Skip to content

{SPOILERS} Imoen's backstory...

Writing a fanfiction story I'm trying to work out Imoen's backstory before she came to Candlekeep. I'm just skimming through major facts more than what she had for breakfast most days and this is what I've come up with so far...

We're assuming that Imoen was saved from the same temple as the protagonist in 1348DR, to match up with their ages, with the protagonist being human and the temple planning to ritually sacrifice these Bhaalspawn after Bhaal's demise, 10 years on. The protagonist and Imoen are saved by Gorion and a group of Harpers, Gorion taking the protagonist back to Candlekeep. Imoen is taken by another Harper. The other two major Harpers that spring to mind are Elminster and Khelben, both of which still deal with dark and powerful enemies, so that somewhat rules them out as foster fathers. Plus, if it were to be Elminster, wouldn't Imoen recognise him when the group meet them at the Coast Way. Elminster is known for his shape shifting but in this case bears the resembling appearance that we all (Imoen included) would recognise. So it would have to be someone not linked in with the Bhaalspawn saga games.

Anyway, according to Imoen's biography, she goes to Candlekeep 10 years after the protagonist, at around age 10-11, seeing as they're saved as infants. 10 years after 1348DR is 1358DR, one of the most important times for the whole of Toril, the Time of Troubles. Imoen is sent to Candlekeep for her own safety, as now many more Bhaalyn's will be searching for the Bhaalspawn. And you're probably wondering "why didn't Gorion just take her with the protagonist straight away?", there's a simple explination that I can see...

The nature of a person cannot be truly deduced at such a young age, Gorion had no idea if these children would turn into heroes or villains. Think of the carnage Sarevok nearly brought upon Baldur's Gate, now imagine that x 2 in a small library fortress. It would mean the utter destruction of Candlekeep, even with great mages and clerics among the citadel.

So, to summarise:

- Saved by Gorion and Harpers
- Adopted by another Harper (not sure which one)
- Sent to Candlekeep just after the Time of Troubles

Just want to see if this would be a logical explination to Imoen's past prior to her travelling to Candlekeep.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I don't quite remember, but is it really mentioned explicitly that Imoen was also at the temple where CHARNAME was found? There's no reason to assume *all* of Bhaal's children were there, at the same temple, at the same time. Given that Bhaal was still alive at the time, there would have been no need for immediate sacrifice. It could very well be that children were still being gathered out in the world, and that Imoen had not, in fact, arrived at the temple yet when it was liberated.

As for what she did before Candlekeep, it could have been anything, really. Granted, I haven't actually read her in-game biography in like ten years, but I don't recall any specifics other than "she grew up with you in Candlekeep".
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    edited October 2013
    Elminster was busy with the Knights of Myth Drannor in 1348, Dancing in Storms garden in 1354 (not sure), at a Magefair in 1355, fighting Shadowmasters in 1358. So I don't think he had time for the little brat. :P

Mirt the Moneylender is a valid option to raise Imoen, he is a Rogue type so that makes it logical for Imoen to start as thief. In blackstaffs hands she would start as mage for sure.
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427
    edited October 2013
    @Lord_Tansheron
    I'm merely suggesting she was at the temple, it would bring the story closer together rather than her just pottering about and then ending up in Candlekeep. My suggestion is that the Bhaalyn temple was not just for sacrifice, but to teach the children the ways of Bhaal so they wouldn't resist their future sacrifice, it would be more of a duty. Obviously not all the Bhaalspawn were there, but those in that region or area, perhaps even taking place at the old Bhaal temple we find in the Forest of Mir (Throne of Bhaal).

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Imoen

In her bio it just mentions that little was mentioned of her past and that she came to Candlekeep 10 years after the protagonist.

@artificial_sunlight
    Does Mirt seem like a possible foster father for the time being? It's a good connection for her to acquire some early rogue skills but she still has to be raised well :P
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Lord_Tansheron -
    Nothing about her being from the same cult is mentioned anywhere. There's no info on her past before her arrival at Candlekeep.

