Skip to content

TOB Tethyrian Army

XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
After you defeat Yaga Shura in ToB you have to cross the desert where the Tethyrian army is waiting to attack you. There are something like 50 soldiers spread across the map. It goes quickly compared to the major battles, but it's my favorite pitched battle in the whole series. I like how many options you have to show off your talents. It's even more gratifying to know that each soldier is probably stronger than you were at the end of BG1.

The soldiers mostly stay in place instead of endlessly spawning like the Deurger tunnels. This makes it easier to strategize and scout.

I'm curious if any of you have a favorite method of fighting the army. Any fun experiences?

Comments

• AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Step 1 - Greater malyson
    Step 2 - Wail of the banshee
    Step 3 - ????
    Step 4 - Profit
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Buff. Standard attack script on tanks. Go make a cup of tea.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    Web + Arrows + MMM
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Storm in, click Guard button, Click self, Click Greater Whirlwind.

Storm of Vengeance what's left.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    time stop + abi dalzim's OR
    IH on all fighters, AI on
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited October 2013
    this battle sux

install scsii improved ust natha def

fight 12 waves of drow fighters/archers clerics mages with archmage +golems matron mothers + demons

it goes something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nxRBeAsvNM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5FGgJku6lY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTVBLRYxAVw
  • jankieljankiel Member Posts: 127
    XerxesV said:

After you defeat Yaga Shura in ToB you have to cross the desert where the Thetyran army is waiting to attack you. There are something like 50 soldiers spread across the map. It goes quickly compared to the major battles, but it's my favorite pitched battle in the whole series. I like how many options you have to show off your talents. It's even more gratifying to know that each soldier is probably stronger than you were at the end of BG1.

The soldiers mostly stay in place instead of endlessly spawning like the Deurger tunnels. This makes it easier to strategize and scout.

I'm curious if any of you have a favorite method of fighting the army. Any fun experiences?

I fight the army the only way armies are meant to be fought. Slash with my blade trough them'all.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    kite 'em around in a circle till they're all bunched up then malison+WOTB.
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427
    I always find it strange how the Tethyrian army is after you and not heading to Saradush to help out XD
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2013
    Cause the battle is already over when they arrived. The reason they came after you is because you were framed for the destruction of the city by Melissan who met with the armies's scouts when they showed up to survey the damage caused and look for survivors.
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    my first time using horrid wilting. memorized a lot more after :)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Releasing Comets and Dragon breaths and watching those experienced, patriotic soldiers getting thrown around like rag dolls before you, as they horribly burn and get chunked...is kinda satisfactory. Looting every corpse for the magical gear to sell is pretty fun too.

Umm, I swear my charname was neutral good...-ish. It is the essence of Bhaal, I tell you!
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    lunar said:

Releasing Comets and Dragon breaths and watching those experienced, patriotic soldiers getting thrown around like rag dolls before you, as they horribly burn and get chunked...is kinda satisfactory. Looting every corpse for the magical gear to sell is pretty fun too.

Umm, I swear my charname was neutral good...-ish. It is the essence of Bhaal, I tell you!

Yeah, right, neutral good my arse. More like neutral evil. Did you fail one of the tests in Hell or something?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460

lunar said:

Yeah, right, neutral good my arse. More like neutral evil. Did you fail one of the tests in Hell or something?
    Heh, I guess I should have used mass invisibility or something and quickly flee the Oasis. (can it be done, with some enemy casters spamming true sight it might be problematic at best) Quest pack mod adds a new dialogue option with the Captain of the guard and he casts detect alignment and if you are good he lets you pass without incident. Although you miss out the xp and magical loot, ofcourse. :D

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    TOB just throws so much loot at you, it's almost unfair. By the time you're in Sendai's enclave you just stop bothering with plain old Elven chain and non-unique +2 weapons. Replay BG1 and try and imagine that.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I like my solo character going invisible. The army knows where you are and surround you, but cannot target you. Once every soldier on the map joins the party, i release a spell trigger: 3x sunfire. The screen freezes for a second and I see piles of burnt corpses. The survivors would go in panic mode, so I have to do spell sequencer: greater malision, web and stinking cloud to do some mop up.

Cause the battle is already over when they arrived. The reason they came after you is because you were framed for the destruction of the city by Melissan who met with the armies's scouts when they showed up to survey the damage caused and look for survivors.

That's in the storyline but realistically, your character has probably only been trodding about another 16 hours or so after the fall of Saradush to the Oasis area, to arrange even a small force such as that would probably take a longer time. Just seems slightly strange that, out of the whole Tethyrian army, they send 50 soldiers, even if it's just to deal with you. Where's the rest of them? And where did they originally come from? Must be a city out there really not pulling their weight during the Bhaalspawn crisis.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    Planetar or Dark Planetar is your friend.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I've always enjoyed charm spells; whoever looses the ensuing fight, I win.
  • DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
    edited October 2013
    I go in solo (no room for the rest of party for the damage I like to unleash) with my Bezerker/Mage and I buff him up with spell triggers like fireballs and chain lightning. Then I go into the slaughter with pieces flying all about, and my heavly enchanted character runs a black swath of death with his spells and swords. I honestly love this battle too. And when my character falls to hp of 50% the contegency is unleased with sunfires and stoneskin. Then I hit the creshando with the last soldier with disentagrate or flesh to stone. Sequencers, Contenegency, Spell Trigger, and maybe a timestop. Yeah.
  • DreadnaughtDreadnaught Member Posts: 92
    lunar said:

lunar said:

Heh, I guess I should have used mass invisibility or something and quickly flee the Oasis. (can it be done, with some enemy casters spamming true sight it might be problematic at best) Quest pack mod adds a new dialogue option with the Captain of the guard and he casts detect alignment and if you are good he lets you pass without incident. Although you miss out the xp and magical loot, ofcourse. :D

Naaaaa my way is better.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    lunar said:

It's not evil to slay that army in self defense.

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    hardiness of the warriors, stoneskin/protection from magical weapons on the mages and let the party loose, party wins, army falls, don't even do any buffing ( i always finish watchers keep before i come here, so i guess that helps quite a bit)
    edited October 2013
    @TethorilofLathander

It's because of the timeline. Tethyr has literally just ended a 2-ish decade long civil war (started when Jaheria was around 1-4 years old), and had it's monarchy restored. They sent what they could, when they could. THey likely started marching awhile ago, and were coming to try and break the siege, but got there too late, and after you were framed, and told which direction you were heading, they holed up on a critical area they knew your group was likely to pass through. It's actually pretty likely they were simply camped at the Oasis, before beginning the final march to Saradush once their scouts returned, but changed gears when they got their report back.

If you pay attention in Saradush, the main reason so many people came there in the first place is because the actual Tethyrian government hasn't even begun to recover yet, hence why the army you're attacked by is part of a mercenary army they hired to try and keep the peace while they put the country back together.
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
    @ZanathKariashi, thanks for the info! :D

Just to double check, even if it's a bit off topic, Jaheira is 23-26 during the iron crisis?
    Probably closer to 25-30, if you want to play it safe, taking all of her backstory elements as a whole.

It's hard to say though...her bio says she was taken to the druid grove as very small child (around 5 or under), but her romance and ToB stuff places her closer to 6-10, possibly even teens.

• blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    I feel bad about killing them, actually.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    I love just smashing my way through this battle. One of the few big, strait forward melees in the whole series.