Skip to content

Enjoying the game, but frustrated with constant buggyness

I've only made it to Beregost, but I'm actually enjoying the game much more than when I played it the first (and only) time years ago.

But the bugs... I don't remember when I've struggled with a game as much as this one. It feels like I'm beta testing a game.

Right now, for the second time, I am suddenly unable to enter any buildings, or exit them, but this time, exiting the game and reloading didn't immediately seem to work. Reloading an earlier save worked only on the third try. I got the game in the Steam sale, so I didn't pay much for it, but I have to say that this experience has made me rethink my eagerness to buy the BG2 enhanced edition as soon as it comes out. As much as I love BG2, I'd be really ticked off if I paid full price for something as a buggy as this.

Perhaps it would have been better to have the Steam sale AFTER the coming patch had been released, not before, because this is certainly not good advertisement.

Comments

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I feel sorry for you. In all my years of BG/BG2/BGtutu I have never encountered bugs such as the ones you described. Perhaps try to reinstall the game?
  • SwordfishtromboneSwordfishtrombone Member Posts: 27
    And.... it happened yet again. That didn't take long. Stuck inside a building again.

I think that's enough struggling. I'll wait for the patch to continue the game.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Have you tried zooming in and out to the max and try again? Sometimes I find myself unable to click on a chest or creature, they just don't respond, I zoom in to the max and zoom out to the max and try again, it works then.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    The developers have no control over when Atari decides there should be sales.

So, it's not entirely fair to blame them for the timing.
    Haven't tried the zooming - may just have to give it a go. Thanks. Still dreading what I'll encounter next, given that I haven't been able to play half an hour without running to some bug or the other thus far. Perhaps I'm just really unluky, and have hit every possible bug that you CAN hit. :)

The patch can't come soon enough for me.

As for the sale, whether it is Atari, the developers, or some combination of both, I think the timing was pretty unfortunate, given that there is a patch coming soon.
    Just tried the zooming in and out to the max, and unfortunately, that did not fix the problem. I think I'd better just wait for the patch.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Beamdog definitely had no control over the Steam sale. :)
    So.... I got back to trying the game yet again, and I've experimented with this "suddenly can't enter/exit buildings or leave areas" bug a bit now, and I THINK I just may have found the cause and a possible solution.

I tried disabling "Steam Community In-Game", and after I did that, the bug has not yet re-appeared. If anyone else is having this problem, then try disabling this feature (right-click on Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in your Steam library, select "properties", and uncheck "Enable Steam Community In-Game")

I don't know whether this is the cause for certain, but this bug happened very frequently before I tried this, and now I HOPE I've seen the last of it.
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    That seems rather odd to hear, since before I joined the beta I was launching my Beamdog copy of the game through Steam as a non-Steam game so I would have access to the overlay while I played. I don't doubt you, it just seems strange is all.
    I think it's pretty much confirmed now - at least for me, the bug was caused by the the enabled "steam community in-game". Have played for quite a while now, and seen no more of this bug, now that the feature is disabled. Glad that it turned out to be that easy to fix. :)
  • MarekkMarekk Member Posts: 13
    If you really want to confirm, you should re-enable "steam community in-game" and see if you get the bug again. Positive effects are always more convincing than negative ones
    Strange. Tried switching back the "steam community in-game", and the glitch has not returned - at least yet. Could it be that there was something that had gone awry, and simply switching this feature off and on fixed it? Really odd. But not complaining. As long as I can move around ok, I'm happy. :)