@TethorilofLathander -
    It makes much more sense to just assume nobody knew of her being a Bhaalspawn. That way you get no obvious plot holes, like why she is left behind at Candlekeep.

If you really, really want Imoen to be from the same cult/temple (though it really turns into a big contrivance that CHARNAME, Imoen, and Sarevok all come from the same place and then also ends up at the the same place as adults), then I would have her be taken away by a fleeing cultist who later dies from wounds suffered during the escape or something like that, leaving Imoen to be cared by some some travelling merchants or entertainers or whatever who happened by and heard her crying.
    @scriver, you made some good points there! I'll have to rethink this, especially along the lines of why Gorion even took in Imoen.

If you've got any suggestions as to why he might adopt Imoen, definitely lay your cards on the table :D
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    Another point why separate locations during the ToT: If the hiding fails, at least one of the two would survive.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
  • If you've got any suggestions as to why he might adopt Imoen, definitely lay your cards on the table :D

It might have simply been to provide CHARNAME with a friend around their age while growing up. It seems like Gorion wanted to raise CHARNAME to be as well-adjusted as possible, so providing a playmate in the same age group would be a logical extension of that.

I wouldn't *completely* rule out the possibility that Gorion knew Imoen was a Bhaalspawn, though. Partially it depends on how you think Sarevok was tracking CHARNAME and other Bhaalspawn he wanted to eliminate. If he had some magical means of tracking the Taint (A Bhaal-dar, if you will), then yeah, leaving Imoen behind in Candlekeep seems like a bad move. On the other hand, if Sarevok was using alternate means, say evidence recovered from the temple raid linked to CHARNAME, then Gorion could leave Imoen behind and assume that she'd be overlooked. Indeed, the flight from Candlekeep may have been, in part, intended to draw attention away from Candlekeep and the Child of Bhaal still hiding there. Taking Imoen with you would have drawn attention to her that may have caused her nature to be uncovered sooner.
  • HadarHadar Member Posts: 171
    http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Imoen

"Originally Imoen did not exist in Baldur's Gate. Her character was a late addition to fill a non-psychotic-thief gap in the early levels. There was no recording budget left, so her lines were scraped together from voice-over left from a scrapped demo. The original character was a guard named Pique.

The model for Imoen's Baldur's Gate 1 portrait was the wife of the team's lead terrain artist, Dean Andersen."
    @Kaigen, I like that idea of the protagonist needing a playmate, though it might sound silly considering the later grand schemes, it sets a nice tone for the protagonist just being a normal child. Perhaps the travelling merchants that rescued Imoen fell on bad luck and couldn't provide for themselves and Imoen, so they sent her with a 1,000gp tome (which they failed to sell in their area and/or was a family momento) to Candlekeep, to give her a better life. There, she got along well with the protagonist, which Gorion noticed and invited Imoen to stay.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    edited October 2013
    @TethorilofLathander that *could* makes sense, but is also far fetched in terms of circumstance. Why would Imoen end up in candlekeep of all places? Perhaps the merchants fell upon bad times OR (what sounds logcial to me):

Some harpers/people with connection to the harpers heard about where Imoen was found from the merchants, thereby making them suspect Imoen also might be a Bhaalspawn. Since Gorion was already caring for a confirmed bhaalspawn it was determined to be a good idea to send her there in case she indeed was daughter of Bhaal. This would also make sense as to why Gorion didnt take her along, she wasnt a confirmed Bhaalspawn, and hadnt really seemed anything like it what with her easygoing nature.
  • @Aristillius I like that. I can see a Harper finding Imoen, suspecting she might be a Bhaalspawn because of circumstances but having no way to confirm, and deciding to pass her along to Gorion, thinking that he's the closest thing they have to an expert on Bhaalspawn, having raised one for 10 years (at the time).
    @Aristillius, that's a good concept, but wouldn't Gorion question why he'd been given another random child to look after with little explination? Even if she was passed on to Gorion for examination, would it really have taken him 9-10 years to find out?

