Skip to content

What will you play as in BG2:EE?

Giving some thought to who my character will be in BG2:EE and I realised that I am going have a major problem

What class should I go with and what to do about healing?

I am already going to have the following:

Dorn - tank
Neera - mage
Hexxat - thief
Rassad - monk
Sarevok - (when he becomes available)

So that only leaves 1 slot open for half a game (pre-Sarevok) and clearly my party is missing a Cleric/Druid but those are my least favour classes to play as my main character. I couldn't stand playing as either of them as I love swords and dual wielding, I really want to play as one of the following options but not sure which:

1. Blade - I have never done the bard stronghold and my current team only has 1 magic user
2. Kensai lvl9/Mage dual class- I have never done this build but understand its totally badass
3. Fighter/Thief (multi-class) - I can imagine a fighter with UAI could be pretty awesome and ive never really used backstab much before although I really enjoyed playing as a swashy in BG:EE, with Hexxat I dont really need a pure class thief

I know balancing reputation is going to be a pain in the ass but I can live with that

Any input would be most welcome!

Comments

• MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Go with 1 or 2. Arcane magic rules supreme in BG2. I'd recommend grabbing Anomen for SoA; he's an annoying asshole, but he's a decent tank and great healer. Alternately, you could go with Viconia, as she's quite a powerful cleric, but not as tank-y. Whatever you do, DON'T play through SoA without a cleric; level drain's a b****, and druids can't cast Restoration, Greater or Lesser.
  • MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    Malicron said:

Go with 1 or 2. Arcane magic rules supreme in BG2. I'd recommend grabbing Anomen for SoA; he's an annoying asshole, but he's a decent tank and great healer. Alternately, you could go with Viconia, as she's quite a powerful cleric, but not as tank-y. Whatever you do, DON'T play through SoA without a cleric; level drain's a b****, and druids can't cast Restoration, Greater or Lesser.

I think you are right, option 1 & 2 have magic so make the game more interesting, im seriously thinking Blade as ive never used a Bard before, not even an NPC one.

Previously I have used Anomen but that guy drives me nuts, however hes quite a good fighter. As for Viconia, I really like drow characters however there is just something about her I really don't like...can't quite put my finger on it!
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Aerie cures your ills and has arcane magic. That way you have both a cleric and a mage, leaving your party flexible enough that you can be whatever you want. Blade is a good choice, but requires some management. The F/T would be fun too.
    edited October 2013

Malicron said:

I think you are right, option 1 & 2 have magic so make the game more interesting, im seriously thinking Blade as ive never used a Bard before, not even an NPC one.

Previously I have used Anomen but that guy drives me nuts, however hes quite a good fighter. As for Viconia, I really like drow characters however there is just something about her I really don't like...can't quite put my finger on it!
    Then that only really leaves you with Aerie. While I happen to love her, many people absolutely hate her, and as a duel-class character she tends to level slowly. That said, her other class is mage, aka "walking artillery piece." Like I said, a druid just won't do; you absolutely need the ability to undo level drains.

EDIT: ah, too slow. Whatever, the advice is the same, so a difference that makes no difference is no difference.
    pixie359 said:

Aerie cures your ills and has arcane magic. That way you have both a cleric and a mage, leaving your party flexible enough that you can be whatever you want. Blade is a good choice, but requires some management. The F/T would be fun too.

@pixie359 thats a good idea, I like the fact that she has access to both arcane and divine magic, I can get her very early and she is alot less annoying then the others.

Could you give some advice on the management you mean on a bard and what do you think about F/T, should it be multi-class or dual class? if Dual, which way around and which kit would you recommend?

Malicron said:

Malicron said:

Then that only really leaves you with Aerie. While I happen to love her, many people absolutely hate her, and as a duel-class character she tends to level slowly. That said, her other class is mage, aka "walking artillery piece." Like I said, a druid just won't do; you absolutely need the ability to undo level drains.
    @malicron, I think you are right, those damn vampires! There is no way I can take a single class cleric as it feels such a waste of a slot and although I prefer Anomen's build, Aerie is less annoying....

Malicron said:

Malicron said:

@malicron, I think you are right, those damn vampires! There is no way I can take a single class cleric as it feels such a waste of a slot and although I prefer Anomen's build, Aerie is less annoying....
    I always take Aerie unless I'm playing evil. And I hardly ever play evil. She's my preferred romance too, for that matter. And let me tell you, she get ludicrously powerful by the end of ToB.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I like the Kensai/Mage and Aerie option. You can never have too many spell casters. If you can't stand Aerie, then I would go with Viconia.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    Start as Mage and dual to cleric? Not sure wat level for the dual. Just make sure you have some MM's and MMM's
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    I'll probably going with a fighter/mage multi or a paladin, bit I think I have enough characters using two-handed weapons and it would be nice with someone that can reliably cast spells.
    My party is going to look a lot like yours, will take Viconia as I always have her in my BG2 playthroughs.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    edited October 2013
    I'll still be loving playing a Swashbuckler even with the likely event of taking Hexxat along as well. There's enough skills to go around for each to focus on other things. My swashbuckler usually focuses on the less obvious skills first (Like Pick Pocket and Detect Illusion) which leaves plenty of room for a second thief to be useful.

