Skip to content

Half-Orcs

KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
As we all know, in BG2/BG:EE half-orcs receive a +1 bonus to Strength and Constitution, as well as a -2 penalty to Intelligence. Nothing more and nothing less. However, from an AD&D 2nd edition P&P perspective this shouldn't be the case. If we closely look at the Complete Book of Humanoids, pages 49 to 51, we'll see rather different racial ability adjustments and even special advantages for our green friends:

Ability Score Adjustments
Half-Orc: +1 Strength, +1 Constitution, -2 Charisma.

Special Advantage
- Orcs and half-orcs have 60-foot infravision.
- (Single-classed half-orc characters with exceptional ability scores can also advance to higher levels than normal. But since BG/BG2/BG:EE didn't implemented the level limit for demi-humans rule, this will not be part of my feature request)

Comments

• OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    I always thought it odd that half-orcs could have 18 charisma and dwarves could only get 16. The intelligence penalty I understand but since the half-orc isn't even able to choose a class that uses intelligence it is completely and utterly pointless, it is like half-orc doesn't have any penalties whatsoever.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited October 2013
    Neither half-orcs nor orcs have a Intelligence penalty in AD&D 2nd edition PnP. In truth, orcs were skilled miners and tacticians of Lawful Evil alignment, similar to hobgoblins. The image of drooling orc savages only came later with the arrival of the 3rd edition... probably because of another Tolkien influence wave within the offices of WotC. :/

Anyway, the official -2 Charisma penalty would at the very least negatively affect the reaction rolls of NPC's, as well as more expensive shop prices. Also, I could never understand as to why half-orcs didn't received their 60-foot infravision all this time.