Skip to content

Game slowdown and freezing problems

I have logged probably 20 or so hours of gameplay with no issues at all. Very recently however, the game started slowing down intermittently (long loading times during transitions in and out of buildings, unresponsive input for ~1 second, then back to normal) and outright freezing. This did not happen until I went into the Gullykin village and Firewine ruins, though I am not certain that is the root cause. I can no longer play the game - within 10 minutes it will freeze and force a reboot.

The first time it happened was following a Windows 8 update. I had forgotten that the update was installed and did not immediately restart my computer. The game froze and following the hard reboot, the update was applied and configured, apparently successfully. Again, I am not sure that this is the cause, but the problems did not start until after this happened.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited October 2013
    If you have a second machine, install BG:EE there, then copy your saves (C:\Users\\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save )

Try to load the save on the second machine and see whether the issues also appear there. If yes, it's a game bug, if no, then you'll need to reinstall win8 on your machine the problems occur.

If you don't have a second machine, i'm happy to try out your save. Upload it in a zip archive.