My assumption for Candlekeep is based on an either/or situation. Either the travelling merchants were near Candlekeep and did it out of pure convenience, or because Candlekeep is a very strict place in terms of safety. It's no simple place for a thief to get in and out of, it's very safe indeed especially with Tethtoril there, who is considered the safest person in Faerun. But also, if you want one you care about to have a good upbringing you send them to somewhere that's going to do well by them and not influence them improperly. What I mean by this is that in Baldur's Gate or Athkatla etc there's always the other side of the coin, you've got the Flaming Fist but also the Thieves Guild, you've got the Cowled Wizards but also the Shadow Thieves. Whereas in Candlekeep it's just the sages really.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    edited October 2013
    @TethorilofLathander
    It's your story not mine =)
    Still, I find it implausible that merchants would randomly leave Imoen in Candlekeep. There doesnt seem to be other children in the keep, so it doesnt look like it is common practice to leave children there. It is through Gorion that you are allowed to grow up in Candlekeep after all.

Really, I dont think the monks would accept Imoen as a charge from travelling merchants, there is a difference between coming to visit through book-payment and actually taking care of a child.

Also, if it *was* an accepted practice in Candlekeep to take care of children, it is still unlikely that the merchants would happen to choose Candlekeep of all places. Why would the one other child from the temple incident happen to join CHARNAME there? Why not a temple, some guild or friends of the merchants?

As for Gorion taking being in charge of Imoen through the harpers, I would assume that the Harpers told him everything they knew about Imoen, and him agreeing to use his influence to get her inside Candlekeep. In this telling Gorion would still not be certain about her heritage when leaving - though perhaps suspecting it, or is there some way to determine Bhaal's heritage that is within Gorion's means?
    Post edited by Aristillius on
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I seem recall Imoen's BG1 profile saying it was a friend of Gorion that brought Imoen to the keep, specifically to put her under Gorion's care. So the "traveling merchants" theory would require at least a modicum of Harper intervention.

For the record, I still prefer the idea that Imoen was just another Bhaalspawn that the Harpers came across (not in the temple raid, but shortly before she was brought to Candlekeep, 10-11 years later) and was given to Gorion, the closest thing the Harpers had to an expert.
    @Aristillius, please, don't think I'm criticising your ideas, I just want to make this story as canon as possible and where there's plotholes, the most believable and meaningful shapes to fill them, hence why I need to weed out every possibility. You are being very helpful :P

Isn't it up to Ulraunt to decide who resides in Candlekeep? Ulraunt is heavily influenced by Tethtoril, who is a good friend of Gorion's. If Gorion wanted this child to stay in Candlekeep and Tethtoril agreed, then Ulraunt would be convinced somehow through Tethtoril's immense intelligence.

As far as Imoen going to Candlekeep rather than anywhere else, I think it would be quite a beautiful part of the story that they both began their friendship and ended it, so to speak, (when Imoen goes to create a thieves guild along the Sword Coast) in the same place. And that they began their lives in the same place but didn't actually know it until near the end of the saga when it is explained in Bhaal's realm. Why Imoen wasn't sent to a temple/guild/friend(s) there could be many reasons but I'm assuming here, just out of artistic liscence. Maybe the merchants weren't religious, many of them aren't. Guilds can be a secretive and deceptive thing to join, which might not be in the best interest of a foster parent for their child & with friends, maybe they operated in a very competitive business where they couldn't really accumulate friends. If they were travelling people, they would lose contact a lot more considering it's a medieval type setting. Or the simpler reason, that their friends didn't want/couldn't afford a child to look after.

