Skip to content

Gold Piece Total and long/composite longbows

#1 so this is something that I have been pondering, ever since bgee came out when you pick up loot from a baddy, there is no longer a gold piece total to tell you how much you have, now this isn't game breaking or anything, but why was that taken out? I liked seeing my gold piece total and sometimes I would pick up loot in certain ways to make my money look pretty and rounded off ( again not necessary but still bugs me just a tiny bit) is there no way to put that back?
#2 why was the animation switched on longbows and composite longbows, now this one bothers me a bit, I've played this game since the beginning of time so im used to having their animations reversed ( from the bgee perspective) I've never understood why it was like that, and its almost annoying, again not ground breaking but could that possibly be fixed? and for those of you who have never played the bg series, this has absolutely no effect on you lucky ones, but those of use who have played religiously, well, it just seems a little bit odd it was done that way, what is everyone's thoughts on this?
ghettohoodie

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Not sure what you mean with point #1, you can see the total amount you're carrying on the inventory screen.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I have to agree with the animation being switched on the composite longbows and regular longbows. It still kind of throws me off.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Shin said:

Not sure what you mean with point #1, you can see the total amount you're carrying on the inventory screen.

when you are in the process of picking up stuff off the ground that window that comes up ( ground items to the left, inventory items to the right) it also used to have the gold piece total there as well but for whatever reason they took it out

edited October 2013
    If it was a problem with the old build its been fixed in the beta

Edit: standby I have to upload a picture using a new account apparently hehe.
    ah, right on, quite the gold piece number there eh?
    jackjack
    did they fix the bow animations as well?
    edited October 2013
    Nope. Maybe @Dee can comment on it. Was it a design choice to switch the composite longbow image with the longbow image? (compared to the original BG1 I mean).
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I kept buying the wrong bow for Khalid. It got confusing.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    elminster said:

Nope. Maybe @Dee can comment on it. Was it a design choice to switch the composite longbow image with the longbow image? (compared to the original BG1 I mean).

That particular fix was first introduced by the BG2 Fixpack and it's the one change I will never ever agree with.

elminster
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited October 2013
    I remember the longbow icon swap being discussed way back. Apparently it was supposed to be the way it is now all along, so the change for BG:EE was just them finally fixing it. If you google composite bow, you'll see that, for the most part, they do look like the icon that is currently used for the composite bow (formerly the longbow icon), i.e. with the double curve.
    alnair
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited October 2013
    I mentioned #2 as a bug when the game first came out, but the dev's said that's what it's supposed to be.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/11837/longbow-and-composite-longbow-inventory-icons-swapped#latest
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited October 2013
    Yup the bow animations are supposed to be that way, it was mixed and wrong in the original game. I was confused at first when bg2 fix pack made them look like this, but I got used to it later. BG:EE has all of the fixes and cool additions of bg fix, tweak packs and 1pp mod, and more.

Your chance of buying off the wrong longbow for a fighter is slim if you choose the buyin with that character. If he can use composite bows they won't be tinted red, and a composite bow is better than longbow in any case, so if a fighter can use it he should go for it. When Khalid buys, composites are tinted red as he does not have the muscle to pull them off. (but the goblins in Irenicus dungeon could use them in vanilla!) It is a first upgrade for Kivan, our elven rambo, +2 damage means one shot kills against most lvl 1 enemies.
    Kilivitz said:

elminster said:

That particular fix was first introduced by the BG2 Fixpack and it's the one change I will never ever agree with.

Hmm...I never realized that.