If Hexxat turns out to be a kit, this will be even more useful, as every kit other than swashbuckler has a skill point penalty. Besides, ambushes are even more romantic in pairs. ;)
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I'll continue with my chars from BGEE.
    (Swashbuckler, unkitted monk, Fighter->Thief, Assassin)

...I should try finish BGEE on my other play-throughs (DarkMoonMonk, Blackguard, Cleric->Mage)
    And maybe start with my planned Stalker play-through...when I finish the other ones...
    Sooo many rerollls...

In case we'd get an evil Ranger kit, I'd be all over BGEE with him again and then move over to BG2EE.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I will be playing my Fighter turned Assassin. She will cut a bloody swathe through Amn with her party of villainous villains.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited October 2013
    With the timely return of the Divine Remix mod on the 15th November, I will play my all-time favourite kit ever: the Oozemaster! :3 Either that or I play as an Amorphite of Ghaunadaur from the Faiths of Faerûn kitpack.
  • My first party is going to be similar to the OP's (though with Jan instead of Sarevok/the floating quester) and I'm going to be playing a Kensai->Druid. I generally don't rely much on divine casting, so I think a dual-class Druid will suit my purposes.
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    edited October 2013
    Im planning on dualling a Wizard Slayer from BG:EE to Cleric or possibly Thief.

Id prefer a multiclass but I also prefer Humans.

Or I might go for a Pure Conjurer.
    @Eudaemonium how do you make fighter->assassin, EEKeeper?
    @Dino we should play together because you seem to like the kits and classes I dislike the most, maybe you will be able to educate me and I will see the light!
    So after reading scythesong guide to blades, i am convinced I will use a blade. Anyone considering a blade in BG2:EE, I highly recommend that guide
  • true_shinkentrue_shinken Member Posts: 84
    Link to the guide?
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I'm thinking I will export my lawful good longsword fighter. He will pick up some of his old canon gang and probably add another person or two to round out his adventure. I want to finish my evil play through with my assassin and rekindle my flare with neera in BG2 and pick up dorn and my old pal korgan.

I will probably also try a neutral dragon disciple as well.
  • ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211

Link to the guide?

here you go:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_tips2.php

It's the third one in the list.
    CoryNewb said:

I'm thinking I will export my lawful good longsword fighter. He will pick up some of his old canon gang and probably add another person or two to round out his adventure. I want to finish my evil play through with my assassin and rekindle my flare with neera in BG2 and pick up dorn and my old pal korgan.

I will probably also try a neutral dragon disciple as well.

I never really played as a sorcerer but Baeloth was totally awesome.

@Eudaemonium how do you make fighter->assassin, EEKeeper?

Pretty much. Dual to Thief, then use EE keeper to change the kit and re-set the class level to 0. Load up the game and level up to get all the class perks. You'll end up with additional thief points and proficiencies that you'll need to remove, though, but after the set-up you can carry on levelling and it'll all work great (you'll get 15 thief points per level, poison weapon skills at the normal levels, etc. Increased backstab multiplier, etc.)
    edited October 2013

@Dino we should play together because you seem to like the kits and classes I dislike the most, maybe you will be able to educate me and I will see the light!

Im not implying that Im somehow able to work miracles with my choices :)
    But I prefer to use setups that are different, challenging, unusual or otherwise interesting in some way.
    'Powergaming' brings me little satisfaction. Especially in a single player story-heavy title like this.

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    @Dino i often time have a tendency to power game my charname but not really my party. my parties have mostly been sub par. my first time through BG2 I had no mage until Imoen and then she was my only mage, but it was the party I wanted. I don't really feel too bad that my charname has high stats, especially when I look at my brother sarevok's stats :)

I don't really feel too bad that my charname has high stats, especially when I look at my brother sarevok's stats :)

Absolutely. Imoen's stats aren't exactly balanced either, when you get right down to it. Add in the stats of all the Bhaalspawn enemies you'll face, and I never feel guilty about re-rolling for 90+ at character creation.
    Malicron said:

I don't really feel too bad that my charname has high stats, especially when I look at my brother sarevok's stats :)

Absolutely. Imoen's stats aren't exactly balanced either, when you get right down to it. Add in the stats of all the Bhaalspawn enemies you'll face, and I never feel guilty about re-rolling for 90+ at character creation.
    You could also try lowering the Difficulty settings, for similar effect ;)

I believe the best stories are the ones where you rise up from the gutter.
    Im pretty sure Frodo couldnt compare his stats with Sauron.

• TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I'll be continuing on with either my Blackguard or my Dwarven Defender who's almost finished up 1 so far. I wonder if he'll break the game with the defender of easthaven.
    Dino said:

Malicron said:

You could also try lowering the Difficulty settings, for similar effect ;)

I believe the best stories are the ones where you rise up from the gutter.
    Im pretty sure Frodo couldnt compare his stats with Sauron.

Yeah, but Sauron got nerfed.