With Gorion trying to determine who Imoen is, I think he would work quite hard to do that. Having a stranger in a place you call home, depending on you solely, you'd definitely try everything within your means to do so. This is where Tethtoril comes in. This is a quote from the Forgotten Realms Wiki page:

"Most Holy Mystra often whispers to Tethoril in his dreams, bidding him to do this or that and in this way has led him to unearth key spells from forgotten tomes; kept Elminster, Khelben, and the Harpers welcomed or at least, tolerated in Candlekeep; and kept Ulraunt from being seduced by darker powers (most recently, Cyric).

Although he doesn't know it, Tethtoril is one of the safest people in all the Realms. Three deities will protect him against any attack:

Mystra; manifesting as whatever spell is needed

Oghma; a wall of force conjured by a shadowy floating harp

Deneir; a suddenly appearing magical symbol (effects identical to the wizard spell of the same name) of one of the known types that flashes and discharges in his defense immediately after it is seen.

All three deities subtly aid Tethtoril in puzzling out the meaning of cryptic, faded, fragmentary, or forgotten script writings."

So he is blessed by having Mystra, Oghma and Deneir to help him determine script writings, I think they'd be able to help him determine Imoen's heritage.
  • So he is blessed by having Mystra, Oghma and Deneir to help him determine script writings, I think they'd be able to help him determine Imoen's heritage.

One potential problem with that: The Powers have been forbidden from interfering with the Bhaalspawn. Identifying a Bhaalspawn to one of your followers probably qualifies as interference.
    edited October 2013
    Kaigen said:

So he is blessed by having Mystra, Oghma and Deneir to help him determine script writings, I think they'd be able to help him determine Imoen's heritage.

One potential problem with that: The Powers have been forbidden from interfering with the Bhaalspawn. Identifying a Bhaalspawn to one of your followers probably qualifies as interference.
    True, but both CHARNAME and Sarevok have divine casters on their side, CHARNAME might BE a divine caster, and let's not forget Cyric personally attacking us in the pocket plane. Clearly, Ao cares about that whole "non-interference" thing as much as your average Starfleet captain.
    Perhaps the deities/gods couldn't interfere themselves personally (i.e. go to the Friendly Arm Inn and flick Tarnesh out of the way) but could go around the corner and be sneaky about it. With Cyric, perhaps that interference 'law' was restricted to Toril itself, with Ao not suspecting the Bhaalspawn would travel to different planes etc as it was more of a 'Bhaalspawn killing each other in cities to ressurect Bhaal', as even Bhaal didn't know his powers would be so prominent in them.

Perhaps the deities/gods couldn't interfere themselves personally (i.e. go to the Friendly Arm Inn and flick Tarnesh out of the way) but could go around the corner and be sneaky about it. With Cyric, perhaps that interference 'law' was restricted to Toril itself, with Ao not suspecting the Bhaalspawn would travel to different planes etc as it was more of a 'Bhaalspawn killing each other in cities to ressurect Bhaal', as even Bhaal didn't know his powers would be so prominent in them.

Good point. And given the way Mystra, Oghma and Deneir are described as helping with Tethtoril's studies, their "interference" was probably less in the form of an avatar of Mystra walking up to him and saying "Hey, that girl over there? Yeah, totally Bhaal's daughter." and more a case of Tethtoril coming across a book on how to spot demi-gods that "just happened" to come in handy.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Kaigen said:

:

I wouldn't *completely* rule out the possibility that Gorion knew Imoen was a Bhaalspawn, though. Partially it depends on how you think Sarevok was tracking CHARNAME and other Bhaalspawn he wanted to eliminate. If he had some magical means of tracking the Taint (A Bhaal-dar, if you will), then yeah, leaving Imoen behind in Candlekeep seems like a bad move.

Imoen sneaks out of the castle and follows you two right? Maybe Gorion knew that she would sneak out on her own. Maybe he knew that she was following you two and was probably going to invite her to his camp, but unfortantly he was killed before that happen.