the one I went back to.
    April said:

If you play BG2, then I recommend version 21. After finally getting fed up with all CTD's in v24 that's the one I went back to.

Thank you very much, i'll go for that one.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    The last non beta versions were SCS v21 and SCSII v21. Then they were merged to one mod, which is currently beta v24.
    Looks like the uninstall feature for SCS 24 doesn't work and i'll have to install BG2 again.

I love SCS to death and couldn't play without it. But the second you got it installed it's there for life. There is no way to uninstall it properly and if you add any mods after SCS you'll most probably glitch it or destroy your game.
    Iirc I used the last version of SCSII for my last BGII game. Stable, relatively bug-free, works well with other mods and also still containing the improved Irenicus in hell component.
    edited October 2013
    I'm starting to think that it might be SCS 21 causing my computer to lag. I'm not sure and don't really have any proof of this. But i have done the same installation (Same mods, same choices with the mods and same order of installation) and 22,23,24 hasn't caused any problem but the 21 is making my game lag some horrible.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Modding may make your game laggy. Did you install the generalised biffing mod? It helps.
    edited October 2013
    I have spent the last 2 weeks having horrible lag and did use generalised biffing but it didn't help. When i changed SCS from 21 to 22,23,24 i noticed that the lag went away. It might be something else but i got the same installation with the exception of changing SCS.

[Edited]

I'm looking at the SCS 24 forum now and there are some areas where it crashes.

Crooked Crane
    Watchers keep
    Githyan..... Lair
    And some areas in Baldur's gate.

It was mentioned that you could just keep backup and write the areas over the SCS one. Is this the only way to do it, what would it change and how do i do it?
    Just installed BGT again and not sure if i should play without SCS for now or try SCS 24. I just don't want to spend 8 hours in a no-reload and then can't enter a zone because it crashes.

The idea of playing without SCS is very scary, but i rather have a stable game than end up crashing somewhere.
    SionIV said:

It was mentioned that you could just keep backup and write the areas over the SCS one. Is this the only way to do it, what would it change and how do i do it?

If you want to use the backup files, that's kind of easy. First figure out what's the name of the area that's crashing. First install SCS. Then enter the SCS backup folder and search for that area file. Iirc ar0021 and ar0082 for crooked crane. Then simply copy/paste those files into the override folder and you're set.
    April said:

SionIV said:

If you want to use the backup files, that's kind of easy. First figure out what's the name of the area that's crashing. First install SCS. Then enter the SCS backup folder and search for that area file. Iirc ar0021 and ar0082 for crooked crane. Then simply copy/paste those files into the override folder and you're set.
    Thank you for that, learn something new each day.

Do you know how long it will take for these bugs to be fixed by SCS? I normally don't follow the mods and just upgrade version once every half year or something. I really like what they did with SCS 24 not to mention i love the installation where you pick everything you want first, and it will install all of it later.

Am i going to have to wait for 25 before anything is done with this?
    You will have to ask @DavidW that. :) From his recent activity however I get the feeling he's busy with something else atm though.
    edited October 2013
    April said:

You will have to ask @DavidW that. :) From his recent activity however I get the feeling he's busy with something else atm though.

All of this is his damn fault to start with, if he hadn't made such an amazing mod i wouldn't be in this position.

How can i ever go back to fighting normal Silke when the SCS version always take Jaheira away from me with a sequencer of Melph's acid arrows.

*Cries*
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    I anticipate a new SCS in a couple of weeks. (That's a prediction, not a promise. I have been known to be wrong in such predictions by 1200%.)
    edited October 2013
    DavidW said:

I anticipate a new SCS in a couple of weeks. (That's a prediction, not a promise. I have been known to be wrong in such predictions by 1200%.)

Thank you, i'm just glad that it got worked on. I used to remember in an old version where it was possible to rest next to the Dryads in Irenicus Dungeon. Was that part of SCS, and/if why did it get removed?